3dsMax 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Does anyone know when the release date is?

A couple of new features , more importantly a lot of under the hood fixes and improvements. I am looking forward to see a detailed list of improvements and fixes.

03 March 2013
Yeah like most releases the good stuff is not mentioned, and will take months of playing around with to discover.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by rock: I was expecting some features like this. You start up both Maya and Max. Then speak to your microphone:

"Maya, get me a character of a little Asian girl, about 7 years old, 3.5 heads high, a little chubby, with a ponytail, wearing a polkadot dress". The base little girl is created for you.

"Maya, make her run, a little unsure cute run with outdoor noon lighting".

"Maya, transfer this to Max and texture her with clear complexion".

Then you would only sit back and tweak here and there. I think most of this is possible. Why keep pulling vertices and polygons, creating bones, binding skins, projection this and that, and merging seams and moving lights in a primitive way after all these years.

We need to change our traditional ways of thinking. Then, the software will change for us.

I think you should download Daz 3D. Its free anyway.

03 March 2013
Quote: Originally Posted by rock
I was expecting some features like this. You start up both Maya and Max. Then speak to your microphone:

"Maya, get me a character of a little Asian girl, about 7 years old, 3.5 heads high, a little chubby, with a ponytail, wearing a polkadot dress". The base little girl is created for you.

Then you would only sit back and tweak here and there. I think most of this is possible. Why keep pulling vertices and polygons, creating bones, binding skins, projection this and that, and merging seams and moving lights in a primitive way after all these years.

We need to change our traditional ways of thinking. Then, the software will change for us.

aw man, how could you let out the secret of the 2020 release ahead of time. thanks for spoiling the surprise

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by rock: I was expecting some features like this. You start up both Maya and Max. Then speak to your microphone:

What kind of render times should I expect ?

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

03 March 2013
I'm not particularly pleased with paying around $1000 in subscription over the past 2 years for the features that have been added, for my part of pipeline I can't really knock max, modeling tools are great when you look at something like Maya's toolset(finally a retopo tool, welcome Maya you are 5 years late to the party.) I've worked in both Maya and Soft pipelines creating models in Max.
That said, there are definitely areas that need some attention in 3ds.
My DigitalTutors

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door

03 March 2013
What drives us crazy in work is the unclear state of character animation tools. There is the poor old biped (which was great at the time and still may be ok for some tasks), the great but hardly usable CAT and virtually no improvements in character animation tools in the past few version.
CAT would be such a great tool, but every release of max breaks it in different area forcing us to obscure workarounds and even not using some features. Talking directly to Autodesk never seems to help.

If CAT/character animation tools would be taken seriously in Max we would be ideally looking forward some new features, but the sad thing is that for the past few versions we are only looking and hoping for bugfixes. Having a max release where all the features of CAT (that are there for ages now anyway) would finally work flawlessly would be an amazing release for us (which again says a sad lot).

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by doCHtor: What drives us crazy in work is the unclear state of character animation tools. There is the poor old biped (which was great at the time and still may be ok for some tasks), the great but hardly usable CAT and virtually no improvements in character animation tools in the past few version.
CAT would be such a great tool, but every release of max breaks it in different area forcing us to obscure workarounds and even not using some features. Talking directly to Autodesk never seems to help.

If CAT/character animation tools would be taken seriously in Max we would be ideally looking forward some new features, but the sad thing is that for the past few versions we are only looking and hoping for bugfixes. Having a max release where all the features of CAT (that are there for ages now anyway) would finally work flawlessly would be an amazing release for us (which again says a sad lot).

I think the main problem was that max team had to rewite the entire CAT code. When max team got CAT through Softimage acquisition, all the original developers had left. Max team rehire one of original developer later and rewite the code.

They are spending a lot of resource for CAT now. I heard that there are a lot of fixes for CAT in 2014.

03 March 2013
I use Max and have to say that I'm totally underwhelmed, not just by what is 'new' in Max 2014, but by all of the Autodesk 2014 releases as a whole!

It really bugs me when they sell 'new' versions on what are essentially, for the most part, fixes to broken software. Nitrous viewport improvements? Really? C'mon please! If you're admitting that it wasn't right in 2013, where are our refunds for being duped into buying half finished software last year?

You don't spend a small fortune on a new car to discover that it's missing an engine, and be told you have to stump up the same amount of cash in 12 months time to enable your car to run, so why should software be any different (and games to some extent - We're not totally without blame in this regard).

Grumble grumble!

03 March 2013
well, for my 52% price rise on subscription this year (u.k.) i'm not exactly dancing a jig with what's been announced for new features in 3dsmax 2014 but i'll hold off screaming/celebrating until i try out 2014 as i'm curious about all the small new things/fixes for 2014 compared to the 'slug' of 2013.

yeh ,ever optimistic!

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

03 March 2013
http://area.autodesk.com/2014unfold...cts/3dsmax.html

Hi Chris.... I don't see.
"Why is this such a piss poor excuse for a release?"
"How can you Justify 2,334.50 for an upgrade for people milling about, Vector maps and some funky particles?"
"Why is a upgrade only 1 LESS than buying new?"
"Why are you pushing fixes for hings that should have worked in the first place as new feature?"
"Why don't you fix all the broken stuff?"

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by gandhics: I think the main problem was that max team had to rewite the entire CAT code. When max team got CAT through Softimage acquisition, all the original developers had left. Max team rehire one of original developer later and rewite the code.

They are spending a lot of resource for CAT now. I heard that there are a lot of fixes for CAT in 2014.

Autodesk acquired Softimage 4-5 years ago and CAT had been included in max for 2-3 versions/years. It was rewritten in SP for 2012, after rewrite it had bugs, in 2013 it has even more bugs. For all that time it had close to zero of new features. Really hard to believe Autodesk cares for CAT or animation tools as such (yeah, there is the crowd simulation in 2014, but we first need solid character animation tools).

03 March 2013
Is it just me, or does it seem like more time and effort has been spent on re-branding the ADSK logo and website than the software itself?

All style, no substance.... site does look nice though!

...Now where's that MODO 701 trial?

Last edited by gingamonkey : 03 March 2013 at 12:54 PM.

03 March 2013
The latest versions of Houdini, Modo, Lightwave, Cinema 4D and Blender see major progress in updates. Autodesk on the other hand..... Shame really. I would be a Softimage user now if it wasn't bought by AD and given little love.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by gandhics: I think the main problem was that max team had to rewite the entire CAT code. When max team got CAT through Softimage acquisition, all the original developers had left. Max team rehire one of original developer later and rewite the code.

Ohhhh how i WISH THAT'S TRUE!!!

Nildo

Thread Closed share thread