Stop Staring 3. What do you want?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
Cooool....are you gonna cover hair/fur? Are you using Maya tools for this or is it Shave?

03 March 2010
This is straight-up Maya stuff. I'm not going into almost any detail about it. For what I needed to do, and what I did do, there's incredibly little to discuss, actually. I show shots of the maps, and have about a para on it, but that's about the extent of it. With my limited page count, I always need to steer stuff back to specific face tech and art. Anything spent on topic A comes out of topic B, you know?

03 March 2010
I hear ya, and I'm glad that the focus of the book is in the right areas. I'm one of the folks who was asking for more details on the face tech

That being said, I have yet to get decent results out of Maya hair or fur for actually creating hair or fur. The blame for that definitely lies between the chair and the keyboard, but I'm sure even a quick half page or so on general tips/tricks/ideas for working with that stuff would be appreciated by a lot of folks.

Looking forward to the new book! Put me on the pre-order list

03 March 2010
I actually had one last chance to affect this ( I am actually doing the author-review-edit on the exact section you asked about right now ). I puffed it out a little bit to include a couple of tips. Again, there really isn't *too much* to even talk about, but I threw in some pointers. Good timing on the request. When I send this file off in an hour, it's locked down but for spell check and layout.

03 March 2010
It was suspect Three Officer! He was the one who robbed me!

I love the evolution of the "head" over time. Nice progression. I am looking forward to what you have written on secondary controls and any joint based facial set ups. Not that I don't like blend shape based just that no one writes about joint based.

So how long till it should hit the shelves? Inquiring minds want to know.

03 March 2010
Well, I'm quite a bit behind . That happens every time. I procrastinate a little, then other work comes up, then I fall behind more because of that, then I jump into it full strength. Once I do, I realize that I can do 10x the quality improvement, in either ideas or visuals, but it'll take 2x the time, and then I spend a ton of time going down that road.

Right now, it is uncertain. I'm hoping we're on shelves before the summer is up.

As far as joint setups, there isn't going to be *too* terribly much, in terms of JOINTS-ONLY setups. I definitely am going into really strong secondary controls, which are done through joints (done in a way that I think a lot of people will be excited about... it's a method that seems like it should fall victim to cycle problems, but doesn't. Controls affect each other as well as the mesh). That could be almost entirely it's own rig, I just rarely use it that way. I think you'll be happy with what is in there.

03 March 2010
Sweeet...the secondary controls/cycling issues are something I'd LOVE to learn more about. Looking forward to it!!

03 March 2010
less modelling.

cornea bulge?

04 April 2010
hey Jason, I just wanted to say - congratulations on finishing the book! I hope you understand how much impatient we all are already:]

04 April 2010
Hey Jason,

I have been reading your book, more on the facial rigging side of the book. It's a fantastic book with more information that I can handle. I feel like you do a great job explaining steps and it also gives you a way to figure things our for yourself. With that being said, I would like to request for video tutorials. For me, I would like from the start product of rigging, to the end product, and all the steps in between. You would appeal to more than one/two different learning styles, and throw another one out there, visual. I do like how you explain everything, but I may not be doing this right, and it would be nice to see someone that knows what they are doing to show each step. I am a visual learner, and I am sure there a lot of people out there that are also.

Please consider this, and even if you do not put this in your third edition. Maybe there is a chance that I could convince you to make a video tutorial of the facial rigging and post it on cgsociety so people could use it for reference. Or anyone for that matter. Thank you for your time and reading my post.

Josh

07 July 2010
Hi Jason. The links says its a private photo.
"Life is animation and we are our own animators." -i

07 July 2010
I can't view the image either. But I can SAY that I'm super stoked for this book Loved the 2'nd edition, and I will probably love this even more.

Thank you for your hard work Jason

08 August 2010
I really look forward to this book. I bought the first addition a while ago.

I agree with needing more info for toon face rigs. Particularly using clusters/joints for editing of morph driven, or mocap driven face animation.

Just want to say that even though its maya oriented, you've found some fans in the cinema 4d community.

Thread Closed share thread