Body Articulation, The Art of Moving Points.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2009
Originally Posted by HippyDrome:
That is a good ?. I add this in the bone movement because the target would be a liner motion if I did'nt have the pt.s move on the bone arc. I look at it as the animator would, every thing is moving on an arc. By adding weights to the bone movement the less likey you can spot the liner change.

cheers,

HD

That makes alot of sense, thanks.

02 February 2009
Hi

Update the Torso section.
http://www.hippydrome.com/TheTorso4Parts.html

and the look of one of the opening pages.
http://www.hippydrome.com/Sketches.html

I hope to get to the legs this weekend or so.

cheers,

HD

02 February 2009
good stuff, keep it going!

Just few quick questions, is your clavicle bone = shoulder bone? Also, I see that you use a lot of corrective shape, is there a reason not using extra muscle bone? and is that how Pixar rig most of their organic characters? and dose that get you better result? Thanks!

02 February 2009
i presume this technique still gets most of what can be done with classic skinning techniques (including twist bones and stuff). the less shape tweaking needed to be done via correctives, the better the result.

02 February 2009
Hi,

The shoulder motion is the whole shoulder action and rotates from the clavicle. But it is not set in stone. Some chars have the rotaion pt. in a different spot.

is there a reason not using extra muscle bone?
.................................................. .................
Not sure what this means.?

The arm is broken up into four parts on this char. The shoulder,arm,elbow and hand, each with its own blend shape for the forward/back and left/right motion. Some times for the Twist.

and dose that get you better result?
.................................................. ......
It gets the results that I need for the type of look that I am going for and is a very fast way for me to get there. It takes about a hard week to make this char body to come to life at this quality. The hands and face are the other two parts that take longer. This is a off the fence type character and is not trying to be a FX type human. This body is also ment to have cloth over it so you only need so much to get the illusion of bone/muscle movement under the cloth.

cheers

HD

03 March 2009
any new update on the site?

03 March 2009
Hi,

Not in the last two weeks but I am working on some stuff for this week.

cheers,

HD

03 March 2009
Hi,

Added a small bit, I hope to add the rest of the leg and arm stuff in the next week. Once that is done I can start explaining the articulation methods much better and then I hope to get into some of the modeling parts started.

http://www.hippydrome.com/Legs.html

at the bottom is: http://www.hippydrome.com/LLeg.html

You can see a bunch more of this type of mesh in movement on May 29th. All of the chars
that I worked on were based off of this same mesh.

cheers,

HD

03 March 2009
I appreciate your efforts and sharing this with us. This is invaluable. Thanks
"Life is animation and we are our own animators." -i

03 March 2009
oh this is a really great ressource! Thanks a lot for shearing such valuable knowledge!

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by HippyDrome: Yes, but all the body stuff is just a rotation with a morph target fired befor or after the bone rotaion.

I understand firing the morph after the bone rotates or gradually turning the morph on as the bone rotates, but what do you mean fire the morph before the bone rotation?

Thanks!

03 March 2009
this just simply means deformer order is tweak->blendShape->skinCluster

03 March 2009
I have another question: The thing I hate sculpting blendshapes is its hard see what verts will influence the source mesh. I was messing with comet's PoseSpace deformer and its great but I wish I could use it without the poseReader. Meaning, I want to be able to sculpt the geometry of a blendshape as the joints are posed, but then just keep the changes I made to the mesh when scupting so that I can just add it as a regular blendShape.

My question is, does anyone know of script that will analyze the mesh of a pose, save that data, then sculpt the mesh, and output just the changes you made?

Edit:

I found a Maya plugin that does exactly what I'm looking for, it helps you sculpt the blendshape. http://www.b-ling.com/

Last edited by mberglund : 03 March 2009 at 02:53 PM.

03 March 2009
Hello,

I hear ya and it is hard to do this type of work with out it. Most studios have this as part of there work
flow. Mr. C was going to write it but it has fallen of his radar now. I heard Blender could do a similar thing, but not sure if it is true.

cheers,

HD

.................................................. .................................................. .........
The thing I hate sculpting blendshapes is its hard see what verts will influence the source mesh. I was messing with comet's PoseSpace deformer and its great but I wish I could use it without the poseReader. Meaning, I want to be able to sculpt the geometry of a blendshape as the joints are posed, but then just keep the changes I made to the mesh when scupting so that I can just add it as a regular blendShape.
.................................................. .................................................. .............................

03 March 2009
i recently finished my own corrective blendshape solving workflow in our studio. we decided not to use any existing plugs, as we had some additional needs like automatically adding/solving opposite corrective shapes for mirrored meshes,solving corrective shapes for non-skincluster deformed meshes, using more complicated measuring systems to fire blends on/off, or sculpting corrective shapes when they're affected by other blends (like sculpting arm twist blend shape with slight shoulder up + arm up already blended in).

i used pure python for this (to make integration into already existing workflow easier), can't complain about performance, 40k resolution blendshape solving from sculpt to corrective takes about 3-4 seconds to calculate. sorry can't share any code tho, but if anybody is willing to write a plug of his own, the method of solving corrective shape from posed corrective shape is quite simple.

let's say, skinned model with blendshape in it is called charSkin. you bend the arm, copy this and sculpt as you want, call that L_elbowBendSculpted. you connect a fresh blend geometry into charSkin, call that L_elbowFixed, and turn it up to 100%.

now what a script does, is simply guessing. it moves a vertex in L_elbowFixed into random direction, then looks what happens to charSkin mesh and compares to L_elbowBendSculpted. it takes quite some thinking and testing to optimize this into decent performance, but eliminating biggest bottlenecks - reading charSking mesh (at this point skinCluster might be evaluated, if inputs are changed), and setting geometry points (faster all at once that one by one) - it's very quick without a single line of C.

Thread Closed share thread