eek
Fixer

portfolio
Charles Looker
Snr Technical Artist
Electronic Arts
Vancouver, Canada

webspace..

not yet, i need to get some webspace. Is the website/dvd idea god idea for you guys?.. ill start this week on it.

eek

Old 06-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #62
MCage
Frequenter

For me is a a very good idea .

Old 06-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #63
eek
Fixer

portfolio
Charles Looker
Snr Technical Artist
Electronic Arts
Vancouver, Canada

Dammit dont want to be a pest!

i'll add a chapter on: Precise creation of bones, via point placement

eek

Old 07-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #64
MayaV
Frequenter
Vivek Mansata
a
Ahmedabad, India

hi eek

thanx for the max files these files are excellent, can you provide a document on how you have done it and i am desperately waiting for your other character rigging & animation tutorial.

Thanx n Regards

MayaV

Old 07-18-2004, 06:05 AM   #65
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

Unhappy Robotic Rigging

I was just wondering if any of you know where I could find a tutorial for rigging a robot-like character in max 5?

I have not been able to find anything of use in the max refernece and tutorial stuff cos that all refers to single surface characters.

I have a character that is part robot part alien (but mostly robot) and i tried rigging him using Skin, but while that worked the pieces of 'solid metal' were bending and it looked wrong. I don't want to do it using forward kinematics cos that will take too long.

And am I right in guessing that u can't apply an IK HI solver to a group of objects? cos it won't let me....

Old 07-26-2004, 12:43 AM   #66
maular
Muchos Tacos

robo_obi - you can apply an IK chain to any hierarchy, usually bones, but just as well to linked objects. You won't find so many tutorials on this as it is generally much simpler than deforming a skin.

If you have a number of objects making up rigid segments you may still want to use bones (just for control), but rather than using a Skin modifier just link your geometry to the bones. Otherwise just link your geometry to each other and apply your IK chain to that.

Old 08-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #67
3dtutorial
Lord of the posts
Company Director

For XSI rigging you may wish to have a look at:

The ACR (Advanced Character Rigging Series) by ADAM SALE.

Volume 1 starts off at the beginner level and each volume builds in complexity of the rig -- 4 volumes in total (3 published so far).

Volume 4 is to be released in August -- about 20+ hours of hardcore XSI rigging bliss in total.

You can learn more information about this at:

http://www.3dtutorial.com

Free demos of this series are available to play with too.

Cheers,

Joe

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 08-20-2004, 03:46 AM   #68
adamghering
portfolio
Adam Ghering
CG animator
NO GOOD TELEVISION (NGTV)
Toronto, Canada

Talking "riltis" rigging in max

Hey riltis
I am also new er semi new to rigging. I also rig in max. The tutorials that come with the program for max 6 are by far some of the best in software tutorials. Just click on tutorials then scroll down to professional tutorials and then click on complex character rigs. You could also start out with setting up bones tutorial because they use that bones character to make the rig but what I did the first time I went through the tutorial was to take my own character mesh and rig that. I was very pleased with what I ended up with. It took me a few times to get through everything and I still don't understand a lot of it but it also introduces you to max scripting. i found the tutorials very helpful they are free and easy to understand. I hope this helps but you can also frequent some of the site links that have already been posted

Old 08-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #69
neods
Frequenter

eek, I love the quadraped rig you made. Would love to get a basic human rig from you. And video tutorials would be so nice. the biggest problem I have now is skinning, would love to have a tutorial on that. Thanks again, and cant wait for a dvd/site from you.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:14 PM   #70
eek
Fixer

portfolio
Charles Looker
Snr Technical Artist
Electronic Arts
Vancouver, Canada

In the works...

Ok People,

First off, thankyou very much neods, glad you like the rig. Hopefully its easy enough for you and others to grasp.

Sorry ive been away from you guys and not answering PM's, i get loads so if ive missed you sorry about that.

Right whats in the pipeline,

Im current putting all my rigs and techniques together into a new DVD. I cant tell you much more but it will cover all manner of things, some key things:

ik/fk arms + pinnability
reverse feet,
sticky hands i.e pinnable(wont go through walls etc)
3,6 and 8 bone spine setups
+ little on facial setups
and lots more...

Im also currently working on a website, which once finshed will cover all manner of rigging,
topics include:

Theory

Constraints
expressions
pivots
CA &wiring
parents and children
floating pivots
puppets
LOD and refencing
skinning and wieghting
tricks of the trade & secrets
Accurate bone creation and placement

& more..

Practice

biped rigs
quad rigs
oddities - tails, wings
ik/fk rigs
spine rigs
hand rigs
feet rigs

tricks of the trade & secrets

& more...

R&D

facial rigging
strechable spines,legs
etc,etc

Skinning

Fundermentals from pros( a good friend of mine and an ace at skinning)
how to skin
tricky areas
and a few secrets

evelopes and verts

I wish, 5 years ago i could access a site like this. So thats why im making it, its gunna cover from the ground up so basics right up to high level stuff. Its a massive resource site, nothing will be too specific so you add it to your work. Primarily in max, but maybe in other software.

There be a level system,
eg level 1 - easy,2-moderate, 3- hard - 4 -pro - 5 adv pro. there be tutorials in html, video plus max files and ms script.

Also the rigs will be really easy to make, and i cover reasons why i do things, eg, why i add contstraints there etc etc. Im trying to make it pretty much cover everything.

Also my facial rig seams to be dragging on, but its getting there slowly, and a short film is in the works and a massive lifestyle change, but i tell you about later.

eek. ps if you guys are stuck pm me or post it, im always around.

oh btw, if youve got a good name for the site let us know!

Last edited by eek : 08-24-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #71
neods
Frequenter

That sound wonderful. When will the dvd be available, and what is the price estimate? I could have some use for it soon. And thanks again.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #72
eek
Fixer

portfolio
Charles Looker
Snr Technical Artist
Electronic Arts
Vancouver, Canada

Dvd...

Thw dvd will cover rigging a character from scratch, thats all i can say, and should be ready in a month or so. The price...mmm dont know?

The website im doing is my own thing, and idea being that you log in, and go through search stages e.g biped rig -> feet -> reverse foot rig or standard foot. Or biped-> standard biped or advance biped. Yourll be able to do this with everything. Need a name for the site!?

eek

Old 08-31-2004, 06:54 AM   #73
s-rajesh78
anm8r

portfolio
Rajesh
Tech Manager
Tata Interactive Systems
Mumbai, India

Send a message via MSN to s-rajesh78 Send a message via Yahoo to s-rajesh78
Nice Idea of Making a DVD

Hi Eek,

The whole idea is Just great, I hope this will help most of our Problems with Rigging and Skinning, which i'm really weak in :0)

When Can we expect ur website and ur DVD.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:20 PM   #74
eek
Fixer

portfolio
Charles Looker
Snr Technical Artist
Electronic Arts
Vancouver, Canada

I cant giv u guys any set dates, hopefully the DVD will be done in a month or so, the website is a bigger challenge. I want it to work really nice, so im gunna spend the time on it. As for skinning a very good friend is helping me out on this part,( a much better skinner than me!)

eek

Old 09-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #75
aaraaf
Before aardvark!

portfolio
David Kennedy
Art Director
Strictly FX, l.l.c.
Chicago, USA

Hi guys!

I'm just starting to get into rigging, and this forum has been exceptionally helpful.

This is kinda a Max question... I've seen mentioned more than once that creating bones in different viewports can cause their alignment to be different.

Is this alignment to the worldspace? If not, what is this called? Is this information editable after creation? What are the big problems that come up?

Also, the stuff that Eek's posted here has been REALLY awesome. It took me a moment, but everything that you need to animate on the dog rig is green. Sometimes it's the simple things!

Thanks!

reply share thread