facial animation setup?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2006   #751
No wories man I figured it out. It took a little bit of group flirting. But it works now.

Old 08 August 2006   #752
How to do T-Muscles

Hi eek, very nice work you've done I'm not as a good rigger actually, I'm more focused on animation, however I've studied to know how to do a " enough" rig for my characters...

My question is about the T-muscles, the effect of squash that the peaks points do. Have you got any document, tutorial about how to do them? or can you explain how to do?

I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers!!

Thiago Lima

Old 08 August 2006   #753
I tried to read every page, but i just got too confused after about page 20. Anyways, i'm an animator, and i know "jack" about rigging.

I've taken a look at the early version (.max), and thought the rig had tremendous potential.

I guess my question is, is there a newer and better version i could take a look at? I don't intend to copy or distribute the rig or face, but what i do need is something that moves and feels realistic. I'm doing some R & D, and i'm just curious to see the different ways people are using to animate and rig a face. For example, what does Pixar's rig look like... or Davy Jones's rig look like???

Any help, suggestions, pictures, or anything else you all can offer would be a big help. Already this thread has given me sooo many ideas.

Old 08 August 2006   #754
just Help

hi eyerybody
i m working in a production house newly
so we have undertaken a project in which we r animatng a camel with facial expressions
we want to make it look like clay model so is the rigging tecnique different for it or its the same rigging process.
how will i add facial expressions through bones.
we r using configuration 2gb ram, 256 GC .
and basically we r having a small production house so we rnt aware of rendering
they r expecting an output like ice age dvd quality.
pls reply urgently

Old 10 October 2006   #755
Polygon Smooth and Blendshapes <---Need Help Please

Hello,

I have this character that has an attribute that changes the head geometry using the polygon smooth tool to 3 different levels of smoothness. (1, 2, 3). The facial blends that came with the character works on all three levels of polygon smooth.

What I want to do is add a few more facial control attributes to this character. So, I went ahead and created the same 3 levels of poly smooth target blendshapes for each separate new blend that I am trying to add. <<<-----Am I correct to do that?

Now heres the problem: How do i set up it up so when I change the Head Smoothness attribute on the character to 'level 3' for example, that only the 'level 3' target blendshapes will be used, and not the 'level 1 or 2' blendshapes'? Or when I change the smoothness to 'level 2', then only the 'level 2' blendshapes are used.

Does this make sense?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you.

Old 10 October 2006   #756
woaah,, think i just read more everything else ive read in my life put together,, feeling very drowsy now....... fantastic rig i love it....
have you made that tutorial yet??

i think im having helluzinationz iamamzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............

Old 11 November 2006   #757
Hey Eek,

INSANE stuff you got going on! Keep it up!

Quote: hi eyerybody
so we have undertaken a project in which we r animatng a camel with facial expressions
we want to make it look like clay model so is the rigging tecnique different for it or its the same rigging process.
pls reply urgently

Hahahaha...this is the funniest post I've read in a long time. Let me guess....you also have an uncle in Nigeria who has $400,000 he needs transfered to an American bank because his father died, so the first person to send their bank info and social security number gets it?

Old 11 November 2006   #758
i don't know if this can help you but if you see my website you can download some facial bone rig setup

only for 3dsmax 8

http://www.camporota.it/download.html

Old 11 November 2006   #759
Originally Posted by pankajsatpute: hi eyerybody
pls reply urgently

ohh please ...first post and you stick something like this up? Do you know how hard thousands of ppl around the world work, research and scour through thousands of websites and forum threads (like this one) to find the info they need and you fire this chaff up? "help! do my job! We want cinema-quality cg with no budget, timescale or knowledge of what we're all doing over here in India" unbelievable.
At least some of the other single-number-of-post-members actually bothered to read the thread and then you come along and stick up a "we're doing a camel on this spec pc - someone tell me where the finish-the-job button is".
ivanisavich is totally on the money there, its the same muppet who keeps spamming everyone with that "I've half a million locked away - you can have a share too if you send me your details"
anyway - rant over. on with the subject.

eek sorry about the above in your thread - it just boils my taters and that kind of stuff is all over this site (probably followed up by rants from other users like myself straight after it too!). Do you have any recent images of stuff you've been working on? Early on in the thread theres lots of stuff like this and its good to see

ratatat maybe you can limit the number of blendshapes on your ingame characters (like for pursing lips etc..) and work with joints on the rest of the stuff (blinks, cheek motion and the like)

kruugs So your creating blendshapes from the higher 'smoothed' versions that you only want to work on their respective smoothed levels?

Dunno what software your using but in maya you might be able to set up a system whereby you'd have your level0 character (unsmoothed) and blendshapeNode0.. then when you up the smooth level to 1 it not only smooths the model it activates the envelope influence of blendshapeNode1 to 100% (or 1) effectively enabling all the blendshapeNode1 blendshapes in the process and allowing them to influence the level1 smoothed character?

Thing is I'm not sure how you could get it to turn off level0 and level2's blendshapes - probably some scripting is needed to do all that.

I'm kinda thinking on me feet here so someone will prob turn around and tell me to shut up hehehe but I think that would work technically

out of interest what would you want this method for? would a set of blendshapes at the level0 not just do the same job?

Last edited by anthonymcgrath : 11 November 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #760
Thankyou

acamporota - nice rig, had a quick look at your setups, there seemed that there was alot of dummys and point objects, the brief time I spent looking there appeared to be 3 dummys and a point for each muscle intersection, one dummy being a handle. Can you tell us abit about how you did this and why you did it this way? The muscle layout seems similar to Paul Neales, which is something I have on my christmas list.

Thanks for sharing, I too have been watching this thread and scouring the web for info, and this is great to see.

Old 11 November 2006   #761
yes i have learn from paul neale dvd rigging tutorial
i suggest you to buy....
for the muscles bones i have you the strechy bones

I use dummys and a look at constraint on the bones and a position constraint on the end of the stretchy bones to make muscles.

yo

Last edited by acamporota : 11 November 2006 at 09:51 AM.

Old 12 December 2006   #762
facial muscles

hi everybody,
i want to use muscles for the face of my character so i need tutorials or some other kinds of guides about facial muscles, do you have any samples about it??
thanks in advance...

Old 12 December 2006   #763
more notes:

Ive just been reading up on FACs and some about n-space combinations - The math quite frankly is very very hard, not only to implementing it but just the abstraction. Its more akin to matrix transformation and complex geomtric math. But I think im starting to understand it (only took 3 or so months of not thinking) Im trying to understand this method because if broken down into simple terms can be used not only for blend shape type setups but also bone,muscle types too. Many thanks to DPK- this is where most of these ideas are coming from.(the guy's a genius)

So I'll start simply, if we have two targets: A and B and two weights associated with them [1,0] and [0,1]. This is not the usual standard blenshape method weight. Infact the weight is a vector in an n-space. And this n-dimension is comprised by the amount of weights. See its very very complicated to understand. What infact is happening is the regular association of weight to blendshape doesnt exist. But its made to look like it does because generally its a 1 to 1 association i.e you have the same amount of weights as target mesh's.

You have a base i.e neutral, your targets and the weights - for instance 2 targets = 2 weights = ([1,0],[0,1]) also they dont have to be at 1.

So back to our two targets A and B and two weights - this gives us a n-dimension of 2. eg. [0,0] and because we have two targets our association is: ([1,0],[0,1]) now when we combine A and B's weight like so, to give us a vector of: [1,1] we probably get a mess. And this is where the magic of n-space combinations work. We can associate a target to multiple weights. (or i suppose a vector sum of weights in a way)

If we associate a new target to [1,1] we now have a combination shape.

So to reiterate:
  1. We devise an n-space based on the number of weights (e.g the number of sliders) e.g 2n-space. Like a point 2.
  2. We associate a target (i.e blendshape) to a vector in this space eg [0.5,0].
  3. Combination shapes, in the standard sence dont exist. You just associating a target/fix to the combination vector of the weights.
This makes the system amazingly powerful, i mean any slider can be combined with any other, the results in theory wont break. You just have to not think in the standard way of blendshape analogy. This vector thats built from the weights could drive anything - infact a bone or muscle setup.

Whats complicated though is acheive the final delta, something i need to think about. (hopefully not another 3 months) Ive been scribbling of post-its all day!

Edit:

If i can work out the math, i'll try and post my findings (hopefully wont go over your heads)

cheers,

Old 12 December 2006   #764
Hi eeks!
Just adding this in case anyone isn't aware of it: my colleagues at the FIlmakademie led by Volker Helzle have worked out the FACS library into a free Maya plug-in. Check it out here: http://research.animationsinstitut.de/

There's also a great overview of the FACS modules and micro-expressions.
They're currently reworking elements to make it more easily edited.

drip.de

Old 12 December 2006   #765
Originally Posted by dobermunk: Hi eeks!
Just adding this in case anyone isn't aware of it: my colleagues at the FIlmakademie led by Volker Helzle have worked out the FACS library into a free Maya plug-in. Check it out here: http://research.animationsinstitut.de/

There's also a great overview of the FACS modules and micro-expressions.
They're currently reworking elements to make it more easily edited.

Hi Dobermunk,

Yes I signed up to there site about a year or more ago - its very very interesting stuff. The FACs manual is a stunning peice of research - anyone interested in facial setups should check it out!

cheers,

reply share thread