facial animation setup?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2002   #31
V/F control added.

V/F expression control added.

Eek

Old 10 October 2002   #32
Hi, Eek

I d like to give to my character better facial anim. Ive got some traditional anim knowledge.The morphing (easy but so linear and rigid method) cant compete with the freedom of drawing, I know.
But Ive been lately trying to set up other methods. The trouble is that Im in the artistic side of the field rather than the techie. So...no maxscript, and even blocked with a (sure youll find me stupid) problem like the one Ive got when I try to link your (so clever and wonderfull, near what I was dreaming about!!!! ) faceR8 facial set up to the head of a biped. When you move the Biped, splines linked vertex inherit twice the translation. But dono how to solve that.
I also made an alternative set up by using skin modifier instead. Seems to run faster. Ive included the max 5 archive. Cant wait anymore to see your finished set up... I Wasnt able to open your last Zip.
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!!!
Juan D.
Attached Files
File Type: zip skinversion.zip (34.6 KB, 876 views)

Old 10 October 2002   #33
hi,

Hi Zapatoon,

Thanks for getting in touch, this face will be eventually part of a whole mesh(body, arms,etc) So thats why your getting additive effect. You should never link/parent the mesh to anything if its got skinning, or linked X form. But only the rig/points controlling controlling it. So basically if u skin all the vertices of face to points/bones and move the points/ bones the face should be fine.

But using the skin modifier seems quicker!, might give it a try!

Thanks again.

Ive built my kassius rig+faceR8 rig now just need to put skin on them!!

Eek

Old 10 October 2002   #34
wow...your different expressions turn out really good. right now im also trying to figure out how to use facial animation. cant wait till you get that maya file on here.

thats some good stuff

www.StanimationInc.com

Old 11 November 2002   #35
soooo.... what ever happened with this i wonder... hmm.....

Old 11 November 2002   #36
dunno i've been dyin for updates still good thread though

Old 11 November 2002   #37
ok..

Ok, hello..im still alive.!

Well basically had to hold off on the rig for a while. Got to do 90 hours of animation in 2 weeks ahhh!!! for work!ahhh!! But ive started building my website, and ideas on a new short which will use the rig!!

Did an update which used the skin modifier, instead of linked x-form, which speeds up the rig about 60-75% percent few bugs though. Im gunna host it on my site along with loads of other rigs, biped, quadraped. Animations, links, resourses. I'm gunna do a maya setup next,(it seems everyones really wanting a maya version of this rig!!) xsi later.

So, sorry for the delay, just busy with work.Dont have time to do my own stuff!! which is really annoying.

My next short will be about a mouse, so ive got lots of complex rigs todo, and animation!! more on my site..

Eek

Old 11 November 2002   #38
just wondering.... whats your website?

www.StanimationInc.com

Old 11 November 2002   #39
re:website..

Havent finished it yet, about a week left to go. Gunna have links, resources, tutorials, textures, rigs, downloads, features, news. Its, gunna be an online source, for all this stuff. From anyone who wants to show off a technique, tutorial, rig, etc. I'll put this rig onto it aswell. And if anyone else like yourself has a technique, tutorial ,rig texture,link they want show off i want it on there. Im gunna put my, showreel, short film, rigs on it. And hopefully some new short film ideas.

Tell you more when its nearly done!

eek

Old 11 November 2002   #40
wow

ok i find this great.. your a real miracle worker.. spending all this time on it..

think i speak for all when i say.. we apresiate you just letting us see the whole process and sharing it all with us..

great job!!

do you have character rigging tuts.. btw.. ? caus i really need something.. a really good one(max user)

Old 11 November 2002   #41
Wow..

Wow..

Thankyou, I just really like working stuff out. I need to put it all together, my rigs,setups etc, this weekend. And all hopefully towards a new short film!

I'll keep the updates coming.

Old 12 December 2002   #42
Maya facial setup

I guess this was one of the posts that got lost in the infamous server crash of 2002. As I had mentioned in my previous post (which was lost) I hope Eek doesn't mind but I took his posted Max file and did my best to recreate it in Maya 4.5. It was a lot of fun cranking away on his setup and I think I've got something that works pretty good in Maya 4.5 (with very similar functionality). If anyone is interested, feel free to email me and I'll send you a copy of the file (I don't have webspace right now to d/l it from). Merry Christmas!!

Matt Leishman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg facescreengrab.jpg (23.9 KB, 2470 views)

Old 12 December 2002   #43
ummm...

de ja vue!!

So im replying to a thread, i posted 2 weeks ago? errr confusing!

Anyway sith, thankyou for making the rig in maya. Im so busy with work, but next week finish for christmas hooray!I dont mind you making the rig as i generally stick to xsi and max. I'll be working on the rig and loads of other stuff for my new short!

Keep in touch, and keep on learning.

Eek.

p.s (what happened to the server???)

Old 12 December 2002   #44
hey I would love to take a look at taht rig, can could probably even scroung eup some webspace for it depeniding on size..

Let me know please cause this is very interesting to me.

Good work both of you

*shamless plug alert* Check out my Character Modeling / Texturing DVD's

Old 12 December 2002   #45
Maya Rig....

Has anyone tried this setup in Maya yet?

How would you go about using the Locators to deform the face?
As influence objects to the skinCluster?
Or maybe as just regular Clusters?

I was really looking foward to dissecting the Maya rig once it was put together...

Looks like a great setup!

sean

reply share thread