need help in quadruped limb setup

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by eek: eek!

Paul, you should be able to figure it out easily, its very simple. The nice thing too is that you can change how the spine actually bends!.

I'll post a clip for you guys today, of the spine setup. Yep most of my stuff is simple parts stacked together.

But about 100 simple parts hehe..

eek

100 parts, is that all? I say that all the time to people as well. It's simple, just follow these 50 steps and don't make a single mistake and you might have it.

10 October 2004
Thanks eek. I would really apppreciate seeing it.

10 October 2004
ok, cool.

Right might have to do a quick fix. Found a problem in the setup due to a lookat controller screwing up. Found a much better solution, quicker and better twisting.

eek

10 October 2004
Now you've gone and done it: I'm even more curious than before!

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by eek: ok, cool.

Right might have to do a quick fix. Found a problem in the setup due to a lookat controller screwing up. Found a much better solution, quicker and better twisting.

eek

eek, great job, I just looked it over and I have several just like this floating around. The Spline IK that I create that doesn't use the built in spline IK in Max is some what similar but I do use a spline. Same basic concept over all though.

I see the upnode problem that you have with the lookAts but I think that can be solved by setting uploads and not leaving it to world space. This would also give you control over twisting that currently doesn't work in the setup.

I have just completed my second DVD on Intermediate Rigging and I cover the spine I'm talking about in there. It also has a third control near the middle of waist of the character that has twisting going from there out to either end. It is really a simple setup and requires a few less parts I think that this one. I like the way this works though. Great for an animal spine

10 October 2004
hi paul when will your other dvds be released??

can you transfer the methods to other apps like maya if you know the tools in this app??

well I know max aswell so there shouldn't be a big prob if you can't use the methods in maya...
well then back to max!!

10 October 2004
Hi Paul,

The world upnode idea does fix it in places, but generally it can still spaz out on you, also you get issues when you bend the rig more than 180 degrees. So this new solution should fix the whole problem.

The first version of this did use a spline but i kept causing problems for the animators, this is bit more stable and now with added twist. I should be able to to turn it into a script to build on the fly.

Anyway cool, maybe we could work on something? im up for collaberation.

eek

p.s sorry ive been a bit late on the clip. Im gunna post it this morning.

and here it is:>>play<<

Last edited by eek : 10 October 2004 at 09:11 AM.

10 October 2004
Do we get to see a max file again eek?

10 October 2004
Hi Paul,

Yes.

Today was a cool day for me, got back into my animation and made a script to build my new rig. Still working on that - need a way of scripting expressions. Anyway ill send you a copy on monday. And i can explain a bit more.

eek

10 October 2004
Eek you can script expressions if you download an extenstion that boomerlabs made available for free...bless them.

http://www.boomerlabs.com/freeware.html

Here is the link...it speeds things up immensly! And by the way, I would love to see the new version of the spline too.

10 October 2004
that spine looks pretty sweet eek.

thanks for sharing.

-Kees

10 October 2004
Could I suggest starting a new thread if you're going to expand upon these discussions? Maybe make it a "catch-all" for anything and everything related to quadruped rigging? It might make it easier for others (and me) to reference later if they have questions.
Thanks for posting the movie, eek. I have no idea how you did that but it looks good. I have a question, though. I noticed that your rig has only 2 main controls, one at the base of the spine, and one at the top. Do you feel that you have enough control over the spine to easily created a central curve, like when a cat arches it's spine when it's hissing? Some other rigs I've seen have a mid-back control for that. Just curious about your take on that, since we all agree that "simpler is better."

10 October 2004
Duh. Ignore me, eek. I just took a harder look at your spine rig and you have captured exactly what I was talking about with just the 2 controls you already have. My mistake.

10 October 2004
Michealb,

Thankyou, glad you liked it. The new version is built on this version but with some slight tweaks. Im not into having 3 controls on these types of setups, im all for it on a true fk rigs. But i dont want to cause to much counter animation, at work we use a similar setup to this but its boiled down to just 3 bones, due to export reasons, draw passes etc etc.

Maybe we should start a new thread? Im happy to do that if you want.

Harvey,

Wow cool, theres some great scripts there. Ill download it on monday, and send you a copy of the rig too.

Kees,

Cheers man, i send you a copy too, to have a play. Oh and ill chat next week about stuff.

eek

10 October 2004
eek, Nice stretchy spine rig..

I'm glad to see others tackling spine setups. Ive been trying for months to make an Isner type spine rig in lightwave..

I have a non-stretchy version which works well now. No flipping or odd behaviour unless you push it to extremes. It uses a similar control method to yours, ie Top and Base controllers that dictate all rotation and movement.

I also have a stretchy version which I have yet to apply to a character.

Thread Closed share thread