CGTalk > Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Praedor
portfolio
USA

Rigging a human mesh with the "wrong" pose

I have a character mesh that I've been editing and preparing to rig and import into a game. It doesn't have a skeleton yet but my mesh editing is coming to and end and I'm getting the point of wanting to rig him. The problem is his rest pose is wrong for the rig I will transfer to him (I will be transferring the rig from a character mesh from the game as well as the skin weights). I'm trying to find the best way to get his arms into the correct position for his soon-to-be-adopted skeleton. His rest pose with arms out to the side has them held too high and not rotated foward enough. I've tried carefully moving the the arm meshes into the right position but it is very slow, prone to error, and tedious. Is there a fast and simple (or simpler) way to correctly move his arms and hands into the correct position for the new skeleton with minimal distortion to his mesh?

I'm using Blender 2.68 for this and have considered giving him a temporary real simple rig expressly for the purpose of moving his arms and hands into the correct position for the rig from the game but suspect that the instant I delete the temp rig his mesh will snap back into original position (or the moment I leave pose mode). What is the best way to do this?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
koldred
portfolio
Anton
Sunny Isles, USA

Can you duplicate your geo once you pose it with the simple rig?

reply share thread