Advanced rigging help?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Advanced rigging help?

Hi all, I was hoping that this is the place to find the maybe 1% of character riggers who can help me with a problem that I've got. I have a character in 3DS Max rigged by a man named Sangwon Lee. It's an amazing setup and he's most definitely a master of his art. HOWEVER...

We need to get this character into unity 3D. Initially it worked fine just baking the animation in because this was going to run on PCs and Macs where memory wasn't a big issue.

However, now we want to make it work for mobile devices. The issue we're having is that baking the animation obviously sets a keyframe for every bone and this creates a lot of information which just kills mobile devices.

If I export a standard biped that I've rigged from scratch myself without all the clever stuff he's put in, it works in Unity fine without baking. So the question is, without re-rigging from scratch, is there a way to turn off some of the features and get it in? OR is re-rigging the only option?

I can do simple rigging but his setup is beyond my understanding in a massive way!

Here's a link to the file.

Link to max file (zipped)

Here's a screen grab of the rig - when I saw this I was like holy bananas - what's all this stuff?

It appears to be a biped... PLUS a whole load of duplicate bones on top... PLUS some kind of IK solvers.

Greek to me and I've been working on Max for over 15 years!

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread