Simple stretchy spine setup question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Simple stretchy spine setup question

Hello,
I don't post often so please be nice. We are modeling some characters to rig and we want to have stretchy limbs and spine since they are cartoon characters. Anyway, I have what should be a simple question about the stretchy spine setup. When laying out the bones is it necessary that they remain in a straight up/down orientation to get the stretch to work right or can there be some curve to the spine? In my experience, I have rigged characters with curved spines and gotten the desired stretchy result however our rigger (somewhat inexperienced) is telling me that he needs them strraight up and down which I think is false. The reason I ask is because I have modeled my character somewhat hunched over because that is his default relaxed pose and now the rigger wants me to go and straighten him all out to a stiff unnatural looking tpose. He is all concerned about orientation constraints and stuff like that so can anyone out there shed some light on this? Its possible that he is saying that because of the particular rigging technique he is using. So, in addition, could someone point me to a rigging technique that allows you to get the appropriate stretchy behavior with a curved spine setup? We are rigging in 3ds Max. Thanks a ton!

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread