Animator's Guide for Rigging

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Post Animator's Guide for Rigging

Hello!

My name is Kori and I am currently a graduate student in animation, focusing in rigging. As I start my Thesis, I've realized a lot of animators don't understand or have a serious aversion to rigging, which is understandable. However, I believe that knowing basic rigging is important for animators and can help them when animating.

I would like to use my Thesis to create a tool package designed for animators and intended to cover the basics of rigging that will aide in animation. The package will be presented in the form of an open website.

The package would include:
  • Tutorials on breaking down a rig (finding where the rigger hid the good stuff and why)
  • Tutorials on Rigging 101. You may not be able to rig a character at the end of it, but you will understand how a character is rigged.
  • Tutorials on common breaks/problems with rigs and their fixes
  • Animating with constraints and other helpful relationships
  • Communicating with your rigger (and vice versa)
  • Creating and customizing an Auto Rig
  • FAQs will be presented at the end of every tutorial and will include links to an overall FAQ page
  • A forum page for addressing problems, asking questions, and receiving peer review
  • Downloadable PDF notes that can accompany or replace the tutorials for learners who do better with text than video

What I need help with!
  • Feedback! I have two surveys set up with links at the bottom of this post. Please take the time to complete one!
  • Suggestions: the surveys will help me with the research and design, but I need to know what animators want to learn about rigging and what riggers think can help animators with their work.
  • Testers: while not yet needed as this idea is still in its infancy, I will need feedback on the package's usability, success, flaws, and so forth. Anyone interested in helping test this tool once it gets on its feet would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and I hope this is something that interests you. Please take one of the short (10 question) surveys and leave me any feedback or suggestions that you have!

Survey for Animators: http://questionpro.com/t/AKbdJZQLPN
Survey for Riggers: http://questionpro.com/t/AKbdJZQMhd

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread