Problem with Mirroring Weights

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Problem with Mirroring Weights

Hi there,
I have been skinning this biped character and i weight painted his arms and torso on the left and mirrored the weights over to the right side.
Later i worked on his left leg and now that i am trying to mirror the weights to the right leg, it doesn't work.
Can i mirror weights of selective vertices ? i tried using the copy paste in paint mode but it accepts just one vertex at a time.

i tried reading up on this topic a lot but none of them answered my query.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

10 October 2013
There are a few things that can mess up mirroring of skin weights - the most obvious is that the skeleton is not exactly symmetrical - have you checked this?

Also, if you have two joints sitting right on top of each other Maya will get confused about which one to mirror to. You can get round this by using joint labelling - in the attribute editor you can set up labels for each joint giving information about what side of the rig it lives on and what body part it corresponds to. Then, when you come to perform the mirroring, set your influence association to use Label.

Other than that, you could look into using ngSkinTools - it's like a breath of fresh air!

Good luck

10 October 2013
Did someone possibly use replace instead of add, by mistake of course?

There are a myriad of things that can cause this issue. Non Symmetry between the body parts, you used replace instead of add and Maya decided to transfer the weights to wherever it felt would mess with you more, or sometimes it just straight up doesn't work. If I were you and your spending this much time figuring out how to mirror them correctly your probably better off just doing it manually and repainting the other leg. It's really hard to tell what has been done without actually having the file to try and replicate problem causers.

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread