Facial Rigging Problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Exclamation Facial Rigging Problem

I am trying to paint weights on my character's face, but when I try to paint weights on the displaced parts of the character's face it doesn't seem to affect the displaced vertices. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Facial Rigging Problem.jpg (39.4 KB, 26 views)

Old 07 July 2013   #2
You mean displaced vertices as "displacement map" displaced? Those vertices exist only in render time not in your viewport for skin modifier to catch them... Solutions? Well maybe something like this http://vimeo.com/21317049.... these guys are using correction shapes, or correction targets in Max world.... who are converted in displacement maps... i.e. as a final result you get animated displacement maps... as far as I know... maybe I'm wrong, there is no similar solution for Max ... except if you are a very good programer and can make similar plug-in for Max...
Second solution is to ditch displacement maps or use them in very small amount, make your model a higher resolution one, make a really good facial topology, really good layout of stretchy bones for your bone-based facial rig, and carefully skin them...
Bottom line: there is no fast and easy solution for a good facial rig...

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Exclamation

No, as you can see in the render image I have attached the face geometry becomes all messed up when moving the jaw bone. And when I try to paint weights onto those affected vertices they wont jump back to the original positions on the model for some reason.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
What kind of a facial rig are you using? Bone based? Bone/morph? Morph only? Try to turn "on" "show all weights" in skin modifier... if you are in Max, in that way you can see what vertices are affected by what bone.I cant tell you much more without seeing your facial rig...

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Exclamation

I am using a bone based facial rig in Maya 2012.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Hello,

I'm not too familiar with weight painting in Maya, but in 3ds Max all the weighting values of an individual vertex have to sum to 1, this means if a vertex on the jaw is fully weighted to the jaw bone and has no other influences, you won't be able to subtract weighting values from the vertex because only the jaw bone is influencing it and then its values won't sum to 1, what you would do is to select another bone close by and add some influence from that bone to the vertex. So for example you could have a vertex which has 0.75 influence from the jaw and 0.25 from the lower lip.

-Harry

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Hi, when you are in the paint weight tool window, do you have it set under POST?

If so, then the verts have more than 1 joint influencing them.

At this point, flood the whole mesh with 1 joint, like the head joint. Then go through and remove all the other weights on each joint. Then start painting with each joint, and remove the influence from the head(in the correct areas).

Again this is if you are painting in post.

-Tim

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Exclamation

No, I have it set under interactive.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Really? If you can post up the file we can look at it better.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Exclamation

I can't post the Maya scene file on here because the file does not have a valid attachment extension for this website.

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread