CGTalk > General Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
TrentNLinton
portfolio
Trent N. Linton
Edgerton, United%2BStates

How would I create a Dynamic Iris in Maya?

What I'm trying to do is to create an Aperture Iris that can move it's center with a control handle. I've searched everywhere, but I've not found any relevant material to guide me along on my task.

What I've done so far in my Iris Project is I have created an Iris blade that I instanced 31 times around a Central Axis. I then created a Nurbs Circle as a handle to rotate the original blade with an Orient Constraint, which in turn rotates the other 31blades.

What I don't understand is how I would move the center of the Iris to & fro. I plan on using a second Handle for translating the center. I just don't know how I would do so.

I am using Autodesk Maya 2013 as my source for this Project. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

-Trent N. Linton

Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
shinyprem
Expert

portfolio
Prem Anand Earnest Dhass
Team Lead Rigging
Technicolor India
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to shinyprem
Hi,
I guess you are looking for pupil size(diameter increasing or decreasing). Create a nurbsSphere.
Select the isoparm (front circle) then from Edit NUBS> Detach Surfaces. Do not delete history. Use the parameter stuff from the detached NURBS to get the pupil size adjustment. Eg. File Here
Rgds,
Prem

Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

I just use separate geometry for the cornea, iris, and pupil. This way you can connect a slider to the translate z of the pupil (through a multiply divide node).

I think this is what you are asking, please clarify if it isn't.

pics:

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
TrentNLinton
portfolio
Trent N. Linton

What I have is a mechanical Iris, not an actual Eyeball. I am creating an Optic type Camera; I have the Iris being able to open & close, but I also want the center of the Aperture to be able to change where it closes. What I'm trying to ask is how do I get the iris center to follow a central axis that will allow it to open and close on that axis

Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentNLinton
What I have is a mechanical Iris, not an actual Eyeball. I am creating an Optic type Camera; I have the Iris being able to open & close, but I also want the center of the Aperture to be able to change where it closes. What I'm trying to ask is how do I get the iris center to follow a central axis that will allow it to open and close on that axis

Could you post some pics of what you have so far?

Sounds like you just need to set up some parent constraints or a hierarchy. If I can see exactly what you are trying to do I can help more.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
TrentNLinton
portfolio
Trent N. Linton

This is what I have.

I have an Iris blade Instanced 31 times around a Central Axis, I then Orient constrained to the nurbs circle which rotates inturn the other 31 iris blades.

Last edited by TrentNLinton : 06-07-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

Quote:
This is what I have.

I have an Iris blade Instanced 31 times around a Central Axis, I then Orient constrained to the nurbs circle which rotates inturn the other 31 iris blades.

Okay, I think I get it. So now you want to be able to move that opening around by translating a controller?

Definitely not an easy task because you would have to be controlling the actual shape of each piece of geometry. I guess what you could do is set up 4 blendshapes per shape. One for each corner of the controller object. Then the control would blend between those four shapes.

This will only work if you have separate geometry for each piece though. Since it is instanced, I don't know if you can achieve this. I'll think some more.

Setting up a controller like that requires multiply divide, plus minus average, and clamp nodes. If you have questions on how to do that just ask.

I'll post some diagrams if you are confused on what I'm trying to say.

Hopefully I'm not way off on the goal you are trying to achieve...

Last edited by nfd77 : 06-07-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

I'm intrigued now lol... I'm trying to setup this on my own. If I get it working I'll post my project so you can thumb through it.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

Is this what you were trying to achieve?

Youtube Link

If it is I'll post my scene file.

EDIT:

Oh god, that video is terrible. I'm rendering out a scene so my computer is all lagged up. Here, just download this file and tell me what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3137m...9y/aperature.ma

Last edited by nfd77 : 06-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
TrentNLinton
portfolio
Trent N. Linton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfd77
Is this what you were trying to achieve?

Youtube Link

If it is I'll post my scene file.

EDIT:

Oh god, that video is terrible. I'm rendering out a scene so my computer is all lagged up. Here, just download this file and tell me what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3137m...9y/aperature.ma

I would be more than glad to take a look at the file but my computer is being a dunce currently. I'm not sure if you are using a different version or not, but I'm using 2013(It's giving me a Potential Data Loss Error). From what you had shown in the video, It seems to be relatively spot on.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

Yeah I'm on Maya 2014 so it will throw you a few errors, but it will still work.

Here is a better video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1FcxgW_gE

Also MediaFire opens up the aasci file in a text editor... Just click the download button on the top right and it will download the actual file.

I used my RigHelper script to hook up the slider, which only took a few minutes. I explain a bit of what is going on in the video I linked.

Cheers!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
TrentNLinton
portfolio
Trent N. Linton

How did you do the Blend shapes? That's the only thing that I get miffed at. I'm a just a bit new when it come to advanced(advanced to me) stuff.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

Quote:
How did you do the Blend shapes? That's the only thing that I get miffed at. I'm a just a bit new when it come to advanced(advanced to me) stuff.

have all of your (separate) blade geometry in a group. Duplicate that group 4 times (for leftBlend, rightBlend, topBlend, botBlend). Move the new groups out of the wayto somewhere that makes sense.

Now you are going to select one of the new blend shape groups that you made (which will select all of the geometry) and press f8 to enter component mode. Select the vertices towards the center and turn on soft select (B on keyboard, hold B plus drag left mouse to resize). adjust the vertices of your geometry.

Repeat that step for each of the four blendshape groups. Make sure you name your target shapes something that makes sense.

Now you need to create your blend shape deformers. select the corresponding 4 blendshapes plus the original and go to f2 -> create deformers -> blendshape. Repeat for every blade. An easy way to do this is to have the hyper graph open to make your selection.

Now you need to connect each blend shape weight to the slider. This can be a bit time consuming if you don't have a script to achieve this. I would suggest downloading RigHelper in my sig and using the facialGUI tab. You will probably have to watch the end of the tutorial video to understand exactly how to use the script.

If you need additional help I can post a video after I'm done rendering.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread