Rig forgotten Skin bind

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Rig forgotten Skin bind

I have adjusted my character after skinning it using the export/import skin weight maps tool and it is working fine. the problem is the mesh is no longer linked to to rig [the error given is "Skipping 'Super_Larry2Shape' since it is not a skinned object. // "] however it is still being influenced correctly by the rig and controllers as seen here and still says "skinCluster1" in the history as I've shown below. Is there any way to fix this as I need to mirror my weights across but as it doesn't think of it as being skinned it will not let me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06 June 2013   #2
oh , wow , the history looks like one big mess , that only a novice can produce ( please don't mind for this comment ) - usually you should not do stuff like adding loops , after you rigged the character , geo / topology should be finished , when you start rigging ) - but anyway , there is always a possibility to handle your problems , unless you did not already start to place clusters , softbods, wire, or whatever might come later ( on-top ) of your skincluster .

- actually , here is what you want to do . duplicate your mesh , when you character is in the initial Pose, in which you bound it to the skeleton . ( actually the model should be symmetrical here . i always use "abSymMesh.mel" - from creativeCrash - to quickCheck symmetries )

- the duplicate now has no history anymore .
- but there are still some intermediate shapes in there as left-overs . ( so go into your outliner , and enable "shapes" within "display" of your outliner . now in the attribute editor , you will find one or two or even three "old and unsused shapes - if you go through the tabs in the attr-editor . so here is the trick , to clean-up your mesh .
-> under "object display" - there is a checkbox which is called "intermediate Object" . the first shape in your list ususally is intermediate "off" , which means , the geometry is visible ( that is actually the shape you want to keep .
-> but there are likely one or more ( because of your history ) - shapes ( called "mesh : " ) , which have the intermediate "on" . if you want you can now , switch this flag "off" for all of your shapes , to see , what is actually happening here : Maya is always keeping some of the input-meshes , and makes them invisible ( intermediate ) , in order to keep the history . once you switched the intermediate "off" , you will be able to see these shapes also in the outliner ( just reopen your transform ( click "-" and again "+" on your transform ) .

well , since ( on the duplicate object ) all those intermediates make no sense anymore , you can select all of the unneccessary ones ( which are the ones , that are intermediate in the beginngn ) , and delete them .

-----------------
that should be a quite decent "cleanup" of your ( for rigging ) badly prepared mesh .
-----------------
the other ( better way ) would be , to export your mesh as obj , and import it again ( now all shaders got f__ked up , but at least , you have a clean-mesh to start with .

now to rebind:

- select all the joints , which you used to bind your character ( you can do that , by selecting the "old" mesh , and typing "select `skinCluster -q -inf`" - this "selects all queried influences of your skincluster ) .

- bind the joints to the newMesh

- finall "copy skinWeights" , from old to the new .

- delete the old crap .

------------
after binding the clean mesh now , there should be 2 shapes , below your transform , one , which is notIntermediate ( that is the visible one , which is deformed ) , and then there is another shape , which is intermediate on - which is actually the "input" for the skinCluster , the one in your bindPose , which is invisible . this is ok now , leave the 2nd shape in there and dont delete it , since it is needed by the skincluster as input .

( that is how maya tries to handle stuff like history )

Last edited by tonytouch : 06 June 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
the other way you can try is "delete non-deformer history" , but that might not help you , since it just sometimes works .

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Originally Posted by tonytouch: oh , wow , the history looks like one big mess , that only a novice can produce ( please don't mind for this comment ) - usually you should not do stuff like adding loops , after you rigged the character , geo / topology should be finished , when you start rigging )

Maybe he comes from Softimage, where none of this is a problem

Old 06 June 2013   #5
haha Greg, that was a good one

if tom came from XSI , why would he want to use maya for rigging , anyways ?

but it might be true, this might not happen in XSI or houdine !
but any software has it bugs

PS:
btw. - i like your blog , guess i saw that one at least one milion / aeh ....1 000 times . awesome work man . i especially like the joke about the blue cats .... ( and . yes .... if there is anybody convincing me abot XSI , it is your mother )

--------------------------
@tom:
i hope the entire process i described did not disencourage you . just thought to describe you , about , what is going under the hood in maya .

usually you can add a lot of stuff in maya , in your rigs ( even topology changes after binding to a skeleton should not make any problems . but sometimes losing history can happen . i guess , what is causing these problems in maya is sometimes that the "undo",is sometimes not working properly .

but anyway , since this entire modelchange you made - is not a feature of your rig , but some kind of trouble you ran into :

duplicate your mesh , bind and copy the weights .

- deleting the intermediates , or exporting and importing obj . is just something i recommend .

and looking into intermediate shapes is never wrong , when you do rigging in maya .
------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by tonytouch : 06 June 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread