Know-it-All

portfolio
Ozan UNLU
3D Modeling Artist
TTNET
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via MSN to ozioz Send a message via Yahoo to ozioz
Wink Custom Character Rigging ( cartoony setup ) Reel

Hi guys! I want to share my latest character rigging video with you. I need your comments and advices so that I can see the mistakes I did and improve the system as well. The rig was totally created from scratch. I used no ready to use rigging elements of any kind. I scripted the setup and I also used lots of nodes to automize some of the features of the rig. Tell me anything You can think of my rig. All comments are wellcome! If you can write you comments on the vimeo page, that would be more than perfect.

Here is the link which you can access the video.

http://vimeo.com/m/63595430

Best regards

Ozan ÜNLÜ

Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
ozioz
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ozan UNLU
3D Modeling Artist
TTNET
Istanbul, Turkey

No comment so far???... ls it realy that bad? Come ooon!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozioz
Hi guys! I want to share my latest character rigging video with you. I need your comments and advices so that I can see the mistakes I did and improve the system as well. The rig was totally created from scratch. I used no ready to use rigging elements of any kind. I scripted the setup and I also used lots of nodes to automize some of the features of the rig. Tell me anything You can think of my rig. All comments are wellcome! If you can write you comments on the vimeo page, that would be more than perfect.

Here is the link which you can access the video.

http://vimeo.com/m/63595430

Best regards

Ozan ÜNLÜ

It's interesting. I think the character would benefit from at least a basic face. Also, a couple of things that can set your rig apart would be to add in some cartoon specific features. The big issue si that everyhting you've done here is pretty standard as far as flexible rigs go. The bendy, round elbow system, and ribbon spine is pretty standard so it's not a set of features that are going to impress TD's and generate a lot of comments aside from whether or not you implemented it correctly.

A few ideas to add to a cartoony rig might be stretchy eyes with lattice deformers to change the shape.

Jaw dropping to the ground and having the tongue roll out like steps.

A feature that leaves outlines of the limbs as they flail around.

A feature that lets the legs morph into a spinning wheel that can be adjusted in shape, density, and rotation speed.

these sort of effects are really what separate cartoony from flexible realistic. They are oftentimes more complicated and difficult to implement and not as easily found step by step so it requires and promotes experimentation. They, would add, however a great deal to a cartoony setup and most likely inspire more discussion and notoriety in the cg community.

My humble thoughts.

Great work though!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
ozioz
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ozan UNLU
3D Modeling Artist
TTNET
Istanbul, Turkey

Thank you so much gagex2z ;

First of all I appriceated your comments so much and your critics are all so usefull...

Your suggestions such as tounge , jaw actions and the others are just fantastic. The day that I am able to make such complex rigs is also the they that I am hired by DreamWorks ... ( Just kidding )

I just want to share the first custom rig I have ever done so far in my career . And you gave me some usefull feedbacks. That was exactly What I was looking for.

The feacial setup of this character was the shining part of all. But unfortinately I had no chance to finidh al the things in my free times. (I am a full time employee in a CG company )

I'll consider your comments all the time. And I also try to make a toung as you discribe in your comments.

Best Regards;

Ozan

Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozioz
Thank you so much gagex2z ;

First of all I appriceated your comments so much and your critics are all so usefull...

Your suggestions such as tounge , jaw actions and the others are just fantastic. The day that I am able to make such complex rigs is also the they that I am hired by DreamWorks ... ( Just kidding )

I just want to share the first custom rig I have ever done so far in my career . And you gave me some usefull feedbacks. That was exactly What I was looking for.

The feacial setup of this character was the shining part of all. But unfortinately I had no chance to finidh al the things in my free times. (I am a full time employee in a CG company )

I'll consider your comments all the time. And I also try to make a toung as you discribe in your comments.

Best Regards;

Ozan

np, congratz on your employment. My advice would be to watch some tex avery cartoons and then see how the movement happens. then experiment with how to get that behavior in isolated environments. Like rip off the head mesh and then have an empty scene where you experiment.

one idea might be to make the jaw portion ncloth with some stiffness and then you could animate the node state to turn it on or off. then when you turn it on gravity will drop the jaw and give you auto bounce and drag.

Or you could make a jaw drop blend shape or a bone based solution with the tongue set driven key'd to roll out. ect.

there's a lot of tools inside of maya just have fun and experiment on your off time. It'll keep your skills sharp and give you more features to use and ultimately make you more profitable.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread