Transfer the character from Max to Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Angry Transfer the character from Max to Maya

I have a character that is made in Max with rigging, controls and texturing.
And I need to do animation with that character in Maya.

I tryed to export with FBX and CAT controlls didn't transfer to Maya.
When I did export FBX I got a message:
Quote: Warning: CAT to HIK
The CAT character(s) is not recognized as a valid biped. The following CAT character(s) has been exported without the HIK Skeleton Definition:
-Base Human_Character

Warning: Unsupported controller
The plug-in has detected one or more animation controllers that cannot be directly supported. Using the Bake Animation option may better address these limitations.

I tried to convert .max to .ma with Deep Exploration 6.5. Did not get the proper result. But Deep Exploration transfer controlls like a boxes but these boxes do not control anything.

And I tried to convert in PolyTrans. The same result as with the FBX.

So, anyone else got this problem before? Please, help. I'm trying to solve this problem 3 days, and I started rigging in Maya from zero. All 3 of these days I'm looking for the answer in google and here.
Is there a solution to this problem? I began to think- is no.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Well, if you need a working character asap in maya then maybe export meshes (forget the rigging) from max to maya (fbx or obj format )and then rig those meshes in maya using setup machine or something similar. You are not going to get the max rig across but an autorigger in maya maybe your only way to quickly get up and animating in maya.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
[QUOTE=DanLanusing setup machine or something similar. You are not going to get the max rig across but an autorigger in maya[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply. I did as you said already. But I rigged by hands. And I hear about setup machine or autorigger for the first time.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Just rig it in Maya.

Although Max and Maya are really doing the same things under the hood the tools to achieve it are different and don't translate from one package to the other. Why they haven't added CAT to Maya I don't know as it would make this sort of thing far easier if using a CAT rig.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread