Blendshapes with Wrap Deformer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Question Blendshapes with Wrap Deformer

I'm rigging a character, in which i'm using a very common method for facial system i.e. duplicating just the head -> creating facial shapes from it (n hence blendshapes from it) and finally wrapping the duplicated head with the complete body... nothing fancy

I've gone pretty smoothly up till now when problem has shown up... now when i add more shapes to the blendshape node of the head and dial their value from 0 to 1, it is causing weird, unwanted deformations on the rest of the body as well. Most of my shapes have worked without any irregular behavior, but these new ones are bugging me... the changes on the head area are as they shud be(like the brows going up or down etc), but i dont know why r there deformations on arm and torso area...!!!

I dont know what wrong step hav i started taking that all of a sudden... this mess. I'm creating the shapes using both Zbrush and Maya n then i import the mesh back into maya n appy it as BlendShape to the duplicated head geometry... also turned "exclusive bind" on while wrapping..

Suggestions plz...

Last edited by manimalhotra : 02 February 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Sounds like you've created a blendShape from a mesh that wasn't an exact duplicate of the pre-rigged/skinned model. Sometimes during rigging you can mess something up and reposition a joint even slightly and it will lead to these stray verts. The quick fix is go to:

Edit Deformers >>> Paint BlendShape Weights

Choose the blendShape node and start removing weights from the spots that are acting up. This should do it!

Old 02 February 2013   #3
if vertices on the head mesh behave fine, try limiting wrap on the full body just to the vertices of a head (Edit deformers - paint set membership tool).

In the future, I'd recommend using combine mesh approach instead of wrap, unless you really have to preserve body vertex order.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
thanx everyone for taking time to rply...

Originally Posted by uiron: if vertices on the head mesh behave fine, try limiting wrap on the full body just to the vertices of a head (Edit deformers - paint set membership tool).

In the future, I'd recommend using combine mesh approach instead of wrap, unless you really have to preserve body vertex order.

hey Uiron, ur suggestion worked for me... pheeewww... u were saying something abt "Combine Mesh Approach", cud u plz explain it to me, wudnt it create a burden on History Stack?
what are the drawbacks of the approach i followed??

i suppose the steps for "Combine Mesh Approach" wud be as follows... are they correct?

1. skin the complete mesh (head combined wid rest of the body) with deformers and corrective shapes etc....
2. detach the head mesh somewhere from the neck area ( maybe using Detach component or so..), separate it from rest of the body, then use that detached head to create blend shapes...
3. when i'm done creating blend shape, combine the 2 separate geo together n "DO NOT DELETE HISTORY"... right???

thanx for replying...

-Mani

Old 02 February 2013   #5
slightly different.

1. separate head from body
2. setup blendshapes on the head
4. combine meshes.
3. skin it all on to joints.

so geometry stack is: head mesh -> blend shapes -> combine with body mesh -> skin cluster ->output mesh.

Drawbacks of wrap... well, it's wrap Problems when scaling rig, can't control which vertex is assigned to which, etc.

To be honest, I don't like combine mesh approach either, I guess the best way would be to trick blendshape into outputting directly to full body mesh instead.

Last edited by uiron : 02 February 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
thanx again victor, will surely give it a try as soon as i complete my current facial setup...

Originally Posted by uiron:
To be honest, I don't like combine mesh approach either, I guess the best way would be to trick blendshape into outputting directly to full body mesh instead.

WHAAAAAAT....!! wat did u jst say Victor....???! Never heard or read of it....How on earth do we do that....? Plz, any link or info wud be great help....

thanx in advance
-Mani

Old 02 February 2013   #7
well, blendshape is a deformer, so you could put on the whole body, affect only the head, and then invent a clever way to set offsets for blend targets. It would not be a novice setup though, if you want to maintain a separate blendshapes head for lowres mesh, and connected body version for highres.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
thanx Victor, now that u have shown a whole new way, I'll get along wid this idea and research more on it...

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread