Rig for Quadruped+Biped together

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Rig for Quadruped+Biped together

Hi,

what's the best "T-Pose" for a quadruped animal that is also able to move like a human being (on two legs)? I'm currently modeling a Hamster and he should be able to move like Reepicheep from "The Chronicles of Narnia" but I'm not sure how to setup his standard pose to fulfill both needs: quadruped and biped.

Here's a little Breakdown from Narnia, that shows. what my Hamster should be able to do:
Reepicheep

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Daniel

Old 01 January 2013   #2
max or maya?

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I'm curious if you found a solution to your question. I, too, am working on a biped-quadruped switch rig, but mine is for a meerkat.

I watched Narnia last night and paid special attention to Reepicreep (honestly, he was the only reason I watched the movie). I also had a look at the making of breakdown that linked to.

In the breakdown it is obvious the TDs created a skeleton, muscle system, and rig that all conform to a normal mouse's physiology. That is, unlike a biped where the shoulders spread apart from the chest, on a quadruped the shoulders sit directly next to the rib cage. This naturally places the arms down much more.

When Reepicreep goes into biped mode, they animators seemed to tackle this shoulder issue by giving him a lot of flexibility around the forearm and wrist, all the while keeping the upper arm held close to the side of the body. There are a few quick frames where he opens his arms up wider, but I never saw any animation where he actually opens them as wide as a human in a T-pose. Probably at most it would have been an exaggerated M-pose.

In answer to your question, I think if you want a single rig to permit you biped and quadruped flexibility, you have to sacrifice some of the movement in the shoulders and forearm. If you want to create maximum flexibility, then you will likely need two separate rigs.

If you've found a solution to this issue, I would be very happy to hear what it is. Does it fall in line with what I said? Or perhaps you have developed a different/better solution entirely.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Depends on what pose he will be in most the time I guess.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
if he's gonna be standing on his 2 back legs most of the time, model it in a stand up position, if i remember right, reepicheep was done like that..

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread