Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
noobmode
Frequenter
portfolio
Tuan Nguyen
Animator - Character Setup
Ha Noi, Viet Nam

to tontonsuspect: your setup skill is amazing. The Spline Limb is a custom node you had wrote? Can you share a scene which had the leg setup?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Daniel3D
Rigger Animator

portfolio
Daniel Lima
CTD and Character Animator
BlueSky Studios
USA

Send a message via MSN to Daniel3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamesh
I haven't tried it yet, but that is Fucking amazing!!

Thanks man, isn't out yet but I will release it in few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontonsuspect
Have you though of a system to create your corrective shapes?
or are satisfied with softdeformer,lattice,brush sculpting?

There are a lot of interesting things even on the legacy maya flexor: it doesnt work well but the general idea to push the articulation points on the side or bulging the mesh as the angle increase has always interested me.

Lately as many people, i want to rip open the maya muscle toolset to extract some of its feature like smart collide.

Instead of storing vector delta , i want to be able to describe this phenomenon more abstractly like defining region on the articulation which are used to efficiently shift point:
- on the outer part of you knucke you have a very thin skin with no meat underneath and your points slide on it.
- on the opposite side you always will have a crease no matter your how realistic/ cartoony your character is, so wouldnt it be better to have a tool to slide point procedurally?

I can tell you that if there is something that drive me nuts while I'm animating is playing my characters on viewport with a heavy rig and I guess for this reason I end up coming with a philosophy to pretty much create most of the deformation(any kind) with sculpted corrective inbetweens for now, because they are fast and easy to administrate. I know this workflow isn't the solution to everyone's needs because mostly requires art-direction and isn't eveyone who know or like to do it when could be have done with real-time deformations or muscle system setup. I tried the maya's muscle system before and I see that was a very interesting approach however I always though that could be even more time consuming to create a realistic character this way than using sculptShapes in modeler's hands, also the performance for at least the mesh I had during the test it was an issue to be evaluated. This stuff about sculpt and calculate the psd to later use as an corrective can be very difficult to administrate as deep as you go with corrective combinations but I truly believe that would at least give you total administration of the art direction of the deformation for the shot. I believe that combination of a fast auto-preservation collision def and psd is the way to go for the next level of realistic character rigging or even cartoony.

Soli Del Gloria

Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
seigisato
portfolio
Seigi Sato
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Can't wait to use it! Keep it up!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
tristratos
Frequenter

Can't wait to test it out!
Keep us posted!!

Best Regards,
Tri

Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
tontonsuspect
puppet tamer
cedricB
CharacterTD
France

@noobmode: thanks for your comment, most of the time i build node for maya to cover basic rigging unit need: to drive a skincluster you dont need to bind a joint and can directly plug a matrix but it is easier to understand what is going on this way.

I dont really plan to release these tool yet .

@daniel:thanks for your insight: like you i never really have enough time to setup properly a muscle system. In one siggraph paper the ILM guys talked about implanting muscle template by wrapping a base mesh around a new character mesh: i like this idea a lot and what is true for this setup is true for other type of deformer: reusing and transferring skin weight, articulation helper joint etc..

@art direction: yeah that what i love too: most of time when you trigger a shape or control the interpolation of several one you blend the whole zone( line the elbow part pushed by the bone, the inner side of the articulation where the flesh/muscle compress )do you separate these zone further?

what do you think of joe alter lbrush for maya?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
Daniel3D
Rigger Animator

portfolio
Daniel Lima
BlueSky Studios
USA

Before I proceed with my announcement I want to answer first my friend tontonsuspect.

"@art direction: yeah that what i love too: most of time when you trigger a shape or control the interpolation of several one you blend the whole zone( line the elbow part pushed by the bone, the inner side of the articulation where the flesh/muscle compress )do you separate these zone further?"
- I guess I never had an opportunity yet to separate into smaller sections of the area that will be deformed but I think I can see this workflow it can be very useful, separating what is "bone sliding" and muscles getting activated separately feed by some good network rig it seems a good way to go for realistic characters.

"what do you think of joe alter lbrush for maya?"
- I don't know because I haven't tried yet but I guess saying something just for what I've saw it seems pretty robust and advanced. I'm not sure if I understood but apparently it stores the pose to the specific psd that you want right? ... if it is then comes a lot of question about the workflow in how to re-edit later those correctives, should I go back to the same pose or there's another way... if I add lots of correctives in one joint rotation, those will be fired in sequence in order to get the flow geo or is the tool smart enough to make this for me automatically?

Well... I just wanted to announce my humble official release of my tool. I made a very simple help page just show what is things inside the UI.

here is the link to my webpage:

Sculpt Inbetween Editor 1.0 download

Any critics, suggestions or tips will be all welcome!

Soli Del Gloria

Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
tristratos
Frequenter

GREAT TOOL!!
I wish a detailed doc will be released to specify each feature more detailed, even if the videos provide quite a good start.

How about that missing features ?
Is there an update to test them out as well ?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
Daniel3D
Rigger Animator

portfolio
Daniel Lima
BlueSky Studios
USA

Thanks Tristratos, I working to make some videos to show how could be used in a workflow showing some details of it but the videos that I previously sent it covers a bit what kind of workflow you can use. I will be posting some updates here as soon as I have it done or you can keep checking every other week on the doc page that I made and see if there's some updates there. The missing features is pretty much done I just need to make one more function to make it work more reliable. Also I will be adding some extra tools to symmetry the geometry before proceed with the Sculpt Inbetween Editor.

Thanks for testing it

Soli Del Gloria

Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
tristratos
Frequenter

Daniel,

Can't wait to test out the updated version!
Keep it up! The tool ROCKS!!

Tri

Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
tristratos
Frequenter

Dear Daniel,

I have lately downloaded and tested ScultInBetween script of yours, that handles corrective PSD shapes for maya.

Though I really find your solution to be one of the most interesting, easy and flexible out there (and still in scripts and not plugins mode), I still have one major issue that have trouble with.

I am referring to mirroring a corrective blendshape over an axis.

I am attaching a sample scene test.ma file for you to check the issue.

In that test file, if I select the Muscle_Lf and rightclick/Auto Mirror, I successfully get the new corrective shave named Muscle_Rt, but if I move the slider of value, it seems that the blendshapes are not mirrored over the -x axis.

All it still affects is the same Left mirror as the original corrective blednsphapes set for Muscle_Lf.

Is there a known bug, or there is something that I am doing wrong using the tool ?

It has to be noted, that I also tried to use the Mirror Data Tab's options to mirror across but still the blendshapes do not mirror correctly.

I am looking forward to receiving your reply, hopefully with the steps that I need to follow to get it working correct.

Any prediction as to when the additional features mentioned will be available online, with the final documentation, so that I may fully test your wonderful scripting solution out ?

Best Regards

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
Daniel3D
Rigger Animator

portfolio
Daniel Lima
BlueSky Studios
USA

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristratos
Dear Daniel,

I have lately downloaded and tested ScultInBetween script of yours, that handles corrective PSD shapes for maya.

Though I really find your solution to be one of the most interesting, easy and flexible out there (and still in scripts and not plugins mode), I still have one major issue that have trouble with.

I am referring to mirroring a corrective blendshape over an axis.

I am attaching a sample scene test.ma file for you to check the issue.

In that test file, if I select the Muscle_Lf and rightclick/Auto Mirror, I successfully get the new corrective shave named Muscle_Rt, but if I move the slider of value, it seems that the blendshapes are not mirrored over the -x axis.

All it still affects is the same Left mirror as the original corrective blednsphapes set for Muscle_Lf.

Is there a known bug, or there is something that I am doing wrong using the tool ?

It has to be noted, that I also tried to use the Mirror Data Tab's options to mirror across but still the blendshapes do not mirror correctly.

I am looking forward to receiving your reply, hopefully with the steps that I need to follow to get it working correct.

Any prediction as to when the additional features mentioned will be available online, with the final documentation, so that I may fully test your wonderful scripting solution out ?

Best Regards

Hey Tristratos, I saw your file and I see that you didn't freeze transformations before you skin the geo. If you do so everything will work fine. Thanks for testing it and I guess I will add a feature later to make the table symmetry content not only by object Space but also worldSpace to avoid this possible problem. Thanks for the words, also... this tool is a collection of inspiration. I give the credits for the creators of the PoseSpace Deformer for the concept idea. Also the implementation done inside blender with the anim sculpt that impulsionate my seek to this research. As soon as I have a bit more time I will be updating with more functions.

Again, thanks for testing it.

Soli Del Gloria

Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
tristratos
Frequenter

Daniel,

Yes that was the issue.
I am looking forqard to testing out the updated version as well.

Keep it up!

Tri

Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
TimCallaway
Problem Solver

portfolio
Timothy Callaway
Technical artist
SP
USA

Awesome tool! I got a question for you.

Is there any functionality to importing blendshapes, say from zbrush or mudbox? This would be a very powerful feature.

Great work!

EDIT: Never mind, it will work, I found a way to do it.

Last edited by TimCallaway : 03-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
tristratos
Frequenter

Tim,

Could you please share your method of importing this and connect them to the tool ?
I really think that such import would really be awesome!

Tri

Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Daniel,

I just wanted to thank you for this tool, it is really awesome, I just started using it on a personal project, and it does work amazingly well, thanks for contributing to the community with this, is really appreciated, awesome tool man!

Thread Closed share thread