blend Shape Heartbreak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
blend Shape Heartbreak

OOOO this is exciting my first post on CGTalk with an actual relevant/I have tried for hours/ i don't know question. Okay my name is Jonathan Lowry and I am in the process of creating my first character rig. I am following a tutorial by Delano on digital tutors. I have recently run into a problem where I go to blend shape between two heads and the base head MOVES CRAZY up. When creating my base head I duplicated different copies over time so that If I ever needed a previous copy or didn't like my additions I made I would simply revert back to original. I now think that thinking has screwed me.

UGHH

I think the problem with my baseHead is the node "baseFace_0Shape1Orig" but I do not know how to fix it and everytime I attempt, Maya crashes.

I look forward to any helpful feedback provided. Merry Christmas to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot1.jpg (38.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg shot2.jpg (44.8 KB, 16 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip blendTrouble.mb.zip (123.5 KB, 1 views)

12 December 2012
Did you freeze your transformations on the blendshapes or base head? freezing transforms on blendshapes is a no no. It causes offset info to be lost that is required to not have the main head move around.

12 December 2012
no i did not freeze transforms. it would not be able to morph if transforms were frozen.

i created a base head and then bound it but throughout the course of construction of my rig I have scaled the rig to different ratios and I lost track of the true scale of the head. I think that it's scaling back to the true head but I want to know how to scale it to how the head is now WITHOUT painting weights again

12 December 2012
i couldn't figure out how to fix the problem at hand BUT instead I duplicated the head, bound it again, copied weights and then tweaked weights that wouldn't copy right. took about a day to figure it out. also in learning this I realized that when i duplicate heads for blendshapes ... the heads will properly deform only when you duplicate head from bind pose ....

.... constantly learning about rigging

.... anyways ... next time my question will be better

so PROBLEM SOLVED

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by derekWalcott: the heads will properly deform only when you duplicate head from bind pose

Yup.. generally speaking you want to import the head model rather than duplicate one that is skinned to avoid introduced any subtle deformations to your blendshapes. The bind pose should work but I prefer to always start out with the original model.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread