Max skinning accessories question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Max skinning accessories question

Hello All,
I'm just getting into this whole skinning/rigging thing and have what is probably an easy question. I have a character with a lot of accessories (e.g. glasses, hair, jacket, shoes, etc.) and was trying to figure out the best way to skin the beast. Should I attach everything first and then apply a skin or skin the body by itself then apply a skin wrap for the accessories. Anything I should consider in making this decision?

Thanks for any pointers,

Blair

Old 10 October 2012   #2
I ended up attaching all the accessories and then skinning it which seemed to work so I guess that was the right answer.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
No, it wasn't.

If the accessories don't move a lot and don't require their own controls, it's usually easier and faster to use skin wrap modifier (and pick the original skinned body as target) and then convert to skin, and then adjust skin afterwards if needed. That way skinning something like clothing over the body is relatively easy. And with a bit of trickery you can even use it to "blend" skinning data between different objects. Not to mention its usefulness in transferring skin data between meshes of different topology.

Last edited by Zhalktis : 10 October 2012 at 01:36 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread