CGTalk > General Techniques > Character Rigging
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Acolori Medienproduktion GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

PEN Attribute Holder in Production

Hi,

Im currently working on a character for my new boss...
Weve talked about the setup and hew wanted me to use CAT to create the rig.

Since I keep getting into trouble with CAT, even though I like the idea of it, Im now trying to convince him to let me build a custom rig.

Im not very experienced in doing that, but following a couple of tutorials I managed to crank out a basic custom rig to show him its power...

But there are still a couple of things to consider:

1. He doesnt want to use any additional plugins or other stuff he he has to worry about when rendering via his farm or upgrading to a newer version of max, since Ill provide him with the character setup and he might be using it long after Im gone...
The only non-native max item I wanted to use is Paul Neales Attribute holder for storing poses.
Its not really a plugin but since I havent really used it in production yet, I was wondering it could pose a problem with the farm or if hes upgrading his workstations or something like that.
I know, stupid questions, but Id rather not have to script something similar myself, if there already is a great solution out there...

Last edited by insertmesh : 10-28-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
TimCallaway
Problem Solver

portfolio
Timothy Callaway
Technical artist
SP
USA

Not stupid questions at all. This is my number one problem most of the time. Even though I'm a maya user, the use of plug-ins to rig and get extra features creates issues when sending stuff to the farm.

Using a pose type plug-in, might not be an issue though. It's all up to weather the plug-in needs to be installed on the farm. Most likely it will be needed to be installed on the animators machine, then once everything is keyed it should not depend on that plug-in anymore.

Or, you could always cache the animation before sending it to the farm.

Hope that helps, but that's what I think about it.

Edit: If you are getting into rigging more, and it's something you like to do, scripting is a really strong toolset to have!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks for the reply!

Since Ive never had a farm at my disposal, Ill have to try it out myself I guess...

I understand my employers concern with having to worry about plugins or scripts that need to be taken care of on every upgrade or new install and I know I should get deeper into scripting...there is just so much other stuff I still need to figure out and since Im gonna do the whole Shabang from modelling to sculpting, texturing, rigging and animating the character, Id just love to avoid having to learn to script too right now...

Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Hamburg, Germany

Another Idea: I just took a look at the PEN Attribute holder macroscript.
I guess I could try to understand what exactly its doing and how to just apply the script to maxs built in attribute holder.
That way I would have the funtionality I need without having to install the script on any computer...

Might be a good exercise to learn some scripting too...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Hamburg, Germany

Ha. That was easy...

replace

Code:
plugin modifier 'PEN_Attribute_Holder 2' name:"PEN_Attribute_Holder 2" classID:#(0x9004a801, 0xa7617106) version:2

with

Code:
ca=attributes PEN_Attribute_Holder 2

and add

Code:
custAttributes.add $.modifiers[1] ca

after the last bracket of the original script...

Now I can add the attribute holder and my boss doesnt have to worry about having to meddle with his max installation or possible problems while rendering to the farm...

I already posted this in Pauls own sites forum, so If you dont want anyone meddling with thes original attribute holder, just let me know and Ill delete this post...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Hamburg, Germany

Ha, that was dumb. posting a non-working solution...

Apperently the script is adding the menus and buttons to a normal attribute holder and you can save presets, but if I add any attributes to it it doesnt get the values, so all the buttons dont do anything and the ramp slider only returns errors like this one:

Code:
-- Error occurred during fileIn in StringStream:"#("; line number: 1 -- Error occurred in rampCa_Sl.changed() -- Frame: -- val: 0.1165 -- vals: undefined >> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Compile error: Unexpected end-of-script <<

Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
PePeTD
The One and Only

portfolio
Felipe Nogueira
Technical Artist
Bethesda Softworks
Rockville, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PePeTD Send a message via MSN to PePeTD
I could be wrong(and please correct me if i am wrong Paul), but I believe that if you were to animate with Pauls Atr Holder script and then load the same file on a machine without the script, the Animation would still be intact, but you would not be able to set-up poses and what not. all the attribute holder is doing is managing keyable values and once animated those values will always be there regardless of you having the script or not. TEST it and let us know if I was correct on this or not.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
insertmesh
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Enslin
3D Generalist
Hamburg, Germany

Yeah, it works, the keyframes are there, but thats no use to me, since my boss wants to be able to animate the rig himself, after Im done...
So either Ill have to figure out how to make the modifier work as a script or convince him that its not THAT bad putting ONE little scripted plugin in the startup folder...

Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread