Topology, Maps & Weights (Maya)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
I guess your problem might be from the pole vectorX, Y and Z attribute on the ik handle itself. Try resetting all of them to 0.

This might fix your problem,
BUT!

*if you dont mind, take my advice below
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off, I don't think it's a good idea to have more than 3 joints on your arm ik.

The wrist joint doesn't have to be a child of forearm joint, both the forearm joint and wrist joint could share the same parent -the elbow joint. So now, your joint chain should look like this.

shoulder>elbow>forearm and wrist

It's tricky drawing joint for ik, espacially for an A-pose character.

If you plan on stretching the ik, which is a must for a toony character, you might wanna check your joint orientation to have an axis (X) pointing down the child joint.

Another important point to keep in mind is, the aiming axis MUST be exactly in-line. So, how ever you move the ik, only 1 rotate channal(Y) the elbow joint's going to change. If not so, you might find yourself having hard time trying to find the right spot to place your poleVector control without the joints poping. AND, it's impossible to do ik/fk matching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armJoints.jpg (82.8 KB, 10 views)

09 September 2012
Thanks for the advice, especially the forearm joint - I've never considered that the wrist wouldn't need to be it's child. I'll work with the joints' orientations to make sure they are correct. I use the Comet script and manually tweak thereafter. I checked the pole vectors on each - zeroed them out and it made no difference.

I understand the difficulty with spanning >3 joints, etc. I guess I just like the deformation and control I get going from shoulder to wrist.

My beef with the rig at this point isn't really a question of my technical approach however. My problem is that given equal and exactly opposite joint configurations - in position, orientation, and degrees of freedom, logically both sides should behave exactly the same with the IK solver applied - but in this situation it doesn't...

I'm experimenting right now with recreating the skeleton with some tweaks...

*edit - after deleting and re-mirroring the arms, something is definitely up, it isn't mirroring properly across the axis from either side.*

Last edited by JPJolly : 09 September 2012 at 09:55 PM.

09 September 2012
Try draw a brand new joint in straight line(x, snap to grid) from the front view.
Position the root, in this case, the clavicle. Only use rotate to align the joints the the limb(on the elbow and wrist don't touch rotateX and Z).
Freeze transform, make sure in the option box translate rotate and scale is checked.
Don't parent the chain to the back joint yet, mirror it(also check the options to mirror across YZ and check on 'behavior').

This should do it.

09 September 2012
Thank you for the suggestions. I did end up just deleting the arms and re-drawing them in the same space which resolved the issue.

Now I'm just trying to export/import the weight maps from the previous skin which I've also never done before. I could just repaint the weights - but I'd like to learn the correct procedure for export/import. It seems that a lot of the skin is being pulled to the origin after being mapped onto the rebuilt skeleton. Is this possibly because the map isn't normalized?

*edit: never mind, F1 is your friend *

Last edited by JPJolly : 09 September 2012 at 08:24 PM.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread