Bendy, stretchy, twisting no-flip deformation rig

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
Bendy, stretchy, twisting no-flip deformation rig

Hi there,

Thought to share this. Long time since done maxscript rigging and trying remove rust. Musings about twist-bend rigging.

I'm thinking about creating reusable component for simple character rig. Aiming for joint pair linked generic bendy rig, which will ride deformation base bones. Will enable bendy-sharp joints, scaling from either end, and twist. That is - in theory if I'll get there.

https://vimeo.com/38593049

About rig so far, position of each node is based on spline curve, but using splineIK. Scale is derived from root and tip controls.

Twisting - Twist was initially only quat based twist, which flipped at 180, but then I decided to do some digging around forums - this was something I didn't have working in older rigs... It's not complete solution, twist axis are derived partially from root control object (yellow triangle) and will eventually flip, not in twist sense, but if curve is bent into U shape.

Nothing original here, mostly stuff which I've seen around web, but I wanted to see if I can put these concepts together, and into simple form without too many nodes to manage. All rig objects are visible, no secondary or base node layers which are hidden.

Thanks!

02 February 2013
Hey Sami,

is this the same rig you showed in your 2012 reel? What about speed if you dont mind asking.I tried that once in max and the result was quite slow (like 12 fps).

02 February 2013
Hi there.

sidvici: Not exactly, I didn't see point (time...) to include this feature to bendy limbs of my demo reel auto rigger, arms and legs will flip at -180/+180 degrees and so on, but otherwise axis alignment is so that no other flip happens from bending itself.

No flip routine was partially limited to direct parentation but will not work under constraints.

It's very fast rig, only adding 20+ skin modifiers as fast hack to link each part of dummy character slowed it down a bit, but there was an option to parent links instead of auto skin to closest driver if I remember correctly.

sherkhannabi; Video is gone, sorry. I think Felix Joleanes has something similar in his bendy rigger script, but I haven't checked it out.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread