Maya vs. LW Thread in Maya forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
Threads like that are fine as long as they are in the appropriate forum, and not the General Discussions forum.

02 February 2003
I have no problem with civil logical debate. But because people have to get emotionally attached to their software this does not happen often.

Personally, as long as I keep seeing great work, and one day be able to do that stuff, I couldn't care less who uses what software.

I'd really be interested in actuall professionals who have used multiple programs for years and years, giving us their opinion.

ACM | SIGGRAPH Student Chapter of The Art Institute of California - San Francisco

Personal Website

02 February 2003

The thread where this thread borne out of got closed...maybe this thread will get closed too, soon.

Ed--
- Emile Zola (1840-1902)

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Meshbuilder
It seems to be ok talking about the subject "people talking about Maya vs Lightwave" but not about Maya vs Lightwave

ah. (i think i get it).

i'm at the end of my limit at any rate. i couldnt finish the whole thread. kind of tiring. it's like i wanted to post against some illogic, but really, what's the use?

Advert:
Janus - multi-pass rendering for LightWave3D

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
Threads like that are fine as long as they are in the appropriate forum, and not the General Discussions forum.

Ok.. But I think endless and often stupid discussions like (that program vs some other program) belongs more to General Discussion than in the 3D Applications Specific Forums..

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Meshbuilder
Ok.. But I think endless and often stupid discussions like (that program vs some other program) belongs more to General Discussion than in the 3D Applications Specific Forums..

Well, the reason that they are fine in the app specific forums, is because one would ideally hope that in those particular forums, people would actually know what they are talking about...

When app comparison threads pop up in General Discussions, they ALWAYS turn into really nasty and pathetic flame wars, whereas one like this particular one are just a bit silly, not really vicious.

The fact is that people do have the right to compare apps, and the right place to do that is in the apps appropriate forum.

02 February 2003
Can't say I've seen or participated in these threads here on CGTalk, but speaking from a "It looks good on Paper!" point of view I'd venture that somebody who has neither of those apps could benefit from the debate. (Especially now that LW and Maya aren't too far apart in price.)

However, I can also imagine that's the chief concern of people posting there. "How do I make somebody buy another copy of Lightwave instead of that godawful Maya?" (Note: That was hypothetical, I don't feel that about Maya.)

I have no trouble imagining that Leigh is right. I've watched LW vs. MAX arguments before on other forums and never really seen anything fruitful from them. I've never seen somebody say "Oh, I see what you're saying. Maybe my opinion of that App needs some retuning."

I have a question though, is it possible to guide these threads towards something more productive? I think the big problem here is just about everybody takes the point of view of "You can have either/or, not both." What would it take to point the thread in the direction of "For this type of project, you may have better luck with Maya..." instead of "Maya's just plain better"?

Anybody ever tried that?

03 March 2003
Well NanoGator, I think the main thing here is that these things would exist in an ideal society.
Unfortunately, past experience has led me to realise that some people will just not co-operate, and will simply state their opinions as fact, and will refuse to hear otherwise.

That thread I posted in te General Discussions forum (the "what app?" sticky) was the result of us mods getting SICK AND TIRED of pointless software flame wars.

As I said before, it is a persons right to know the ins and out of apps when wanting to make a choice, but since people are inclined to become so emotional about their choice of software, there is just never a decent conversation... They always degenerate into lame pissing contests with nothing of any worth being said.

No matter how much the few people who do have something of worth to say try and give some good facts, their efforts are swamped in by the mindless chirpings of fools.

Sad but true

03 March 2003
I jsut think it comes down to those that feel inadequate about thier given skill WITH a particular software and feel they ahve to defend themselves rather than showing what they are made of artistically or technically, blaming thier faults on some abandoned software that exceeded thier own ability to integrate.

It does come down to emotion, and thats a powerful motivator for quality work, Energy In motion, so not so much to waste your time whipping a dead horse, but spend your (thier) time creating something that will make me say "WOW you did THAT in Maya/LW?" Intention=motivation=Application=Demonstrated Action. If the end result is just words and bickering, then thats kinda defeating the inspiration of the software in the first place.

03 March 2003
heh. What really devastated this debate with me is that I know a guy who does interiors of sets from Star Trek (bridges etc) that seriously pass for photographs.

He works with TrueSpace 4. (I think it's 4...) It has limitations that make lighting really hard, like you can't set how far away the falloff is. Yet he makes it work.

After I ran across that guy, I stopped worrying about which app and resumed worrying on "how do I make myself useful with whatever I'm using?"

Still love Lightwave though. :airguitar

03 March 2003
Well the main reason I chose Lightwave was mainly because of the guy that got me into cg. I knew about Maya, but Lightwave was much more accessable for me as a student.

ACM | SIGGRAPH Student Chapter of The Art Institute of California - San Francisco

Personal Website

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread