Maya vs. LW Thread in Maya forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
And don't forget to wave too!

Oh yeah NanoGator - I hear you on that one! Post prod has saved my ass many times
The day I discovered I could really clean up my renders in Photoshop and AE really changed my way of working! These days, NO render of mine escapes some fiddling in PS

Leigh,

It's addictive, isn't it? You'd seriously love After Effects. It's like Photoshop with a timeline. Imagine being able to brighten or change the color of a light with real time feedback.

Once I started playing with that my entire workflow changed. Now, my overnight renders are only from an element of a scene. If it goes bad, just rerender that one element. Or, render an extra layer to clean it up. Once I added a GI layer to an object beacuse I found out I had just enough time to do it! Cool, eh?

If you ever have questions about compositing and workflow with LW, fire them off to me. I've been studying it for a couple of years now. I even know how to composite lens flares with the way Lightwave's alpha channel works.

02 February 2003
hey Nano,

hmm, I do agree, about letting everyone know what a prod. env. is actually like, but someplace, pipelines and workflows are actually covered under NDAs. Strange I know.

Anyway, some of the places I have worked have had teams for just modeling, texturing, etc, while others, you are assinged a shot and you do EVERYTHING. While others, I personnally did everything from concept art to output on characters.
Where I am at now, the nameless one, we have teams broken up for matte painting, creatures, modelings, enviro, comp, etc.

I know a few friends in LA are at shops where they get a shot, and do everything from building the new models for it, to texturing, animating and comping the results together.

Overall, I think the 2 biggest things people should realise:

Post prod. is your friend.

AND:::

there is no harm in using more than one application. Model in what you like and has a good interface for you, animate in what provides you with the best tools, texture/shade/render in what you like and know, and composite the end results, dont be afraid to break up a shot and do multiple passes.

oh yeah, forgot this:

<.|.. My comments are not those of my employer(s)

Last edited by twidup : 02 February 2003 at 02:04 AM.

02 February 2003
/Remi says he doesn't care

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by twidup
hey Nano,

hmm, I do agree, about letting everyone know what a prod. env. is actually like, but someplace, pipelines and workflows are actually covered under NDAs. Strange I know.

That's a real bummer because right now I want to get a 3D job in L.A. (or the vicinity). Unfortunately, I'm not at a studio right now, I'm at a software company. It's hard to explain that I've pursued the more advanced 3D stuff independently so I try to learn what I can to fit in. (Maybe it's not so hard, I dunno. I haven't fired off demo reels yet.)

Every time I get a snippet of info from somebody in the FX industry, I get overwhelmed and discouraged about how naieve I am. I honestly think that I'll impress anybody who hires me, but I worry that my lack of knowledge about how those places operate will leave me in a vulnerable position.

Think I'm overreacting a bit?

02 February 2003
There is Zoic, Omation, Area 51, Digital Threashold, Digital Domain, S4, and many other LW shops in LA always looking for great artists....go join the LA LW users group and network.....u haveone of teh best users groups in ur area that you should take advantage of!

02 February 2003
NanoGator - of course I know After Effects!
I actually used to be an After Effects lecturer at a local college
It TOTALLY RULES!!!
At the last studio where I worked, we had a Combustion suite, and After Effects. While the rest of the animators opted for the vaster toolset of Combustion, I always rather After Effects because it is so quick and easy to use, and you get great results.

:xtreme:

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by proton
There is Zoic, Omation, Area 51, Digital Threashold, Digital Domain, S4, and many other LW shops in LA always looking for great artists....go join the LA LW users group and network.....u haveone of teh best users groups in ur area that you should take advantage of!

Whoah, I never thought of that. Can you point me in the rough direction of where to go to find them?

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
NanoGator - of course I know After Effects!
I actually used to be an After Effects lecturer at a local college
It TOTALLY RULES!!!
At the last studio where I worked, we had a Combustion suite, and After Effects. While the rest of the animators opted for the vaster toolset of Combustion, I always rather After Effects because it is so quick and easy to use, and you get great results.

:xtreme:

Oops. I misinterpreted your post!

What's embarrasing is that I think I remember you saying that before.

Sorry, I've been writing Use Cases all day. My brain no workie.

02 February 2003
LOL

It's okay Nanogator, I have had plenty of braindead moments myself

02 February 2003
hey Leigh, can you point me to any good after effects sites with tuts for noobs at comping?

and Nano, check you PM.
as for the studio jobs, know the studio you are applying with, know what they are looking for, know what they want to see on reels, etc....all this is easily done thru networking....hell, thats how I got my current and last job.

02 February 2003
Twidup, you know I actually have NO idea where to get After Effects tuts....
It's actually SUCH an easy program to learn, there really is little necessity for tutorials

If you want, I can email you the notes I made for my students on the program, from when I used to teach it? They are pretty extensive notes

If you can get me a job at Weta (even as a janitor, that would be fine - I will personally licked the floors of those hallowed grounds with my own tongue until they are spotless), then I will personally tutor you in After Effects!

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by twidup
hey Leigh, can you point me to any good after effects sites with tuts for noobs at comping?

and Nano, check you PM.
as for the studio jobs, know the studio you are applying with, know what they are looking for, know what they want to see on reels, etc....all this is easily done thru networking....hell, thats how I got my current and last job.

Thanks Twidup.! I replied to the PM.

Also, if you have any questions about After Efffects, feel free to fire them off to me. I think I owe ya one here.

02 February 2003
congrads leigh

congrad to leigh on the keyframe board of advisors thing....its good to see some of those people on there.

02 February 2003
Leigh is going to be a great member on the board!

02 February 2003
Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here but Creative Cow is certainly one of the best resources for After Effects on the web. Check it out here:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/aftereffects.html

There are some good tips at Adobe's website too:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tips/aftereffects.html

That should get you started in the right direction.

Personally, I use After Effects with LightWave on almost every project. At our studio we have, Inferno, Flame, Combustion and Quantel IQ but After Effects is the workhorse! Its ease of use and resolution-independance coupled with its speed and power make it a no-brainer.

Thread Closed share thread