Maya vs. LW Thread in Maya forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Maya vs. LW Thread in Maya forum

I know some of you who keep up with this area have posted in this thread but since some people may have not noticed it I thought I would post this link. There is some childish arguments going on however there are also some extremely valid points, some of which I think we all would be happy to see resolved or added.

Feel free to contribute your comments.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46056

02 February 2003
Voted the most useless thread ever

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

02 February 2003
Lmao, Yeah lots of utter trash stuffed in there. Some of the sheer idiocy made for a good laugh.

02 February 2003
*Doesn't care*

02 February 2003
Fahim's comments and pig headedness turned me off of that thread. His logic is that Maya > All because XYZ studio(s) use it. No real logic behind his statments...just drival.

Some of the other comments are valid and make for interesting brain fodder.

02 February 2003
Lightwave allows me to do exactly what I want to do. I do not yearn for more. If a studio hires me and says "Use Maya", I'll say "Yes sir/ma'am." Doesn't reallly bother me. I'm about the art, not the app.

02 February 2003
Silly people

02 February 2003
he's only 15 folks

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
Silly people

Me?

02 February 2003
this whole thread is hmmm, both pointless and great.

at a previous job, I had little exp with Maya, and 5 years on LW. I was asked if using Maya was a problem and of course, I said no. Their reasoning for the question: EVERY LWer that he had interviewed prior to that had been:

"you're using Maya? Well, I will switch you to LW"

For that reason alone, they black flagged LW users almost entirely.
The point: not much really, just us LWers tend to have a very pig headed approach to what we use. BUT, I feel almost all package users are that way..I worked with a Max guy once who refused to seriously learn anything else.

I personnally dont give a flying monkey what package I use, as long as the project is cool, the team I work with great, and the studio is fun.

<.|.. My comments are not those of my employer(s)

02 February 2003
I couldn't agree more, Twidup

02 February 2003
I think the community could do a better job of making it known what production environments are like. I think that people starting with Lightwave sometimes feel that LW should do pretty much everything without feeling like they need external tools. I'm not sure what other places are like, but where I'm at that's really not true. We've got a variety of tools that excel in various ways.

One thing that I really wish had been instilled into me early on as 'acceptable' was post production. I spent my early LW years thinking that everything needed to be PERFECT out of the renderer and that Photoshop and After Effects were like cheating. if I had known that some places do compositing and Post Production (like with final Fantasy, for example...) I would have had a very different view of how to use Lightwave. I would have considered it a tool and not a platform.

I honestly think that's where a lot of my LW bias came from.

02 February 2003
you will never win software wars....just smile and say hello

02 February 2003
And don't forget to wave too!

Oh yeah NanoGator - I hear you on that one! Post prod has saved my ass many times
The day I discovered I could really clean up my renders in Photoshop and AE really changed my way of working! These days, NO render of mine escapes some fiddling in PS

Oh yeah and I totally agree about the fact that people need to try out external tools as well
That is why I always preach to everyone about trying out as many apps as they can. You can never know too many programs, and there is certainly no harm in keeping up to date with all the packages appearing on the market. Keeping your options open, and keeping an open mind will ensure that you stay ahead of the game.

Although LW is certainly my app of choice for all my stuff, that is simply because it suits my style best of all the progs I have tried and because I actually have it at my disposal.
However, I certainly wouldn't turn down a job in a studio that used Max or XSI or Maya - using lots of programs gives the best toolset to create ANYTHING you want, since the areas that are lacking in some apps can be compensated for in others

And as I said before, (and I certainly don't mind saying it again), it's really about the artist. Just look at Brian Taylor and that cheapo app he made Rust Boy in...

02 February 2003
Lightwave sux Don't blame on me, i put the wavey smile there Just kidding, i agree with you all, Lw is a really good program, nothing to say about that, but everybody should remember that artists are more important than programs. And don't say "hey we all know that" because if everybody (myself included) knew the artist's importance then you wouldn't hear "xprogram is better than yprogram" anymore. It may sound odd but I never heard anybody saying "hey Francisco Cortina is worse than Renč Morel!"
just my 2 cents

Thread Closed share thread