STEALING FEATURES: (What features should LW STEAL from the competition?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
I have used Unfold3D lately: http://www.polygonal-design.fr/e_unfold/index.php

Seems like Modo has stolen/adopted that feature for 201. Should be avail in LW too.

08 August 2005
oh zBrush has a very large amount of educational materials n tutorials.
always thought it was funny that the smallest app had the biggest set of educational materials.

RorrKonn
http://www.atomic-3d.com
TS 6, LW 7, C4D 9, zBrush 2.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Nemoid: its a rendering feature wich displaces your mesh, but only at the rendering, taking information from the disp map, and working with pixels.
in Lw instead you have to subdivide the mesh and apply to it a real displacement and this requires different calculations.
sub pixel disp. allows also less problems in the quality of results. for example, without lynx plugins , Lw built in displacement is not so accurate and gives not great results.

Thanks for that info. I appreciate it.

10 October 2005
Grouping: In Max you can group objectc and manipulate them as one, copy,clone, instance...you name it! You gotta have all the objects in one layer before you can do that in layout...supposing you have horsemen and you'd like to apply MD Scan? How about the crowd/delegate system in Max? Wouldn't hurt to have that in Lightwave...maaaaaaybe they shoul punch up the price and include a lot of useful features...'cause right now, I only use lightwave for modeling.

" Perfection is an illusion " -Akika

Last edited by grafikdon : 10 October 2005 at 09:22 PM.

11 November 2005
My 3 picks would be

-Sub Pixel Displacement

-Pelt style UV unwrap like the new Max tools (I use Unfold 3d now)

-Reference Scenes (As in Maya Reference Editor)

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel: Ummm... how about an actually working Undo..?

Yeah! I know!

01 January 2006
Magnet/Proiportional Edit

I`m not yet experienced with Lightwave but I saw on LW edu films LW still has no tool like Maxon Cinema 4D Magnet or Blender`s Proportional Edit. They advice to do morphing to achieve goals like landscape modeling, but it`s a bit of work. In Blender/C4D you just switch the tool on and you can shape your mesh like in Amapi, not vertex by vertex, but like clay. You can set the size of the magnet, i.e. the number of vertices that follow the magnet. In C4D, you also have the option to choose the shape of the magnet, i. e. how the marginal vertices will behave. I`m curious LW still doesn`t seem to have it-it`s extremely useful!

petterms: Yes, there are features competition can steal from LW. For example, Blender could steal its extremely clean and beginner-friendly interface!

01 January 2006
Since all the tools needed to do a magnet-like modeling are already present in LW (the morphing procedure!), it should be easy to implement Magnet/Proportional Edit. Maybe it would be enough to write some simple plugin/script...

CtrlAltDel: Yes, Undo! It`s also the pain of Blenderers, although Bkedner Undo was finally implemented, it still could be bette.

01 January 2006
- Messiah Bones setup!

- Lots of 'undo' in Layout

- XSI's Hard/Soft body dynamics!

- Maya/XSI cloth (LW's cloth is just not workable)

- Hair! Hair! Hair!

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel: Ummm... how about an actually working Undo..?

lol, my thoughts exactly, or even better: multiple working undos.

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by jporter313: lol, my thoughts exactly, or even better: multiple working undos.

oh now you're just talking crazy talk.

03 March 2006
Stability, stability, stability. No feature is useable when the application crashes twice a day.

Furthermore, I would like to see a better API for plugin developers. The current one is the worst I´ve seen. I was scared when I saw how plugins are developed for LW (makes a switch very hard). So pleeeease, provide a better API/SDK and please, include a C++ wrapper by default (darn, who still wants to code in C ???).

04 April 2006
Perhaps not a real 'feature' to grab..but I would like to see them work with Worley and integrate FPrime and Sasquatch to make them truly usable in LW...I think with 9's modular design, it could be easy to do (relatively speaking).

04 April 2006
Something not unlike the Mesh Surgery plug-in for Cinema 4D.

http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/

04 April 2006
How about a few more import/export formats...like Max and IGES...

Thread Closed share thread