STEALING FEATURES: (What features should LW STEAL from the competition?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #1
STEALING FEATURES: (What features should LW STEAL from the competition?)

We don't live in a vacuum. Lightwave is just one fish in an ocean of 3D apps, and to ignore what they are doing right is not healthy. And trust me there is a lot of BIG fishes.

So in order to clear the air, I have taken the liberty of posting a series of threads where we can spotlight ideas/tools/functionality that would be cool if we could "steal"/copy for Lightwave.

The idea of this thread is to provide an one stop place where developers (from Newtek, or independent) can come in and get ideas.

The titles and links for the threads are below.

STEALING FEATURES: SOFTIMAGE (What Soft features should LW STEAL?)
STEALING FEATURES: MAYA (What MAYA features should LW STEAL?)
STEALING FEATURES: 3D Studio MAX (What MAX features should LW STEAL?)
STEALING FEATURES: Alias Motion Builder(What M Builder features should LW STEAL?)
(More will be added later depending on the success of this thread.)

RULES:
  • KEEP IT POSITIVE
    No "slamming". A person might disagree with you and that is OK. There is no need to make a Sicilian vendetta out of it.
  • STAY ON TOPIC
    Please stay on target.
  • NO WHINING.
    This thread is not intended to show us that beautiful axe you have been grinding. If Newtek kidnapped your family and burned your house to the ground, we don't care.
Looking forward to your ideas.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 12 December 2004 at 03:27 PM.

Old 12 December 2004   #2
What about node based texturing like in messiah, looks cool to me.
Ofcourse full edge modeling tools and edge weights like in modo.
Brush based modeling tools like zbrush, better support for the displacement maps system.

Old 12 December 2004   #3
LW should steal the layer palette (and stability) from Photoshop
The real-time cloth from Cinema 4D (THE most fun!)
Sub-poly displacement (C4D again)
Built-in SSS (er... C4D)
Ditch the crappy dynamics and integrate Impact 3 instead
The edge and point bevelling of modo
N-gons (modo, C4D)
The native After Effects and Photoshop multipass file output from C4D
The realtime organic sculpting of ZBrush (or at least some element of it) :-)

Old 12 December 2004   #4
They should steal the ability to paint or project right onto images as found in Zbrush or body paint. This would defintely complete LW.

Old 12 December 2004   #5
How about "adopt, copy or emulate" - "steal" sounds so deviant.

Old 12 December 2004   #6
Agreed!

I agree with everything Darth Mole said except the Photoshop deal because I love LW's Surface Editor and I think it's one of LW's highlights . But - I particularly agree with these that are in most need:
NGONS (max?, maya, cinema 4D)
EDGE support (cinema 4D, modo)
SUBPIXEL DISPLACEMENT (cinema 4D)

Originally Posted by Darth Mole: LW should steal the layer palette (and stability) from Photoshop
The real-time cloth from Cinema 4D (THE most fun!)
Sub-poly displacement (C4D again)
Built-in SSS (er... C4D)
Ditch the crappy dynamics and integrate Impact 3 instead
The edge and point bevelling of modo
N-gons (modo, C4D)
The native After Effects and Photoshop multipass file output from C4D
The realtime organic sculpting of ZBrush (or at least some element of it) :-)

Old 12 December 2004   #7
Something like Project Messiah's "flex tools" would be a great addition to LW for charcter animation.

Old 12 December 2004   #8
Perhaps make parts of LW open source, and see some tremendous speed enhancement in development (but ofcourse, still a commercial application with pay pr liscence).

Just check out the latest point release of Blender and all the new features it has... its becoming tremendously powerful as a 3D application:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_2_36.384.0.html

Old 01 January 2005   #9
Wink

LW should definetly steel the fur and hair system from XSI or maya cuz saslite and sasquatch suck...it would be cool to have better particle effect tools like fluid dynamics or something from maya or realflow...put realflow in lightwave lightFlow yeah....

Old 01 January 2005   #10
I miss some easy, cool special effects like water, fire, liquids, gelly and different gasses.
And I agree that sasquatch sucks, mine does not even work.

Old 01 January 2005   #11
We don't have a seperate thread for programs I want some features "stolen"

Texture deformer using bones: Messiah
Subpixel displacement: Messiah
Hair: XSI

I am a new features freak. I am not putting them all here

Old 01 January 2005   #12
What I would like to see besides n-gons is increased number of points per poly, to make boolean subtracting easier. It would be nice to beable to boolean subtract an extruded disc from a sub'd object as an example for n-gons.

Silk

Old 01 January 2005   #13
Originally Posted by Ramon: I agree with everything Darth Mole said except the Photoshop deal because I love LW's Surface Editor and I think it's one of LW's highlights . But - I particularly agree with these that are in most need:
NGONS (max?, maya, cinema 4D)
EDGE support (cinema 4D, modo)
SUBPIXEL DISPLACEMENT (cinema 4D)

you do know that max n-gons suck dont you. they dont work. sure you can make em but u only have to make them 4 side right after or ur mesh will look like crap.

Old 01 January 2005   #14
Originally Posted by SEMIRO: LW should definetly steel the fur and hair system from XSI ...

Joe Alter helped develop the integrated Hair/Fur system for XSI and as you know he created Shave and a Haircut for LW several years ago ... but then there was some bad blood between him and Newtek and that was the end of that. He went on to develop for Maya, Cinema4d and XSI.

Old 01 January 2005   #15
Zbrush stuff for Lightwave use??

I am a long time lw user that has just recently started to use/play with Zbrush 2.0. It is an incredible program that really does redefine the way that I do 3D or thought that it could be done. But the one idea that I think could be "stolen" from zbrush and incorporated into lighwave fairly easily is PROJECTION MASTER.
This tool used in LW combined with a plugin to link it up to a 3rd party paint program like PSP or Photoshop would be the bomb for lightwave. Then, UV mapping truly would be incorporated easily and well into lightwave and you wouldn't have to take all the time to set up your model for screen grabs using the printscreen key for crying out loud...

I would love to see this in lw, and the idea of the renderer "cutting off" all of the parts of the models not shown... before rendering the scene and therefore not rendering stuff that can't be seen... that is a pretty bomb-diggity idea as well.

I love lw and will probably always be first and foremost a LW user but dangit, some of these other programs have gotten some stuff seriously right! Nice idea for a thread!

Regards,
Half

Thread Closed share thread