CGTalk > Software > Lightwave 3D
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #61
StevenDS

Exclamation

Please recode all plug-ins that don't take advantage of multi-threading/multiple CPUs to, well, use all available CPU power.

That would be super.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #62
bodoquedoc
3d media animator

parametric animation, layout and modeler integrated and more competitive in reference for the others, a viper like fprime

Old 12-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #63
dony1
M dony
Canada

Thumbs up Scientific Research on LightWave 3D

Hello Folks,
I found this posting very interesting and I would like to invite you all to share your experiences with me and contribute to my research. I posted the description of my research in this forum (Title: Scientific Research on LightWave 3D):
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...455#post4072455
If you like to go directly to project website here is the link:
<http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~donyaee>
Your experiences are very valuable to me and I would appreciate your participation. I will share the results as soon as they are ready.
Good luck everybody

Last edited by dony1 : 12-14-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #64
JeremyBass
Jeremy Bass
Zen Designs
Lewiston, USA

so i don't know if anyone sujested this before but i'v got LW9 and i think it'd be cool if you could chose which panals share and are stand alone, putting a check box at the top of all panals to turn it off and on. it's an easy thing to add and a good sultion for the new handling of the pannels... i know everyone at the studio i work at complanes about this area... it's so easy to add it could and i think should be added before the release of the update to LW9.. but thats just my small idea...

Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #65
adboy
Veteran

portfolio
adrian thompson
fx maker
double negative
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to adboy Send a message via MSN to adboy
first let me say i love lightwave, but it falss short in a few places but not as may as you'd think, i work as a vfx artist and as far as i can tell the main things lightwave needs to make it competitive are....

a real render pass system as in
this object this light in a pass and in this pass i want the light to use these setting and the object to use this material

its been said before but i'll say it again, fluid dynamics similar to mayas, and the easy way things cane be linked , like forces and particles, i find it hard to believe that maya has had this system so long and we still havent come up with anything similar

and last but easily the most important is the scripting, programs liek maya are only used as widly as they are because they give the ability to chage anything u want to suit your purpose via scripting, lightwave should drop lscript and use python as most other are, hell maya is now python, so is xsi and realfow, would be nice to open up lightwaves tools to a whole new set of users wouldnt it

Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #66
DustinBrown
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dustin Brown
Character Artist
San Diego, USA

1) Construction history. It's kind of a bummer having to keep multiple versions of my geometry in situations where construction history could have kept me from having to do so.

2) More thorough documentation and tutorials. Look at what Autodesk has for 3ds Max and Maya. The docs and tuts that ship with their software are great. I wish I had a penny for every time I had a question about a specific field or option in LW, I did a search for it in the LW help, and it came back with zilch. I also don't like that the help is Flash. Flash makes it kind of clunky to use.

3) In the Load Object Layer dialog, if would be great if you could load more than one layer at a time. Instead of loading layer 1 then 9 then 12, you could type in 1, 9, 12 and get it done all on one feld swoop.

4) Lattices. Because they're the shit. And don't give me that "you can do the same thing with weight maps" crap. Lattices are faster.

5) Standard base shaders, like Phong and Lambert. (edit: implimented in v9.0)

6) The ability to choose your Content Directory from Modeler (or at least Hub!). Sometimes I just pop in to Modeler to make some geometry tweaks. Currently I have to open Layout first to choose my Content Directory, otherwise Modeler is confused as to where to find the assets it wants. (edit: implimented in v9.0)

7) In Layout, make Subdivision Order set to LAST by default. For the love of God.

8) Make the default lighting in Layout something more evenly lit. The currenly moody single spot light doesn't lend itself to allowing the user to just pop in to Layout and do a quick task in a new scene. I mean you can, but but you won't be able to see what you're doing. I currently keep a scene with a "defaul" lit rig that I import in to any new scene, but that's a workaround...and workarounds are lame.

9) Make it so Layout can import more audio formats than just wav files. The ability to import mp3's, for example, would be great because they're smaller and are less likely to bog down your scene. When recources are in a bind, audio playback in Layout can quickly get so choppy that it's almost impossible to understand what you're hearing.

- Dustin

Last edited by DustinBrown : 04-10-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #67
Polou
Expert

Smile Import/Export

I will love a better import & export = obj with mtl.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #68
salahaddin
KritZ
Thailand

- add edge (split edge) anywhere on polygon.
- bevel edge (rounder) improve.
- Selection mode (rectangle,lasso,circle).
- X-ray mode in modeler
- Auto show background when create new layer (like modo)
- Freeze object (can't select object) mode.
- Sculpt tool.
- Object History.
- shadow maps to all light type.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #69
mlynch
Box Full of Sky

portfolio
Michael Lynch
Illustrator - Designer
Box Full of Sky
Rockaway, USA

Send a message via AIM to mlynch Send a message via Yahoo to mlynch
I know it's been stated before, but...

I'd love to see a non-destructive modifier stack added to Modeler.

I'd also love to see instancing implemented in Layout.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #70
lukasdesign
Product Designer

Lukas Home
Product Designer
Genève, Switzerland

Nurbs....

I would love to do some basic modelling with NURBS, but I really need the ability to import IGES or STEP. Lightwave is such a great tool for visualization, but the import from StudioTools, Rhino or SolidEdge via *.lwo or *.obj is so time consuming, specially during the whole creative process. I guess if u have to render only the final model it's no problem but importing it all the time just for showing your new ideas to your AD is a pain...

Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #71
vancliff
Expert
portfolio
Ivan Agustin Pedraza Peluffo
Barranquilla, Colombia

Send a message via MSN to vancliff Send a message via Yahoo to vancliff
in modeler when making an object in one layer and then forgetting to click in the next layer icon and you will have a hard time separating both objects it shouldnot be so, there should be a way to make two different objects in one layer

Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #72
Megacal

Cal
Escondido, USA

Wink

I have LW9, am basically a newbie, am taking the course on LW9 at VTC, but am
very frustrated with the program. I believe it's a great app, and I want to be able to
use it well , but just can't seem to get to 1st base with it. (emoticon here banging head
on wall).

I'd like to see a more user-friendly interface....I'd like to be able to create something easily, grab it, move it, tweek it easily as I can in trueSpace6.6.....it's so intuitive.
(that program is seriously under-rated here, IMHO....it has some very cool modeling tools)

The point is, a high-end app doesn't have to necessarily have a learning curve as steep
as say, Mt.Everest. I know LW is supposed to be "easy", I guess compared to Max or Maya, but for me, it's anything but.

I don't have time to take a formal course (eg like Gnomon's or at a college), so I'm
learning on my own. I'm not a constrained by money so much as by time available.
If I can make a reasonable amount of progress, I keep going.

Time = money, right? The faster someone can learn and use an app the better all around.

I would also like to see support for NURBS. Is LW the only one that doesn't have them?

Based on what I've seen other's do, and what users say, "I love LW, etc", I intend to
keep banging my head on the gui until one or the other cracks.

BTW, I've been using 3D apps since I had an Amiga in '89, but lately have had the urge to really dig in and spend the time and energy learning & creating what I can imagine.

In the past 2 months I've tried:

1. Maya....great app, difficult gui
  2. XSI....great app, great gui...I may still get it.
  3. Modo....ditto
  4. Rhino....very cool
  5. Silo....spartan, but good.
  6. Vue.....great app....amazing demo....appears hard to learn.
  7. Blender.....everyone likes it.....doesn't do it for me (yet)
Besides LW9 I have:
  1. trueSpace6.6....didn't like it originally, but have found it easy & powerful...great app.
  2. Carrara6 Pro....great app, great gui
  3. ZBrush3....amazing app & beautiful gui
  4. StrataCX5....very nice gui...relatively easy to use
  5. Hexagon2....ditto
  6. Bryce6....an oldy-but-goody.....best dang interface of all, IMHO.
"A great app is a terrible thing to waste", so I hope something will "click" between me
and LW, even if it never has NURBS or the gui remains as inigmatic as Fu Man Chu.

"Never give up, never give up..." - Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Megacal : 09-12-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #73
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Re-opened the thread.

_R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #74
Koshmar
Anim8or

Delayed OpenGL antialiasing...

... similar to Deep Exploration's... Rotate/pan/zoom without AA smoothly -> stop and wait/think what to do next -> and in a split second you get a nice, clearer antialiased view... It would be nice for us not having Quadros or FireGLs or similar...

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #75
sk3d
Expert

portfolio
Sam King
Artist
Cape Town, South Africa

Input:

I use the Autodesk products alot, so alot of my referance comes from them:

Better polly modelling tools. Theyr nice, but PLEASE add a split poly tool or cut tool like in Maya / Max.

Better extrusion; Its never neat, often spliting the polys and goin off in odd angles.

A proper Character animation sytem. I use Messiah, How do they get away wirth not having this!!!???

Bitmap update in Layout and modeller; Why do i have to always update changed image maps manualy, the other progs do this automaticly!

Being uble to add multiple smooth groups on a mesh (like in Max). need it!

Being able to see hair/fur in viewport and maybe an ability to groom them?

Better particle effects like Maya.

Proper undo system in Layout, and possibly a command history for modeller too.

Repeat last function button plz

Cant think of any more for now.

Well done Newtek on the Nodal texturing updates, improved GI performance and normal mapping support. Lovely stuff, MUCH appreciated!

Cheers

SK

reply share thread