HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE (Tell us your ideas)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2005   #31
A VCR button set for Graph Editor (or a working shortcut) will be cool.
Has anybody ever done motion tracking thru the Graph editor? Paaainnnfulll
Moving frame by frame by arrow button has to be done in main window, switching from the Graph Editor to main window just top off my stress level.

[revised: found the shortcut: shift + arrow ]

Or, hey, better yet, a built-in motion tracker.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 06 June 2005 at 05:56 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #32
An idea for interaction between Modeler and Layout

One of my complaints about the Modeler being a separate program from Layout is that it limits an artist's ability to be spontaneous when working in a scene. If you are working on a scene and decide you want an object to be modeled to fit into a scene that has multiple object files / layers loaded in and cloned all over the place, you have to start a brand new object or layer, and then model it blindly and then check back in Layout to see how it fits. These kinds of extra steps slow you down and hinder your creativity. So here's an idea:

Make a button called "Create Object" in Layout. When you press this button it opens a new window (let's call it the Create Object window).

The first button in the window will create a null that you position in the scene where you want the object's pivot point to be located.

The next button ("model object") will switch to Modeler, where you can start building your mesh or whatever; but here's the tricky bit: one of the options for "Create Object" should create a "mesh snapshot" of the entire scene that is in Layout and throw it into a special layer in modeler (with options to limit polycounts for the snapshot in case you have a complicated scene, only snapshot a selected area, etc...) so you can see your model in it's new home right within modeler. And if you want you can pull points and polygons from the snapshot to integrate into your new model.

I think this would really help the workflow in lightwave and allow artists to quickly add to scenes without burdening them with all the steps they would have to go through to do this by hand.

Old 07 July 2005   #33
Originally Posted by akademus: Just crossed my mind. It would be cool to have Morph sliders in Modeler so we can see it's behaviour before sending it to layout and adding the Morph Mixer

check this one: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plu...m#MorphMapMixer

note: before using the sliders in Modeler, create an empty endomorph.

www.toonafish.nl
Buy stock objects

Old 07 July 2005   #34
Originally Posted by StevenBHS: normal mapping ?

here ya go :

http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_junk.html

www.toonafish.nl
Buy stock objects

Old 07 July 2005   #35
Hahaha, amazing... so many things have been addressed by the Lightwave community. Shame Newtek hasn't done the same and put them into the software itself

Old 07 July 2005   #36
Learn to play well with others

Provide better support for others' object formats.
C4D can load LW objects and scenes. It can also load lwos from Modo so there are two 3d apps out there right now that support lwos with n-gons and LW isn't one of them. Crazy, huh?
Start providing better support for Maya. Until NT makes LW do whatever it is people leave it to go to Maya for, they could at least make it easier to come back for rendering which is what many people do thanks to the 999 nodes allowed.

Old 07 July 2005   #37
First of all, Lightwave is a beautiful package, and, despite all critics, is on a good path, IMHO. I don't ask some complicated things, only things that could be implemented easily by Newtek's talented team.

These are some things I have seen in 3dmax, and I think those would be useful in Lightwave:
----------------------

- import from other 3d formats, without the need for other plugins, not only exporting; exporting with quads for 3DS format

- I wish I could see again 8bf support, for Photoshop filters in post; the legacy plugin in unstable; this could be used to affect some special buffers, without the need for post;

- a much better Glow effect, with per-object settings, not globally; and more than 4 special buffers - but with a good compositing package, I could live with that

- a better snapping for Modeler, and especially, for Layout; yeah, snapping in Layout; everybody wants it.

- some integrated plugins for Camera matching & tracking - would be very nice !

- selective import in "Load from scene"

- a Group/Ungroup command(optionally, can be done with a script)

- More selection tools in Modeler - polyline lasso, paint selection

- Ease/Multiplier curve for animation channels

- a command similar with Normalize time/Constant velocity

A very cool thing I like to see in Lightwave nine is a procedural system for creating complex geometry, like L-system. Houdini has it.

A great enhancement for Lightwave would be also an extended API. It doesn't directly affects end users, but allows developers like Worley Labs to do better plugins for us.

That's all, folks, and sorry for my english.

Old 07 July 2005   #38
Hey i'm new here...
I just wanted to add that it would be cool if u could goto the camera properties and choose render modes...like clay style or wireframe clay or wireframe texture or whatever.
Then from there, choose the specific options for that style...ie: what colour the wires will be rendered...then do the render, then just go back to the camera and set it back to normal texture render.
That way u don't have to edit each objects textures just to do a clay render or in the case of wireframe, u dont have to run the multiple_surface plugin...save it as a seperate file and then load it up again.

Old 08 August 2005   #39
I think the seperation between modeler and layout is an old and outdated concept and is holding ightwave back more than it is beneficial.

Also, correct me if these have been fixed because I haven't used lightwave since v6.5, but:

-MULTIPLE UNDOS IN LAYOUT!! This is ridiculous not to have.
-everything is undoable. Last time I used lightwave you could only undo certain things, this was really aggravating.
-good way to pick objects in a complex scene. When I was using lightwave before, the only way to pick things was to click them in the viewport which was totally broken, or to pick from that stupid menu at the bottom of layout which was totally inefficient.

When I last used it, Modeler was an up to date, well designed, powerfull program, while it seemed like Layout needed a LOT of work, maybe this has changed since then.

Old 08 August 2005   #40
Originally Posted by jporter313: I think the seperation between modeler and layout is an old and outdated concept and is holding ightwave back more than it is beneficial.

Gotta disagree slightly... i think the way each module is separate makes me work in a more productive way. Having models separate from scene files prevents HUGE files and promotes nice folder hierarchies and a clean way of working. BUT i agree that it does hold LW back a bit. No animated modelling is a pain, despite workarounds that are in place, it's still not good. From what i've seen of Siggraph '05 and Lightwave 9, Newtek have actually fixed all of these points. Layout will include most modelling tools, so they will animatable... yet the object and scene files will be kept separate, just the way i like them. Another plus for a different way of working (i don't agree with integration though, it always makes for bloated packages and files) is the RAM usage. At the moment, with LW's hub, modeller, layout all using chunks of RAM to store object information seems wrong, and wasteful.

Seems like LW9 will fix most peoples worries for the software... it has fixed most of mine.

Old 08 August 2005   #41
Originally Posted by lardbros: Gotta disagree slightly... i think the way each module is separate makes me work in a more productive way. Having models separate from scene files prevents HUGE files and promotes nice folder hierarchies and a clean way of working. BUT i agree that it does hold LW back a bit. No animated modelling is a pain, despite workarounds that are in place, it's still not good. From what i've seen of Siggraph '05 and Lightwave 9, Newtek have actually fixed all of these points. Layout will include most modelling tools, so they will animatable... yet the object and scene files will be kept separate, just the way i like them. Another plus for a different way of working (i don't agree with integration though, it always makes for bloated packages and files) is the RAM usage. At the moment, with LW's hub, modeller, layout all using chunks of RAM to store object information seems wrong, and wasteful.

Seems like LW9 will fix most peoples worries for the software... it has fixed most of mine.

From what I read they just integrated mesh deformation into Layout, it's a step in the right direction, but not the fundamental change that I feel is needed.

I hate to say it and I know I'm going to get flamed, but since I moved to Maya I can not see how they could make this seperate programs approach work and be competitive with the top tier 3D apps.

Also, can anyone tell me, did they ever fix the undo problems I mentioned before? They are one of the major reasons I left lightwave, they kept adding new features and didn't ever fix the ridiculously basic problems that the program had.

Old 08 August 2005   #42
Quote: they kept adding new features and didn't ever fix the ridiculously basic problems that the program had.

Yup. Well that's all supposed to change with 9. That's the hope, anyway.

Old 08 August 2005   #43
see message below

Last edited by jporter313 : 08 August 2005 at 09:15 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #44
Originally Posted by Zarathustra: Yup. Well that's all supposed to change with 9. That's the hope, anyway.

I hope so man, Lightwave has got a lot of things going for it, it would be nice to see them fix those problems and make it a viable competitor to Max/XSI/Maya, god knows it has the potential.

On the other hand, they've been saying that same thing since 6, and there's only so many times they can cry wolf before they lose their credibility.

I almost think they should go the Softimage/XSI or Alias/Maya route and start fresh, seems to have worked well for these other companies, maybe Newtek could benefit from it too.

Old 08 August 2005   #45
I have also used 3dsMAX ALOT in the past, and get on with it very well, just still like Lightwave for most of the work i do.

Anyway... what i gather is that instead of going the "start fresh" route, and leaving it's customers with nothing for a great deal of time, Newtek have gone the change huge chunks while keeping the base package in tact. Seems the toughest choice in terms of working against yourself (just an assumption, i'm no programmer at all) but atleast they will keep us lot happy with updates more often. Newtek has gone through a massive upheaval since version 6, and now, after employing a brand new team, progression is going in leaps and bounds. Clearly the dev team have gotten to grips with things since version 8, and now 9 will include many things we have kept our fingers crossed for a long time... N-gon support, faster rendering, hardware shading sith faster OpenGL too, plenty more things aswell...

Maya is great software but it has had a solid core for a while, meaning easier to update and with prices on their upgrades they sure as hell can afford to put alot of money into development. Now that Newtek are opening up the SDK and thinking towards the future, by keeping every added feature open and ready for any new advances in technology, we will see things happen more speedily. Here's hoping!!

reply share thread