HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE (Tell us your ideas)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2004
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE (Tell us your ideas)

Ok in order to clear the air, I have taken the liberty of posting a series of threads
where ideas on how to improve Lightwave can be posted in an organized fashion.
The idea is to provide an one stop place where developers (from Newtek, or independent)can come in and get ideas.

The titles and links for the threads are below

HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: LWO Format
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Rigging
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Web 3d
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: CAD

HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Character Animation
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Dynamics
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Effects
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Layout
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Modeling
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Rendering
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: SDK and plug-in development
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Interoperability with other apps
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Workflow
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Expressions
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: 2D (Stealing Ideas from 2D Programs)
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Operating Systems
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: NonLinear Editing
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE:Latest CG Papers (Tell us about Bleeding Edge CG Research )
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Crowd Simulation

Looking forward to your ideas.
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08 August 2006 at 03:20 PM.

10 October 2004
hello roberto,
what about a HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: workflow?
cheers,

edit:

Thanks!!

Last edited by tais : 10 October 2004 at 01:53 AM.

10 October 2004
Voice activated tool selection. Its an idea

11 November 2004
Red face This won't fit into any of the above categories...

Here's one that won't fit into any of those threads: LightWave needs better and more thorough documentation.

Here's a few examples of things NOT covered in the docs, that throw folks off:
  • Edge Z-Scale -- set it to 1 if you're using a high Zoom lens, to keep Edges from popping out of the model altogether. In other situations, try lowering it slightly to pull Edges towards the camera, for cleaner lines. Folks who don't know anything about Edge Z-Scale often complain about Edges not looking nice, or falling apart, or whatever...when it's not the Edges' fault. They're only doing what they're told to do.
  • NodeMatch -- not covered at all in the docs, but potentially useful.
  • Bezier Handles in the Graph Editor and the ALT key -- you can hold down the ALT key to move each Bezier handle independently of its twin. This isn't covered in the HTML docs, and I'm not sure if the PDF file covers it, either. Two Maya guys recently complained to me that LightWave didn't have this feature, and as it turned out LightWave DOES -- it's just not documented.

11 November 2004
What about something like "Paint Effects" in Maya... That would be awesome

Portfolio

11 November 2004
Maxwell renderer

Currently, you need to buy plugins to get the renderer to do advanced stuff like SSS and smoothe bump specularity etc... This should all be integrated and should be easy to use. Look at this new renderer in development by nextlimit.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/

11 November 2004
Quote: What about something like "Paint Effects" in Maya... That would be awesome
Why not just use Maya?

But what would I add in lightwave?
Modeling - paint deform like in zbrush
UV setup - make the uv prjection editable. so you could "huge" the cylinder mapping more to the object and reduce editting time

Animation - would it be possible for lightwave to use the GPU vertex shader to accelerate defomation and dynamics?

Rendering - A Rib and rSl exporter would be wonderful

Last edited by Babaduca : 11 November 2004 at 08:25 AM.

12 December 2004
hi there.
there are many things that can be improved in LW, but it will be great if LW at last become 1 app.(not 2: layout + modeler). lot of users have problems with it.

sorry for my english

12 December 2004
Quote: there are many things that can be improved in LW, but it will be great if LW at last become 1 app.(not 2: layout + modeler). lot of users have problems with it.
Why? it's not distrupting producyivity. Even if you'r using a single app like maya or max most people somtimes do their modeling in silo or Modo and animate in motionbuilder or messiah and then bring it in to maya and max just for the rendering. And on the technical stand point. seperate app makes developing new tools more easyer.

Last edited by Babaduca : 12 December 2004 at 02:50 PM.

02 February 2005
Regarding the issue on 2 application (layout and modeler), I think it's not really a problem. Yes, some people may not like the way LW handles it (similar to how LW's UI is 'strange' and 'awkward'). I initially couldn't understand why LW needs to have 2 apps when 1 should be easier to use when I switched from program X to LW. However, as I start getting down to using it, I realized that 2 apps do have its advantages, and most importantly, it helps the work schedule instead of bogging it down, thus reducing the wasted time and effort in production. Now, I don't want to think of the day when LW integrates them into 1...

Bottomline is, try to understand how the 2 apps work and voila, you can see its beauty

02 February 2005
The biggest problem I have with LW is not its functionality but rather its usefulness in the market. All of the software that I buy or browse to purchase that might utilize 3d models only take 3ds and Maya. Alot of software out there seems to cut out LW. If LW could do anything, it'd be to see to it that their extensions are included for import among the bigger name software. The reverse is also true. You need to be able to export to more file types used by more programs. Because if I need a model and turn to LW as a solution and it doesn't fill the need, Im forced to turn elsewhere.

02 February 2005
Thinking >.<

It would be cool if you could use your mouse to grab a back drop image in moduler and move it to where you would like it to be insteed of playing with the numbers. If this is already a feture, please let me know how its done =D

02 February 2005
bogs down

One thing i would like to see improved is the way LW slows right down to a stand still when working on high poly models. Of course LW being seperated instead of integrated is great and i would definitely like it to stay that way something more needs to be done.

02 February 2005
Lightbulb Keyframe/Animate Everything

Light wave needs the ability to keyframe or animate every setting and every variable.
There are still setings in lightawave that are just set and that is how it is for the animation, but some of those settings would be cool if you could animate them or have them change over time.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say the glass is half full, but I think the glass is twice as tall as it should be.

03 March 2005
Talking Pop-up Windows

In Layout As You Go Through The Motions Add Plugin Here, Displacement There I Find It Annoying That It All Comes From The Same Window. Now Don't Get Me Wrong Too Many Windows Is Bad, But If I Want Motion Window Up And Ik Controller Window Up At The Same Time Shouldn't I Be Able To. I Just Wish I Could Have That Option Whether I Want Pop-ups Or Not.

reply share thread