LW 11 not importing OBJ poly groups or vertex groups

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
LW 11 not importing OBJ poly groups or vertex groups

I have OBJ files that have both polygon part groups as well as vertex groups and LW 11 isn't importing any of that, only material groups.
LW 10 did this perfectly, but not LW 11, and I've looked all over the options for something like "Import my OBJ files correctly like you used to", but can't find anything like that.

Luckily I'm just using the trial or else I'd be really upset, but there's no way I'm going to buy it if it can't import OBJ files correctly.

So, is OBJ import broken in LW 11 or am I just blind and stupid?

09 September 2012
Have you tried the same exact object in LW 10.x? Does it work or not? Also, it takes two to Tango, import problems do not necessarily mean the problem is on LWs side.

Let us know.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jburford: Have you tried the same exact object in LW 10.x? Does it work or not? Also, it takes two to Tango, import problems do not necessarily mean the problem is on LWs side.

Let us know.

Well yeah, I have tried it in LW 10, as I made sure to specifically state in my first post, second sentence.

And yeah, the problem is on LW's side, being that Softimage, Maya, Modo and UV Layout all recognize the part and poly group in the same object.

What's different in LW 11 from LW 10 is the mysterious "OBJ ZBrush Mode" option is gone from the options list. OBJ files import into LW 11 in the same way as they would in LW 10 without that option checked, i.e., no poly group information.

Please don't tell me I'm the first person to ever notice this...

09 September 2012
twosheds,

was not trying to make "stupid" remarks in regards to your question. Guess I honed in too much on your, "I have obj files" part of the sentence as a general statement, and not a specific as in exact one that was tested.

anyways. . . . I wish you Good Luck with Your Problem.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jburford: twosheds,

was not trying to make "stupid" remarks in regards to your question. Guess I honed in too much on your, "I have obj files" part of the sentence as a general statement, and not a specific as in exact one that was tested.

anyways. . . . I wish you Good Luck with Your Problem.

Well it's okay man, and thanks for your reply.

Although it's not exactly my problem - it's Newtek's problem, as this will definitely keep me from upgrading since I use the OBJ format enough that it's important enough to me to use programs that read the files correctly.

I really wish LW didn't render so nicely because it would be so much easier walking away from it forever. With Newtek it's just a never-ending cycle of add new tools, break old tools.

09 September 2012
I take it you tried the Newtek Forums where one has a really good chance of getting an answer or direction?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jburford: I take it you tried the Newtek Forums where one has a really good chance of getting an answer or direction?

I just thought I'd try here since it's nothing urgent and I know a lot of the NT forum people hang out here too, plus I lost interest in that forum back when they started screwing it all up.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jburford: I take it you tried the Newtek Forums where one has a really good chance of getting an answer or direction?

That'd require them to be up for more than an hour or two at a time.

09 September 2012
By the way, anyone can try this in Modeler 11 if they want to.
Simply create some simple object, select some polygons and create a part.
Then export as OBJ, load it back in and the part you created is gone.

Another funny thing I just discovered is that Hub still lists http://help.lightwave3d.com as the help site, yet that doesn't' even exist any longer.
And I found a thread about it too, here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread...lightwave3d-com

Of course, Newtek didn't even bother to reply to that thread, nor have they fixed the URL even in the most recent LW version.

Makes me wonder if they even care about LW anymore. I'd just as soon see them sell LW to Autodesk to use as a Softimage plugin.

09 September 2012
OBJ import export

In LW 11, type the letter o to bring up the options panel.

In the OBJ tab at the top, uncheck OBJ One layer and OBJ One VMap, you can also uncheck OBJ Reverse Ka & Kd.

The default settings are set up to automatically work with ZBrush which only accepts one layer and one vmap.

I hope this helps!

(For GoZ to work with ZBrush, those boxes DO need to be checked)

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by digitaldoc: In LW 11, type the letter o to bring up the options panel.

In the OBJ tab at the top, uncheck OBJ One layer and OBJ One VMap, you can also uncheck OBJ Reverse Ka & Kd.

The default settings are set up to automatically work with ZBrush which only accepts one layer and one vmap.

I hope this helps!

(For GoZ to work with ZBrush, those boxes DO need to be checked)

I've tried all those options and it still doesn't load OBJ files with any polygon part groups.

Thanks anyway though.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by twosheds: I've tried all those options and it still doesn't load OBJ files with any polygon part groups.

Is the behavior the same in 11.0.1/2/3? None of them seem to work properly? Have you filed a bug report on it yet? Sounds worthwhile.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jwiede: Is the behavior the same in 11.0.1/2/3? None of them seem to work properly? Have you filed a bug report on it yet? Sounds worthwhile.

Well I don't know about 11.0 or 11.01, as I was using the trial version of 11.02, and I wasn't even aware there was a .03 yet.

Have you tried this to see if it's happening for you? As I wrote above it's as easy as creating an object with a few parts, exporting it as OBJ and reloading it and looking for parts.

09 September 2012
Proper Route

I highly suggest you use the proper way to contact Newtek and let them respond to this.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/

09 September 2012
You are correct twosheds.

Time to submit a bug report.

Thread Closed share thread