MIA forums?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Angry

I keep hearing this is an ISP problem, and I'm sure it is to some extent, but I can have access one minute and then suddenly nothing. It is then typically 24 hours before I can connect again, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

It may not be Newteks fault directly but we didn't get this BS before they started buggering about with the forums.

More than a little pissed off at the moment.

09 September 2012
Thumbs down

I tend to agree with post on the lack of NewTek attempting some information sent to users. I have not been able to view page most of week since Monday.

Today I am only able to se the Forums page but clicking a link sends me to old browser page saying that forum is down for maintenace.

Go figure LW having this much of a challenge and decision to make changes during periods higher use than off hours.

aj

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by cagey5: I keep hearing this is an ISP problem, and I'm sure it is to some extent, but I can have access one minute and then suddenly nothing.

This is NOT just a problem with external viewers' resolution of the proper IP address, there is something taking the actual forums offline as well. Perhaps it's an ISP problem at Newtek's end, that I might believe, but not from the external viewers' side of things. Just try doing resolution from DNS servers "closer" via network to Newtek (say the same as Newtek's own DNS service), then _only_ referencing by IP address, and you'll STILL still see extended periods where the forum's IP-direct-accessed result is "down".

Last edited by jwiede : 09 September 2012 at 10:26 PM.

09 September 2012
This is starting to get irritating. It's hit and miss now; it's up and it's down.

09 September 2012
Up and down, up and down. Now it's been down for most of the weekend. Not very professional at all. Who's running the show?

09 September 2012
In typical Newtek fashion. No acknowledgement of a problem, no indication as to when it will be fixed, just the usual no communication, bury your head in the sand stance.

You keep thinking they are on the way to getting better and being professional and these stupid things crop up to prove the contrary.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by cagey5: In typical Newtek fashion. No acknowledgement of a problem, no indication as to when it will be fixed, just the usual no communication, bury your head in the sand stance.

Agreed, this is simply not the way these kinds of things should be handled or communicated.
Originally Posted by cagey5: You keep thinking they are on the way to getting better and being professional and these stupid things crop up to prove the contrary.

I hear lots of comments about how much things have changed, but honestly, in terms of the actions taken and results, I just don't see the quantity of actual change others are claiming to have occurred. I hope I'm wrong, either way time will tell in marketshare and progress.

09 September 2012
As far as Lightwave goes; I think giving Rob and Team total anonymity over the whole pie, including separate LW Forums is the way to go.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by OGKeithC: As far as Lightwave goes; I think giving Rob and Team total anonymity over the whole pie, including separate LW Forums is the way to go.

Anonymity? I'm guessing you mean 'autonomy' and I'd agree with that.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by OGKeithC: Up and down, up and down. Now it's been down for most of the weekend. Not very professional at all. Who's running the show?

The forum disruption notification in the forums (when you can get to them) is set to expire 22nd September, although the body of the text only talks about a few days disruption starting on the 7th.

There was a notification of expected disruption on Sunday due to a service provider :

'Also, our local network service provider has notified us of their intention to perform a fiber splice on Sunday, September 16, 2012. This is expected to affect service for up to 3-4 hours in the period between 8am and 5pm (C.S.T) on that day.'

That said, the IT infrastructure at NT seems to be largely immune to learning lessons. Hopefully, the carve-out of the LW group will address that in future - having their own support systems won't hurt at all.

I do wonder how the other departments (e.g. Tricaster) feel - their support forums are tied in to the main forums and will be experiencing the same reliability problems.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by philstopford: Hopefully, the carve-out of the LW group will address that in future

Is there any reason to think such a carving out is occurring or will occur in the future? It sounds a bit like wishful thinking (and a bit like a nightmare too, since presumably that'd mean LW would need to be profitable quickly as well).

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jwiede: Is there any reason to think such a carving out is occurring or will occur in the future? It sounds a bit like wishful thinking (and a bit like a nightmare too, since presumably that'd mean LW would need to be profitable quickly as well).

The carve-out has already happened in the form of the new LightWave group - announced in early August. It's a wholly owned division of NT - I take that to mean that it is freed from competing with the likes of Tricaster for internal resources, allowing them to have their own supporting infrastructure (sales/support) and, I would hope, their own forum as well.

When the forum turbulence started, I assumed that this was due to the LW Group freezing their sections of the forum to start fresh on the new lightwave3d.com site. I'm surprised that hasn't happened, but I think it's likely. There's no point having a separate product/resource site and then asking customers to go to a second site for the discussion forums.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by philstopford: The carve-out has already happened in the form of the new LightWave group - announced in early August. It's a wholly owned division of NT - I take that to mean that it is freed from competing with the likes of Tricaster for internal resources, allowing them to have their own supporting infrastructure (sales/support) and, I would hope, their own forum as well.

That separation is a real double-edged sword, though. I knew of the "separate division" bit, but got the impression it wasn't quite so thorough an actual separation, perhaps incorrectly. I'm actually more concerned if they're totally separated, as I see that as also meaning they can't be quite so reliant on Tricaster sales' funding anymore. I just don't get the impression LW sales have improved by any tremendous amount, and that could be a problem if they're expected to function more as a separate entity from Newtek's other product divisions.
Originally Posted by philstopford: There's no point having a separate product/resource site and then asking customers to go to a second site for the discussion forums.

OTOH, many, many companies have all their product forums lumped together even with rather disparate product lines.

09 September 2012
Angry

I can't see why they couldn't decide on the look and feel of the forum before subjecting us to this erratic scenario - very unprofessional. As you've already pointed out, to have so much useful information which is invaluable to the smaller studio, on an inaccessible forum, is a royal pain in the arse. I do rely on those forums for quite important day-to-day decisions, and there is no other way to access that information as easily.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jwiede: That separation is a real double-edged sword, though. I knew of the "separate division" bit, but got the impression it wasn't quite so thorough an actual separation, perhaps incorrectly. I'm actually more concerned if they're totally separated, as I see that as also meaning they can't be quite so reliant on Tricaster sales' funding anymore. I just don't get the impression LW sales have improved by any tremendous amount, and that could be a problem if they're expected to function more as a separate entity from Newtek's other product divisions.

Based on their highly successful SIGGRAPH event, where they even opted to tear up their schedule because of the interest in specific aspects of the LW11 package (although perhaps it was Lino's singing), I am not so sure. Very few (if any) companies release sales figures, so it's just an inference drawn from the level of interest being shown and the reporting from the event around the LW group and LW 11.

When I originally read about the separation, my initial thought was that this was preparation for spinning it off. The rest of NT's product line is all hardware (SpeedEdit is not even listed on the main site under Products), and missteps like CORE (as a product) must have impacted the wider company. As such, I wonder if the separation is setting the ground for this, with NT acting like a VC in owning the division until the circumstances are right. It worked for Luxology and they have a vibrant community, a well respected product and a focused team.

We'll see what happens. I'm feeling quite positive about LW's future, largely based on the enthusiasm and energy of the team.

Thread Closed share thread