Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
jwiede
Electron Wrangler

portfolio
John Wiederhirn
San Jose, USA

MIA forums?

Anyone heard anything about how long the Newtek forums are supposed to be down?

Seems like a good example of why storing so much "critical use info" in their forums (versus migrating it into actual LW documentation) isn't a great idea.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

Dunno, seems to have been down for a couple of days now. Maybe they're weeding it out.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
I know...
Any news?
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

Nothing so far, was still down last time I checked.
However, the front end was different, so perhaps they are having issues updating the software version?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
jwiede
Electron Wrangler

portfolio
John Wiederhirn
San Jose, USA

Possibly. When things run this far awry though, they should at least acknowledge it and reassure customers, even if it's just a one sentence "Minor delays, still working on it, back soon!". Information always beats speculation.

Last edited by jwiede : 09-07-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Vong
Veteran
portfolio
Curtis Rhoads
Video Anarchist
Rhoads Media
Pleasant Grove, USA

Send a message via MSN to Vong
This is Newtek we're talking about... We all know how good they are with handing out information!

Would be nice to see all the Lightwave discussion sections moved to their own forum over on Lightwave3D.com. Maybe that's what's happening, and it's taking them longer than they thought...

Well, I can dream...

Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
jwiede
Electron Wrangler

portfolio
John Wiederhirn
San Jose, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong
This is Newtek we're talking about... We all know how good they are with handing out information!

Explains it, but doesn't excuse it. Any time a company makes customers and even potential customers feel "uncertain" about what's going on, it harms their perceptions of the company. All these little things don't seem like much, but they add up over time to become entrenched reputation problems -- something LW can't afford esp. given its general marketshare/sales issues.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiede
Possibly. When things run this far awry though, they should at least acknowledge it and reassure customers, even if it's just a one sentence "Minor delays, still working on it, back soon!". Information always beats speculation.

Alas, history has proven a track record not to be proud of in this area.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
philstopford
Veteran
Phil Stopford
USA

Forum software upgrade. It will be up and down for a little while yet as they sort it out. It's a large forum, so upgrading is non-trivial.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Cageman
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Mikael Burman
Cinematics Artist
Massive Entertainment
Malmo, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstopford
Forum software upgrade. It will be up and down for a little while yet as they sort it out. It's a large forum, so upgrading is non-trivial.

Not only software, hardware as well... from what I heard, they had to move everything to new servers, because the old ones were getting very tired. Bugs like the one displaying more pages avaliable in a thread, but you couldn't read them, was, partly due to dying hardware as well as software. This could explain why things happened so fast without a heads up on the forums.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

I appreciate folks are more than willing to cut Newtek huge chunks of slack. However given the problems have been manifesting themselves for a not inconsiderable time and such an upgrade must have been on the cards, a little polite notice wouldn't have gone amiss.

If the knowledge was that the hardware and software was at it's limits, well, any collapse of the system could not be classed as "unexpected". We used to have a client at my old works who ran the system on the raggedy edge for a long time, but when the final crash came, they held their hands up and said "yup, our fault". As I say, these things, by their very nature, are not "a surprise", (not to say though that some software glitches don't come as a total and unwanted surprise. ).

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
spaz8
Frequenter
portfolio
Kenneth Finlayson
Lead Character Artist
Canada

Wow, still down. I saw the new white and dark forum themes for about 20 mins 2 days ago, I guess I got lucky and checked during a brief window of things working.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong

Would be nice to see all the Lightwave discussion sections moved to their own forum over on Lightwave3D.com. Maybe that's what's happening, and it's taking them longer than they thought...

Well, I can dream...

Yeah... THAT I would love to see. The more separation I see between Newtek and LW3D... the better! I doubt that will happen, but I can dream too.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
jwiede
Electron Wrangler

portfolio
John Wiederhirn
San Jose, USA

Wow, still down. This situation is starting to look a bit clustery.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Cageman
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Mikael Burman
Cinematics Artist
Massive Entertainment
Malmo, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiede
Wow, still down. This situation is starting to look a bit clustery.

Nopes... works fine for me.... what has been said about it though is that a great deal of ISPs namecache IP-adresses, and if the IP-adress change, the ISPs needs to re-sync the name with the new IP. So, in essence, NewTeks forum has a new IP-adress, but the same html adress as before. This can screw things up, depending on which ISP you are using.

Thread Closed share thread