Bouncelights effect with Gradients

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Very interesting information. Thanks for your sharing!

10 October 2004
Thanks Obi-Wan!
I appreciate your words a lot Netvudu I would really like to go to Madrid; but arrrrg! I cannot go this year. I hope to be able to go the next one
Southparx, I already sent you the file
Thanks Keddy, is advisable to try the technique with FIsLocalAmbient in the walls too, the interaction of this plug with SG_AmbOcc offers different results to LW gradients.

Gerardo

Edit: I mean Madrid

Last edited by gerardo : 10 October 2004 at 06:52 PM.

10 October 2004
pal, Art Futura doesnīt take place in Madrid. Itīs in Barcelona. Thatīs why I asked....donīt you live around there?

Last edited by Netvudu : 10 October 2004 at 01:13 AM.

10 October 2004
Yes you are right, but I have a friend that lives in Madrid (Iīm very very far). I hope to be able to go of visit, barely I have some time (I don't have vacations for 10 years )

Gerardo

10 October 2004
Nice!

Is it technically possible to use the ambient occlusion shader as a gradient input? This way the occlusion shader would have much more exciting uses..

In general, is it possibe for a plugin to act as a gradient input in lightwave??

Or is this technique already using it as gradient and I missed the whole point ?

10 October 2004
Wow, this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing such a great lighting trick!

www.stevewarner.com

10 October 2004
that is pure genious!

10 October 2004
Ya know - after all the flaming lately - it's great to see some cool threads emerging
I just found another ... Gotta love LW

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=176866 - I didn't know about this either - cool!

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by gerardo:
Southparx, I already sent you the file

Thanks, you're too kind

btw, i fail to get the spinning spotlight, do u mind to explain that a little bit in detail, please?

thanks again

10 October 2004
Steve Warner, wow! your books are Great, man! thank you for your comments.
Lazynok, thanks
Colkai, that is a nice modeling trick
Southparxs, the principle behind the spinning spotlight is that the light moves from one side to other and up to down (with intensity falloff). The horizontal motion softens the lateral shadows in the extreme of the objects; and the vertical motion softens the shadows according to the distance of the objects, this effect is reinforced by intensity falloff. OC_Window of Ekki Halkka (Plugpak) offers a better rig for this, since you have two lights, each one for each motion. In my example I made this in the more simplest way possible. You can download the spinning spotlight scene here
http://www.geocities.com/gerardstrada/G-room.zip
Hesido, you are a genius! Trying to respond your intelligent question, I thought that SurfMixer can make what you say, so I made a quick test with 2 Surfmixer, gradients and 2 Nulls. (see attachment)
The weird thing: SG_Ambocc together with SurfMixer works with some objects, but not with others and I still am not able to discover which is the reason. Actually my biggest requirement for the SG_Ambocc of Skidbladnir is the possibility to work with textures (like Docuwildīs plug-in); this lack can be resolved with SurfMixer (thank you for that question!) but I think that it would be more stable if Skidbladnir could add this feature to his fabulous shader.

Gerardo

Last edited by gerardo : 10 October 2004 at 10:46 PM.

10 October 2004
Some bloody neat tricks in this thread, and it gives me some neat ideas on how to fake lights behind fabric or lightshades.

I gotta ask, though: is it worth it?

I mean, you have to do some radiosity rendering anyway to find out what the lighting should be, and it seems like some pretty hefty setup time to get all the gradients and nulls setup right. Then if something changes, you have to go back and revise your elaborate ruse.

I guess I'm asking what the benefit is to using this method, instead of baking your lighting or just using Fprime? The render seems pretty bloody fast, but you add a lot of setup time into the mix.

10 October 2004
mmm...lemme see
to set up the keylight and basic gradients for room scene took me a couple of hours ; then I invested some daily minutes in refining it (I didn't dedicate it a lot of time since it was just a test), in total will have been around 3 hours. After that, the render time per frame at 640 x 480 were 7min 46sec, The same thing, with Radiosity (tests with F-Prime and LW) took between 4 and 7 hours per frame. If we added the time of baking illumination in textures, is more time; if we also want to animate the objects in the interior, we would have to bake the illumination in every frame in that the object moves; with this technique the null should simply follow this object to achieve a realistic effect.
For the room scene I didn't use any reference, I only calculated: the light hits here... and then rebound here... and so on; trying to achieve an agreeable aspect visually, but maybe not mathematically accurate (at the end of the day, this is the work, that the viewer perceives the image like real, what doesn't mean that you should copy it exactly, is a matter of perception)
At least for me, the technique is not excluding, you can use it with baked textures, F-Prime, spinning lights, radiosity, mixed techniques; is only an additional solution to simulate GI. If is viable for a specific scene; why not use it? For interior scenes I find it most versatile than to fill my scene with pointlights, spotlights or arealights that simulate bounce lights, since I can define the form in which the gradient will influence a surface and I can optimize the number of nulls so that the same effect is achieved by less nulls than bounce lights.
I think that the best thing you can do is to test it and to determine in what cases is viable for you and in what cases you prefer to use it, not use it, use other techniques or complement it.

Gerardo

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by gerardo:
I think that the best thing you can do is to test it and to determine in what cases is viable for you and in what cases you prefer to use it, not use it, use other techniques or complement it.
Gerardo

Wise words, and not just for this technique as well.
Sometimes it's better to look at things from a different perspective, after all, this is how the famous Spinning Light trick first came about.

10 October 2004
@gerardo: Let's just hope we'll have that gradient input feature in the future :=)

Actually I haven't rendered or modeled a single thing for months, I am beginning to forget all. :( These topics get me back on my feet tho, thanks.

10 October 2004

You rock Gerardo!

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Thread Closed share thread