NewTek - a courtesy LW8 update

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2003
NewTek - a courtesy LW8 update

I have paid for the DFX LW8 upgrade, so how about a courtesy update on the release of version 8? Thank you ahead of the response-Mark

12 December 2003
Gotta say, I feel the same way. This close to release, how about a complete list of what I paid for?

12 December 2003
ditto

12 December 2003
I heard that Lw will ship before 2004, I got this info from a mag I was reading, I think it was 3d World. Apparantly it came from Newtek. Anyone care to validate this I hate to spread rumors.

12 December 2003
I can't believe that this close to release (hopefully at least) that they wouldn't have updated the LW[8] preview page on there site. It's been the same page for MONTHS with no changes AT ALL. I am waiting to see exactly what I am getting before I go buying it. No sense paying $400-500 for an upgrade that I know virtually nothing about. Glad you guys/gals are brave enough to do it though.

12 December 2003
I have that issue of 3D World, and it does very clearly say that they'll get it done 'pre-2004'. It was to the tune of "Lightwave has slipped deadlines before, it wont happen this time." However, that's not a contract of any sorts that they have to commmit to.

I'm a little annoyed that I'm out $500 and still don't know what all I'm getting. It's not very often I spend that much money on a leap of faith. I hope Newtek'll keep this in mind next time around.

I wish I could just sign an NDA and hear everything about it.

12 December 2003
Well, I think we already know what we're going to have, it was clearly stated. The question is : Will this greatly work ?

12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Facial Deluxe
Well, I think we already know what we're going to have, it was clearly stated. The question is : Will this greatly work ?

Newtek has dropped some not so subtle hints that there are things we don't know about it yet. I'd be a lot more content if they'd just say "Yep, that's all there is to this one."

As for your other question, I suspect it'll be obnoxious, unstable, and some things will need to be modified. I predict plugins won't work and it'll crash in odd scenarios. In about 3 months, everybody'll be used to LW8 and sing its praises. About then, a b patch will be released and new doors will open up.

Who's with me?

12 December 2003
Quote: No sense paying $400-500 for an upgrade that I know virtually nothing about.
Read this. http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthr...&threadid=14725 That's virtually everything that's going to be in Lightwave 8. And since Lightwave is virtually almost out you might consider getting the upgrade now because you can get DFX+ virtually for free and that deal will end when Lightwave 8 is shipped.

12 December 2003
ditto nanogator

but still I 'd like to get my mits on LW8

as said before I have NEVER EVER given so much money for something I don't know exactly what it will contain. I hope NT doesn't forget....

website

12 December 2003
Does it usually work this way? For past versions of LW? It seems very weird that there isn't any update.

Are they just scrambling to get stuff in by a certain date and whatever doesn't make it, gets appended in an update?

12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by takkun
Read this. http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthr...&threadid=14725 That's virtually everything that's going to be in Lightwave 8. And since Lightwave is virtually almost out you might consider getting the upgrade now because you can get DFX+ virtually for free and that deal will end when Lightwave 8 is shipped.

I got all that, plus a subscription to Keyframe!

(though I haven't recieved any yet...)

12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Facial Deluxe

Folks, hang in their okay...everyone at NewTek is working VERY hard to get LW 8 out the door. Proton has actually worked himself so hard he is sick...literally. They made him stay home today.

LW 8 will be the best release yet of the software. Hang in their okay...support NewTek on this alright

I know you all have money invested and don't you want NewTek to release the best product they possibly can for that.

Hang in their...be patient.

Author, LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks
My NewTek Profile

12 December 2003
Sorry to hear about Proton. :/

Just to be clear, I'm not moaning and groaning about when I get it in my hot little hands. I'm not worried about that. If they delay it until January, that's perfectly okay. I want working software. What I'm moaning and groaning about is I want clearer disclosure about what all will be included with the upgrade. LIft some of the secrecy, ya know? Info's all I'm interested in. Heck, send me a draft of the manual. :P

Heh. Seriously tho, even if all I get is "yep, that's all the features we're implementing", that'd be cool. It's just they've given the impression that there are still suprises.

12 December 2003
kudos to NT for working this hard.

get better soon, Proton.

Any chance to just update that page on the LW8 features though.

You could even put it on a 'sercret' link and just tell me about it.

Honestly, I wouldn't tell anyone....

website

Thread Closed share thread