Races of Middle Earth-character-wildsheepchase

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2003
Very nice, Wildsheepchase, I like the slightly stylised... err...style.
I also rather like the costume design of your character, it fits very well.
Keep up the good work.

01 January 2003
Great image! The colors and composition really come together nicely.

I just have a few comments:

1. is the character wet or dry? If he just came out of the water, maybe you could push the specular highlights a bit more to make him look more drippy. Also, water dripping off of him could disturb/discolor the sand where he's walked.

2. I think the footprints need to be darker, they read as shadows.

3. I think you could vary the shading a bit more so that the parts of his body that are closer to the light source are brighter. Right now I think the arms and legs are too close in terms of brightness, which flattens the form a bit.

Just minor nitpicks. Excellent work!

01 January 2003
Culann: Thanks!

Jake: Thanks for the crit! I was kind of thinking the same thing about the footprints and sand. I hadn't really thought to much about whether he was wet or dry, though it would make more sense if he was wet...I'll see what I can do about that. I'll also see if I can push the contrast even a bit more on the legs and arms. Thanks again

I'll be posting an update later this evening! Thanks y'all

01 January 2003
Ugh! I had to quit working on this tonight because of a hand cramp. I think I'm getting pretty close to being finished, unless someone has any major suggestions.

I'm still not completely satisfied with his fishing rod and a few other minor things...so, there probably is still another update or two.
Crits anyone?

01 January 2003
Well WSC, I think it looks great. You've got all these little details in his clothing that add to an image that I always forget. I have one small crit that might improve this.

check this image:

See how where the light hits, the eye is darkened with a hotspot, and the light reflects through to the other side? Thats what I think you should do to his eye in the light to give it more life. More umphf! that isn't the greatest image, but it gives you an idea that you can go and observe for yourself.

Cheers!

01 January 2003
Thanks Gamoron...I'll see what I can do about that

01 January 2003
Wow...amazing. The details are pushing the image to the top. Just do the little thingy Gamoron told ya. Thats the last izzibizzy detail missing.
Great Job

Tom

01 January 2003
Another update:

I tried to fix the eye, but I'm not sure I understood the crit exactly. I added a little bit of a warm patch at the outer left rim...is that what you had in mind, Gamoron?
I also added some detail to the hair, fishing rod, and some other stuff.
Thanks for all the help everyone!

01 January 2003
I like it
I dunno if it's the jpeg but The pic intends to be a bit blurrish coloring wise in some parts but that's prolly just a matter of taste.

Skorépka!

01 January 2003
very nice!!

good to see you have your own unique style. I was just looking over your thread, and saw your last picture. I know all artists are different based on how they see their own art, so dont listen to me if you dont want to. I think though that the whole piece seems a little flat, not towards art, but in color, meaning not enough lights and darks are affecting the image. I run into this a lot for lighting is difficult to capture in art. My only suggestions are to do the basic hue and saturation in photoshop to change the color scheme a little and so the clothe stands out a little more, then mess with the brightness and contrast a little. And maybe do a spotlight coming from the sun to the right to give the clouds on the upper left a feeling of shadowing the character, meaning more darker in the left, lighter on the right. Your piece is fantastic, thats why I thought I could maybe help out and see if anything I said can make it even better. Great job all around..

theSEL

01 January 2003
I tried boosting the saturation and contrast...

I'll let you guys tell me if this is an improvement. I've stared at it so long that I don't know anymore :insane:
Thanks for the comments thesel and royal

01 January 2003
Just Perfect!!!!!!!!!

May ya send me a high res Jpeg at my email adress:

tommy.lee@chello.at

That would be nice, want it as Wallpaper

Cheerz

Tom

01 January 2003
Thumbs down fantastico!

Looks so much better and the character stands out so much more, I got DSL, so was able to go forwards and back really fast to see the difference. You nailed it right on! Great piece! Now you have about 30 more days to make the dust particles in the air, and strans of hair, one by one.. HAHA.. I dont know how much more detailed you want to get, but either or, if you stop now, youve got a great composition.

theSEL

P.S. Oh, forgot to tell you, another idea that you could add to the piece could be minor scales on his body and face, showing hes a sea creature.. a thought!

01 January 2003
Thanks a ton, guys!
Tommy: The pic is in the mail
Thesel: Thanks for the help. Like you said, I have another whole month to nitpick at the details, so there may be some more updates on the way.

01 January 2003
Thanks for the pic!

About the details: Less is More!!!!!

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

share thread