Ty Ferrell - Sketching WIPs and Studies

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
Ty Ferrell - Sketching WIPs and Studies

Currently I am enrolled in CGMA Next Gen Character Creation with Adam Skutt. Building it right from the start and realism are the big pushes so far. Here's my WIP of my interpretation of Stephen King's Roland Gunslinger from his Dark Tower series:

C and C always welcomed

03 March 2018
This is pretty exceptional for week 5 and a wip. Keep the effort going you put in thus far and this will get you a good 2 to 3 years of personal promotion amd growth. Glad to see you posting!

03 March 2018
Hi Travis - thanks to checking out the start of my sketchbook and the motivating words!

03 March 2018

The bust for this character is at a nice place for me to begin tackling the other parts of the model. Right now I'm working on the arms. CandC welcomed:

03 March 2018
More work on the hands:

03 March 2018
Just getting started on retoping the bust. I'm not thrilled with the flow around the lower eye cheek area. I'll have to redirect the flow to get a good deformation there. I'm using 3D coat

04 April 2018
After about 4 attempts I have a decent retop mesh to work with

05 May 2018
Keep us updated on this one!

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by Travis: Keep us updated on this one!
Thanks for checking in! I thought I did but I see I didn't

The class was great. Lot's of information to absorb and use. I am hoping to complete this personal work. Hopefully it doesn't end up in my personal work limbo folder

Here's where I am so far

I started with Fibermesh for hair curves and then had to change to hair planes.... software issue

Polypainted in Zbrush

I took a crack at using Unreal Engine. The hair just did not come out right. I'll have to try this again

Highpoly arm sculpts. I plan to complete the whole character

05 May 2018

This is a beauty shot using Keyshot as the renderer

06 June 2018
Looking good

06 June 2018
checking in to see if you have updates ty

06 June 2018
Thanks Travis! I will be back on the Gunslinger soon!

06 June 2018
I am starting to get the hang of Unreal Engine rendering. I reset my UNreal project and went back through loading the mesh and maps. Here's where I am so far. The hair is a bit frustrating, Hair cards are not as simple as I thought to realisitcally light in UE4

06 June 2018
This week I critiqued the bust and begin tweaking. I'll show the update next week I think. Still in the learning mode for UE4.

reply share thread