Generators And Selection Tags

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2011
Generators And Selection Tags

I've been experimenting some more with generators and Selection Tags.

As well as working on polygon primitives, Selection Tags can be used on all NURBS generators apart from HyperNURBS. They work in the Selection field of Cloners in Object mode, so the distribution of clones onto these generators can be controlled with Selection Tags.

This screencast shows how to apply a Selection Tag to a primitive, in this case for use in a Texture Tag.

It sounds like nux95's XPresso nodes will do this and more, but maybe someone will find this trick useful.

06 June 2011
It's a pretty cool effect. One weird (but cool in some situations) effect is if you do this and then change the subdivisions of the primitive object. could be interesting for abstract animations where you want a pretty random result : )

Cheers,
Brian

06 June 2011
Yes, I think with a bit of planning some interesting effects could be created.

Here's an experiment along similar lines animating the Intermediate Points number on the path spline of a Sweep NURBS, which is the reference object for a Cloner. In this case, the same sort of thing could be done with a Spline Wrap but it suggests other possibilities.

06 June 2011
Cool, nice effect.

Cheers,
Brian

07 July 2011
this is one of those clever little tricks you don't really have any use for,
but you just know they will save your butt one day.

had already forgotten i had seen this last month,
but now it kicked in.

great stuff.

07 July 2011
JeremyW posted an interesting vid tutorial a few years ago, using this selection tag transfer technique on a sweep nurbs and the extrude object to build up procedural branching blood vessels. Doubt anyone still has the link but might be worth digging up if possible.

07 July 2011
Thanks douwe and Joel.

I'm sure this behavior has many potential uses. I'd be very interested to see Jeremy's tutorial and any other applications which may have been discovered.

07 July 2011
Found it--from 2007

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=522198

Jeremy's vid link near the bottom

Thanks Jeremy

07 July 2011
thanks for digging that up, joel.

(it's incredible how many hidden treasures from the olden days are buried deep in the archives here, waiting to be dug up and rediscovered by the generation that wasn't around yet back then)

d

07 July 2011
Thanks for the memories Joel! Those were such heady days.

As I recall, that ability to use virtual selections on parametrics got killed from R8 to R9.
I cannot get it to work with R12.043 on a mac.

Can anyone?

http://www.biovisioning.com/movies/...Parametric2.mov

Last edited by JeremyW : 07 July 2011 at 05:50 PM.

07 July 2011
Hi Jeremy
It's working for me in R12.048 on a mac.
Just looked at your video and it seems that now you have to drag the selection tag onto the target object in the object manager rather than just moving it up (if you see what I mean).

cheers

07 July 2011
Originally Posted by JeremyW: Can anyone?

works perfectly fine here on 12.048 / win7.
that's why i'm so ecstatic about these dormant treasures.

d

EDIT : (as sockgardener mentioned : i dragged the selection tag onto the object as well, like i saw darter do in the first video of this topic. )

Last edited by douwe : 07 July 2011 at 07:04 PM.

07 July 2011
That's gnarly that this function varies from version to version, platform to platform.
Back when this first got broken in R9, I contacted Maxon about it. I was told that it is a "non-feature", or words to that effect. That fact that it worked at all was a mistake and was not something they were interested in supporting.

Perhaps if we can demonstrate enough interest, and some samples of why this would be useful, it might get elevated to an actual feature.

Doesn't matter where or how I drag the selection tag. Still no joy.

Last edited by JeremyW : 07 July 2011 at 07:10 PM.

07 July 2011
Originally Posted by JeremyW: Perhaps if we can demonstrate enough interest, and some samples of why this would be useful, it might get elevated to an actual feature.

I think your video is a great example of a practical use for this already. It would definitely be good to see it directly implemented.

Originally Posted by JeremyW: Doesn't matter where or how I drag the selection tag. Still no joy.

The example file in my second post in this thread was created with 12.048 under OS X 10.6. Does this work?

07 July 2011
Originally Posted by SockGardener: Hi Jeremy
It's working for me in R12.048 on a mac.
Just looked at your video and it seems that now you have to drag the selection tag onto the target object in the object manager rather than just moving it up (if you see what I mean).

cheers

I'm actually making a blood vessel network as we speak and this would be extremely useful at the moment. I'm using 12.048 on a Mac and it's extruding from the first polygon instead of the selection tag. I'm not sure what you mean about dragging the selection tag to the target object, that appears to be what Jeremy is doing in his video. Can you clarify exactly what you're doing to get it to work?

Thanks!

T
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Thread Closed share thread