CINEMA 4D and graphics drivers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2010   #16
Originally Posted by wonky: Will the crash reporter work with this sort of issue?
It takes down my whole machine and forces me to hard-reset

If you have crash - as you said with dragging materials, etc - and that isn't a crash, where the OS kernel or the driver crashes very hard, you should get a crashreport message when starting Cinema the next time, allowing you to send a bugreport.

If you experience a (very hard) crash in the OS kernel or gfx driver, usually OS X should display an error message on reboot; allowing you to send this crashreport for further analysis to Apple.

If you experience a driver freeze (system doesn't respond, e.g. because the gfx card hardware is too slow to fulfill the task in time), you won't get a crashreport, as technically nothing was crashing. Try switching off GL, if it looks like you're dealing with a driver freeze.

Best regards,

wbj

Last edited by wbj : 09 September 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Old 09 September 2010   #17
try soon

I will try a scene I know crashes shortly without open gl and see what happens, I will post my result later.
thanks

Old 09 September 2010   #18
Finally found the problem.

will post in the main board as this is bound to affect somebody else...
anti alias lines in the viewport took down my entire machine everytime, even at very low settings.

I have always had this on a little since the dawn of time, seems I will have to live without it now.

Old 09 September 2010   #19
Just an addition to the original message.
Please don't use Beta drivers, after outdated drivers they are the second most frequent driver crashes that are beeing reported.
Please always and only use WHQL certified Drivers

Cheers
Björn

Old 09 September 2010   #20
Yep, I tested the R12 Demo with a 8800GTX and the 258.96 WHQL driver. the Combination is giving me the troubles. Waiting patiently for the update

Old 09 September 2010   #21
Yes, sadly using the latest WHQL drivers is no guarantee that all will work fine, it just increases the chances a lot.
Cheers
Björn

Old 09 September 2010   #22
This advice only relates to Windows, right? Mac users should patiently wait for Apple to update drivers os do we also have to take action?

I upgraded my MacPro 2008 a few days ago from 8800 GT to 5770 and that works great. Only new phenomenon with R12 (with both the 8800 and the 5770) is that with startup of C4D or switching to a different scene there is a ghost image of my desktop or a recently opened website or document in the C4D viewport. It dissappears in a few seconds. So no big deal, but I never experienced this in R11.5. OSX 10.6.4

Is this a known issue, or should I report?

Old 09 September 2010   #23
Originally Posted by ooo: This advice only relates to Windows, right? Mac users should patiently wait for Apple to update drivers os do we also have to take action?

Correct, Apple will deliver driver updates with OS X fixes/updates automatically.
Cheers
Björn

Old 09 September 2010   #24
Thanks Srek!

Originally Posted by wonky: Having terrible issues with R12 and crashes doing the most basic of tasks, dragging sla materials, mograph cloning etc.
I have reinstalled c4d twice (deleted all prefs etc) and thought the issue went away but no...
I get the spinning beach-ball of death which takes down my whole machine and does not allow me to force quit. Hate having to pull the plug on a running system.
I can replicate this problem every time and have tested on another friends machine who has no issues with the file at all. He does however have a different mac configuration.
Am I right in thinking that mac users have no choice when it comes to drivers if the card is non-retail?

ATY,RadeonX1900 - OSX 10.6.4 - 3GHzquad core - 32Gb Ram

Maybe this fix will help you?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/27...x1900-xt-issue/

Old 09 September 2010   #25
Just a small update: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...258#post6709258

Does anyone else experience this on a GTX470 too?

Best regards,

Marius

Old 10 October 2010   #26
ops that's was happening to me from couple days , I got new Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT
and i stopped have this crashes even the big crash it was when i put an background on the view port

now everything is going cool

thanks allah

Cheers,
Tarek

Old 10 October 2010   #27
Nvidia released a new Driver for their products: http://www.nvidia.de/object/win7-wi...-driver-de.html

It mentions iprovements for OGL3.3 for the 8 series, maybe this solvs the problem. I'm not able to test it on my system, I will be on it this evening though.

Maybe someone can have a look into it before.

Good Luck!

Marius

Old 10 October 2010   #28
Well ok, I installed the driver, but sadly there is no improvement. R11.5 is still at 90fpscompared to 7fps in R12, no matter what setting combination. I reported this to the Maxon Support. :/

Old 10 October 2010   #29
Originally Posted by mp-grafix: Well ok, I installed the driver, but sadly there is no improvement. R11.5 is still at 90fpscompared to 7fps in R12, no matter what setting combination. I reported this to the Maxon Support. :/

Marius I honestly don't get it in the original thread you were told it is a known issue, so why are you expecting it to be fixed when there hasn't been an update released yet. Wait for an update to be released, then try it out. Until then just accept that your file is slow. Drivers are not the issue it is a known issue with the software.

Old 10 October 2010   #30
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: Marius I honestly don't get it in the original thread you were told it is a known issue, so why are you expecting it to be fixed when there hasn't been an update released yet. Wait for an update to be released, then try it out. Until then just accept that your file is slow. Drivers are not the issue it is a known issue with the software.

Yeah you are right, I was hoping on the Nvidia driver because some feedback from Maxon was, that it seems more likely to be a problem with the chipset of the 8800GTX than with the actual application - but they weren't sure then. I just gave them feedback how the performance is right now with this new driver, and that it seems to be really an issue in the current version of C4D.
I'm waiting for an updated Demo.

Best regards,

Marius

Thread Closed share thread