CINEMA 4D and graphics drivers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09 September 2010   #1
Exclamation CINEMA 4D and graphics drivers

Hi all,
please use the latest WHQL certified drivers from AMD and Nvidia if you want to run CINEMA 4D R12.
Here at Maxon we are receiving quite a lot crash reports that are caused by old, faulty drivers and can be prevented with a simple driver update

Cheers
Björn
__________________
- www.bonkers.de -
The views expressed on this post are my personal opinions and do not represent the views of my employer.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #2
Björn Thanks about this , really useful thread

Cheers,
Tarek
__________________
www.Arab4D.net Our Arabia Cinema 4d Forums
Facebook Cinema 4d users page
 
Old 09 September 2010   #3
i can tell, that the newest ati driver did not work for my mobility radeon 4650 but an older one did...

steppes
__________________
www.oliver-hecke.de
 
Old 09 September 2010   #4
mmm...

I got the latest oficial Nvidia drivers, but when I enable "Shadows" in Enhanced OpenGL , i get "Your hardware configuration does not meet ...."

In 11.5 i can enable shadows without problems!!!

I have 8800 GTS

Any solution? Maybe its a drivers problem?
 
Old 09 September 2010   #5
Originally Posted by maxhunter: I got the latest oficial Nvidia drivers, but when I enable "Shadows" in Enhanced OpenGL , i get "Your hardware configuration does not meet ...."

In 11.5 i can enable shadows without problems!!!

I have 8800 GTS

Any solution? Maybe its a drivers problem?


As mentioned before I also have an extreme slow viewport with a 8800GTX and newest driver.
It is a bug in R12, we'll have to wait for an update.
__________________
Diplom Digital Artist
www.mp-grafix.de
www.filmakademie.de
 
Old 09 September 2010   #6
Originally Posted by mp-grafix: As mentioned before I also have an extreme slow viewport with a 8800GTX and newest driver.
It is a bug in R12, we'll have to wait for an update.

similar situation


Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Geforce 8800 GTX
258.96 WHQL for Windows 7 64-bit
 
Old 09 September 2010   #7
This is under investigation, but currently it seems that it is realy limited to 8800 and derived GPUs and might be a problem of the hardware.

Cheers
Björn
__________________
- www.bonkers.de -
The views expressed on this post are my personal opinions and do not represent the views of my employer.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #8
Originally Posted by Srek: This is under investigation, but currently it seems that it is realy limited to 8800 and derived GPUs and might be a problem of the hardware.

Cheers
Björn


Please no :O That would be absolutely horrible, but the Problem can also be observed with the Quadro4600 FX... are these GFX cards related somehow? Will there be a confirmed list, which GFX cards are supported fully then? I can't afford to buy a new GFX card _and_ R12 :(
At least I would like to be able to switch back the OGL mode to 11.5 to at least have the old performance, which is 10 times faster...
__________________
Diplom Digital Artist
www.mp-grafix.de
www.filmakademie.de
 
Old 09 September 2010   #9
Maybe this help you to find the problem:
Im using 8800 GTS, and the only "recent" driver that have no problems on cinema is the version: 197.13

Since that old driver version all have some kind of crash problem, when changing viewports, etc, at some point it crash and i have to enter in software mode or else it crashes after the loading screen.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #10
The Quadro FX 4600 uses the same G80 GPU as several of the GF8800 GTS/GTX series cards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar..._units#Qua dro
This still might be a coincidence though.

Cheers
Björn
__________________
- www.bonkers.de -
The views expressed on this post are my personal opinions and do not represent the views of my employer.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #11
Originally Posted by Srek: The Quadro FX 4600 uses the same G80 GPU as several of the GF8800 GTS/GTX series cards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar..._units#Qua dro
This still might be a coincidence though.

Cheers
Björn


Ah, interesting! Thanks for the clue, srek. That might explain it... still not nice :/ Just out of curiosity: is there any feedback from the Maxon-Developers back to Nvidia to their drivers dept.? If so, maybe it would be solved in some version of the gfx card's driver...

Best regards,

Marius
__________________
Diplom Digital Artist
www.mp-grafix.de
www.filmakademie.de

Last edited by mp-grafix : 09 September 2010 at 06:15 AM.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #12
We are in contact with Nvidia and AMD since many years.
Cheers
Björn
__________________
- www.bonkers.de -
The views expressed on this post are my personal opinions and do not represent the views of my employer.
 
Old 09 September 2010   #13
Unhappy Drivers in OSX?

Having terrible issues with R12 and crashes doing the most basic of tasks, dragging sla materials, mograph cloning etc.
I have reinstalled c4d twice (deleted all prefs etc) and thought the issue went away but no...
I get the spinning beach-ball of death which takes down my whole machine and does not allow me to force quit. Hate having to pull the plug on a running system.
I can replicate this problem every time and have tested on another friends machine who has no issues with the file at all. He does however have a different mac configuration.
Am I right in thinking that mac users have no choice when it comes to drivers if the card is non-retail?

ATY,RadeonX1900 - OSX 10.6.4 - 3GHzquad core - 32Gb Ram
 
Old 09 September 2010   #14
Originally Posted by wonky: Having terrible issues with R12 and crashes doing the most basic of tasks, dragging sla materials, mograph cloning etc.
I have reinstalled c4d twice (deleted all prefs etc) and thought the issue went away but no...
I get the spinning beach-ball of death which takes down my whole machine and does not allow me to force quit. Hate having to pull the plug on a running system.
I can replicate this problem every time and have tested on another friends machine who has no issues with the file at all. He does however have a different mac configuration.
Am I right in thinking that mac users have no choice when it comes to drivers if the card is non-retail?

ATY,RadeonX1900 - OSX 10.6.4 - 3GHzquad core - 32Gb Ram


First of all, if you have a crash, please use the crashreporter to send the information to Maxon. So far there have been no crashes of your gfx card recorded for r12.

Generally your gfx card is quite old (e.g. you won't be able to run CineBench r11.5 on it, as the hardware doesn't support the necessary GL features and even it would, it would be too slow) and therefore it might be a good idea, to look for a newer card anyway (e.g. ATI 3870, 4870 or 5770).

Best regards,

wbj
 
Old 09 September 2010   #15
Crash Reporter

Will the crash reporter work with this sort of issue?
It takes down my whole machine and forces me to hard-reset
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.