customizing C4D for a modeler

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
customizing C4D for a modeler

Hi all,

I'm a long time 3D modeler and I'm trying to switch to Cinema 4D for most tasks. I'm a couple of weeks in and I love it. I just need some help with customizations.

I've made a custom modeling palette with all the tools I need for character/creature/organic modeling. Is it possible to make an icon for Knife/Loop and Knife Line so I don't have to switch them in the Knife options. And then assign a short cut would help.

Also, there are a set of basic polygon meshes that I use with symmetry already on and already in a hypernurb tag. I have to load these from via File>load. Can I add them to the palette or one of the drop downs as Icons? I'm used to making the icons so it's just how I add them (I'm fine with shelves/scripts in Maya and adding icons to the interface in Silo so I'm hoping it's easy)

Sorry if this is really basic but I am enjoying modeling in C4D so much and these tiny things will speed me up a lot.

Glen
http://www.southerngfx.co.uk
http://twitter.com/southerngfx

Old 11 November 2009   #2
Here's a linky to Fluffy's tut on making custom tool scripts:

http://fluffy4d.com/?p=79

Also, check out the OLX plugin from Biomekk.com (like the old object library... but oh so much more) it's free and awesome. If you want icons of the objects, you can use the inbuilt content browser. Just make a new preset library and start dragging your objects in. That way you can drag em' back out into your OM whenever you need em'.

Also, you can take a palette full of commands and collapse it into a single, expandable icon (like the standard object and generator icons) by right clicking on a palette. Many people will create multiple versions of the top/main palette and tab them for individual tasks (modeling, hair, mograph, character, etc.).

head on over to c4dcafe.com, 3dKiwi has a tut on all the ways to customize the interface... as well as a multitude of useful tuts covering almost the entire app

glad you're lovin' c4d

kvb

Old 11 November 2009   #3
Hi Glenn,

Glad to see you over here and liking Cinema 4D.

Quote: I've made a custom modeling palette with all the tools I need for character/creature/organic modeling. Is it possible to make an icon for Knife/Loop and Knife Line so I don't have to switch them in the Knife options. And then assign a short cut would help.

This is possible with scripts. have a look at the script editor. A script for Knife in Line mode looks like this:

CallCommand(ID_MODELING_KNIFE_TOOL);
 tool()#MDATA_KNIFE_MODE = MDATA_KNIFE_MODE_SINGLE;

Hole Mode:

tool()#MDATA_KNIFE_MODE = MDATA_KNIFE_MODE_MULTI;

Plane mode:

tool()#MDATA_KNIFE_MODE = MDATA_KNIFE_MODE_PLANE;

Loop Mode:

tool()#MDATA_KNIFE_MODE = MDATA_KNIFE_MODE_LOOP;

Path mode:

tool()#MDATA_KNIFE_MODE = MDATA_KNIFE_MODE_PLANE;

You can change the icons of scripts. The script icons can be arranged in palettes. Check also the Command manager where you find all Cinema 4D command and scripts. They can be dragged from there into palettes.

cheers,
Matthias

Old 11 November 2009   #4
you don't even need to write your own scripts any more just set the tool settings as you like, select all the knife settings right click and choose create script, add in the call command which is easy using the script log to copy and paste from, then use the load icon to replace the icon with your own.

Old 11 November 2009   #5
is that an 11.5 only change Kai?

Old 11 November 2009   #6
You can access files via scripting easily enough, though have you tried the C4D browser yet? It can be customized quite well and docked in the interface for use as an instant access to presets, complete with "Single Click" opening to act just like an icon (and you can hide away everything but the file icons in it's interface too), I'd recommend this as a first stop for presets before heading to scripting.

The script log does exist in C4D, but not like in Maya/XSI, it's much more rudimentary and is hidden away, you can access it via the Command Manager.

COFFEE mysteriously doesn't have it's own merge call (though not hard to add to COFFEE), you could possibly do the following sort of thing, although it might be bad on memory handling in undo situations, would ahve to check up on that.

MergeDocuments(newdoc, doc)
 {
 	var op = newdoc->GetFirstObject(), nextop;

while (op)
 	{
 		nextop = op->GetNext();

op->Remove();
 		doc->InsertObject(op, NULL, NULL);

op = nextop;
 	}

op = newdoc->GetFirstMaterial();
 	while (op)
 	{
 		nextop = op->GetNext();

op->Remove();
 		doc->InsertMaterial(op);

op = nextop;
 	}
 }

main(doc, op)
 {
 	var fn = new(Filename);
 	fn->SetFullString("c:/mypath/myfile.c4d");

LoadDocument(fn);

var newdoc = GetActiveDocument();

MergeDocuments(newdoc, doc);

KillDocument(newdoc);
 }

Don't forget there's also Python via the (currently free) Py4D plugin.

Old 11 November 2009   #7
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: you don't even need to write your own scripts any more just set the tool settings as you like, select all the knife settings right click and choose create script, add in the call command which is easy using the script log to copy and paste from, then use the load icon to replace the icon with your own.

WTF, why am I just learning this now?

@Joe-It came in 11 it seems. I see it in 11.027 but not 10.506.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
to all following - i started creating some icons for all these today. a little side tracked - but will post when i have em done.

Old 11 November 2009   #9
Thank you, thank you thank you!. Massive help all round. I've got my head round how to make the scripts and icons now and it works like a dream. I have most of my tools setup in a format I'm used to and made all the tool option selection a lot faster. I still need to get some mouse customistation sorted and then get an idea how to get my own objects onto the top menu and I'm happy.

Old 11 November 2009   #10
Hey Glen,

what do you mean by your own objects on the top menu?

Old 11 November 2009   #11
SO I have a range of files which are basic objects/meshes/scenes in various states eg.

1. A file with hypernurb tag>with symmetry>half cube and certain cuts ready for human head>with a skin material tag
2. A file with hypernurb tag>with symmetry>half cube and certain cuts ready for canine head
3. A file with hypernurb tag>with symmetry>half a basic quadruped

etc etc...

I'd like a drop down with about 15-20 of my most commonly used basic files/scenes that are setup ready to go. Like the primitive dropdown at the top. In Silo I have all my own base models set to a rightclick>create custom>my files.

I tried things along the lines of:

CallCommand(12095); // Open

and trying to tell it a file pth and filename but I've failed so far. Giving it my own icons was no problem

I may not have described it very well or there may be a very simple way of doing it. Everything else I've asked has been a few clicks away. It's so damn configurable I'm
amazed.

I think Kai twittered that he would show me later.

However, as Pers says above I wonder if I can get used to just using the content browser instead getting that to work in a similar way to save the hassle and screen real estate.

Once again, thanks for the support all. Can't fault the community spirit so far.

Last edited by southern : 11 November 2009 at 01:23 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #12
that's easily doable with c4d. you can place things into your library and they load in with c4d.

but i will let a power user explain the process - as i really don't utilize this

joe

Old 11 November 2009   #13
I think there was a way to display object presets in menus, as we used to have before, but I can't find the way to do it anymore. This has been removed to allow asset management through the content browser (which is much more versatile), but can still be done. Kai knows that one, I think.

Anyway, you can also customize all the menus as you wish, just open the Menu Manager and rearrange anything you want there. The nice thing is to be able to edit the global popup ("V" shortcut) to place there any command/menus you wish.
Personally, I assign the global popup to one of my mouse buttons, which makes access to commands I use frequently a breeze (or at least, the ones without an assigned shortcut, since nothing beats a shortcut when it comes to speed).

Old 11 November 2009   #14
As kvb mentioned above, try OLX. It's easy to set up and manage various often used files and objects.

http://www.biomekk.com/index.php?page=2&cat=107&itm=13

Old 11 November 2009   #15
Originally Posted by xfon5168: WTF, why am I just learning this now?

@Joe-It came in 11 it seems. I see it in 11.027 but not 10.506.

jeez bret you guys are in the same office everyday...isn't that stuff supposed to be transmitted through osmosis?

I wouldn't feel bad...I've been using cinema for 9-10 years? and I know 3 shortcuts ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl+

also welcome glen nice to see another big name in modeling jumping ship to cinema.

Last edited by chi : 11 November 2009 at 02:13 AM.

Thread Closed share thread