R 11.5 Test Renders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Horganovski: One thing with MoDynamics I can't seem to figure out.

How do you make an animated object, that's not effected by the dynamics trigger a collision when it collides with a dynamic cloned group of clones? In Silverbullet you just enable the 'start sleeping' parameter for the dynamic objects, and then when the animated object collides with them the dynamics kick in. With modynamics I can only get it to work if I put the animated object under a cloner and animate that, but then the animated object (the child of the cloner) is also effected by the dynamics when it collides with the objects I want to be dynamic, I don't want it to be effected by the collision, but just cause the dynamic objects to react as it collides with them.

Hope that makes sense.. just trying to transfer what I know about SB4D to the MoDyn system. One thing I have to say also, I don't get why the default gravity value is '1000', I think Remos' implementation where he uses real-world values, ie 9.8mps as the default is more logical and intuitive.

cheers,
Brian

Hi,

if I understand the question correctly, you just add a rigid body tag to the object you want to hit the dynamics clones. That can then be animated, but it doesn't actually react to the dynamics simulation. That's what I did with the jenga movie.

Trig

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Venkman: Fantastic example of instances. I can't wait to see animations of scenes like that.
Thanks Venkman, here's an animated version of the scene:

Big Forest

09 September 2009
Nice! so what are the differences with the vray instances now?

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by ComputedEmotion: Thanks Venkman, here's an animated version of the scene:

Big Forest

Great!
Apart from the impossibility to render this in R11, what is the rendertime for this animation?
Thanks for posting!

odo

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by laurent: Nice! so what are the differences with the vray instances now?

They have some clever display modes, all we can do is display them as bounding boxes in OGL if they become too heavy. Other than that there's no difference.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by ComputedEmotion: Thanks Venkman, here's an animated version of the scene:

Big Forest

Great! Render instances is massively useful, and so quick, it's going to open up all sorts of possibilities...

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by ooo: Great!
Apart from the impossibility to render this in R11, what is the rendertime for this animation?
Thanks for posting!

odo
Thanks guys! Rendertime was around 8 minutes per frame at 4x AA.

09 September 2009
I am very happy about the last update as it is the definitive and final end for my involvement with VUE Software. Into the BIN it goes.... wheeeeeeee.
Rainer

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by LemonNado: I am very happy about the last update as it is the definitive and final end for my involvement with VUE Software. Into the BIN it goes.... wheeeeeeee.
Rainer

Totally agreed!
Except for the great atmospherics and skies I won't miss Vue now. But there are workarounds for this. So

odo

09 September 2009
Modynamics lipid bilayer

Hi all,

Here is a quick test of using modynamics to create a schematic lipid layer (cell surface) with a couple of globular transmembrane proteins twiddling around in it. Very easy to set up, and very promising....

http://www.bmc.med.utoronto.ca/wiki/test_bilayer_2c.mov

Much more evocative of the brownian turbulence of the cellular mesoscale than typical representations of a static lipid configuration.

With render instances, the simple spheres could be replaced with more accurate structures...

Nick

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Much more evocative of the brownian turbulence of the cellular mesoscale than typical representations of a static lipid configuration.

Nick

Ya hurt yer what?
We are disinclined to acquiesce to your request

The daily possibilities displayed by this update is geeking me out hard. Thanks Nick!
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Trig Fuller: Hi,

if I understand the question correctly, you just add a rigid body tag to the object you want to hit the dynamics clones. That can then be animated, but it doesn't actually react to the dynamics simulation. That's what I did with the jenga movie.

Trig

Thanks, I had assumed that should work, and it does if you have the dynamics starting from frame zero, but if you have 'Trigger on Collision' enabled so that the dynamics only start after the animated object collides with them (like the 'start sleeping' option in Silverbullet) it doesn't work.

Bug?

Cheers,
Brian

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Troyan: Ya hurt yer what?
We are disinclined to acquiesce to your request

Sorry! I've been writing to much academese lately....

Nick

09 September 2009
Movie

Here is a quick test with shattering glass

09 September 2009
The forest scene is awesome.

I have visions of rendering massive scenes on my laptop with 6GB of ram.

And waiting a long time for the render to complete, since it's only a dual core 2.53.

Thread Closed share thread