R 11.5 Test Renders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by ThePriest: What kind of system you running there @cmyk?
Even 11 minutes seems excessive

Great character though

I added my computer specs at the bottom, under the stills. You're right though, it's a bit long but not too bad, some of the scenes I create take 40 mins a frame or more. And believe you me, I'm pretty good at gaming AR3 to get good results with no hugely noticable compromises to get decent render times. Yet, I also tend to use a lot of features and settings that drive em up too. It's a never ending battle you're always fighting sometimes.

09 September 2009
Why does it take longer to render a 640 by 480 image to the picture viewer(12 minutes), but only a couple of minutes in the main view window at a much larger size?

rendered with the demo...

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by adrencg: Why does it take longer to render a 640 by 480 image to the picture viewer(12 minutes), but only a couple of minutes in the main view window at a much larger size?

LOD settings in the editor, or something that the editor isn't computing that the final render is?

09 September 2009
Some great examples here, love the tree render.

How long did it take to get that shot Bret? I remember playing 'virtual pool' with Reaflow dynamics, lots of fun putting tiny sideways forces on the cue and seeing how many balls you can pot.

cheers,
Brian

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by adrencg: Why does it take longer to render a 640 by 480 image to the picture viewer(12 minutes), but only a couple of minutes in the main view window at a much larger size?

There's a lot of different things that can cause this. First is if you're using things like HyperNURBS they have Editor and Render Settings, so the Viewport will render at a different resolution than when doing it at the PV level. The viewport also renders only what's in it's view. This can add to some calculation time. Usually, the main culprit for something like this is if you're rendering say, Frame 240, well it renders quick in the viewport, but if you try to render 240 alone in the PV, the Picture viewer has to calculate the frames up to that(so 0-239). It's not rendering the frames, but it must calculate them so things such as dynamics sims and other various things will be correct.

Usually if you choose Display>Level of Detail>Use Render LOD for Editor Rendering it will get the two times a lot closer in render times, but it will still have that calculating issue I mentioned just above.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Some great examples here, love the tree render.

How long did it take to get that shot Bret? I remember playing 'virtual pool' with Reaflow dynamics, lots of fun putting tiny sideways forces on the cue and seeing how many balls you can pot.

cheers,
Brian

Ehh, I dunno. It was like 5 minutes of Setup, and then it was just a lot of sims and trying to place the hoop in the right place. Then I cached the basketball using the net as a rigid body, then I converted it to be cloth so the ball slightly interacts with with the net a little bit. I maybe spent an hour on it all(the cloth part kept eluding me and Camera Animation...i suck at it) excluding render time which was just like...1 hour i think.

09 September 2009

Most probably because you have a much higher LOD than editor LOD, e.g. your HyperNURBS object is most likely to be set up at a higher res for rendering than in the editor.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by cmyk: Very nice work people. Surprising results. First thing I tested out with the 11.5 demo, was to render a character I'm working on in both R11, and R11.5 with all the same settings. It rendered almost 2x faster! (although, it was picking up an odd reflection in the glasses and eyes, didn't really look into the matter there?)

Great render!
He looks like Corrado „Uncle Junior“ Soprano

09 September 2009
@ TheFMan - Would you mind sharing the set up of your shatter scenes? I'm guessing it was with the PolyFX effector, but I can't figure out how to get this interacting with the dynamics tag.

**Edit. I just saw Lucent Dreams post on the other 11.5 thread. Cut into pieces manually then placed in a fracture object?

Last edited by Greasemonkey : 09 September 2009 at 10:31 AM.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Just messing around, a brick wall. Seems solid enough and setup is intuitive, and there's some nice features...

Hi Chris,

any chance you might share the settings for this wall. All i get when trying to do something like this is exploding bricks but not the smooth fallign of bigger blocks.

P..:

www.deinehelden.de

sketchblog

www.prayorpanic.com

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by ollle: Great render!
He looks like Corrado „Uncle Junior“ Soprano

Thanks! He certainly was the inspiration.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by prayas: Hi Chris,

any chance you might share the settings for this wall. All i get when trying to do something like this is exploding bricks but not the smooth fallign of bigger blocks.

P..:

No problemo - here's the file. Overlapping bricks is the problem I think if they explode right from the start.

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by cmyk:

Nice SSS skin there. Very silicone-y. Care to share??

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by cmyk: Very nice work people. Surprising results. First thing I tested out with the 11.5 demo, was to render a character I'm working on in both R11, and R11.5 with all the same settings. It rendered almost 2x faster! (although, it was picking up an odd reflection in the glasses and eyes, didn't really look into the matter there?)

BTW, I'm rendering on an 3GHz 8-core Intel Xeon Mac Pro.

Hi Kev, your characters just get sexier all the time!

RenderFriend - a render farm for growing happy pixels
C4D, Vray, 3DS Max, After Effects, Modo, Blender...

09 September 2009
One thing with MoDynamics I can't seem to figure out.

How do you make an animated object, that's not effected by the dynamics trigger a collision when it collides with a dynamic cloned group of clones? In Silverbullet you just enable the 'start sleeping' parameter for the dynamic objects, and then when the animated object collides with them the dynamics kick in. With modynamics I can only get it to work if I put the animated object under a cloner and animate that, but then the animated object (the child of the cloner) is also effected by the dynamics when it collides with the objects I want to be dynamic, I don't want it to be effected by the collision, but just cause the dynamic objects to react as it collides with them.

Hope that makes sense.. just trying to transfer what I know about SB4D to the MoDyn system. One thing I have to say also, I don't get why the default gravity value is '1000', I think Remos' implementation where he uses real-world values, ie 9.8mps as the default is more logical and intuitive.

cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 09 September 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Thread Closed share thread