Destruction plugin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2008   #51
Originally Posted by bandini: Sorry, version 11 plugin here. Was too large to upload on the forum.

It's a nifty plug-in, generates some nice effects that would take an age any other way, nice work The geometry seems just too much for a dynamics sim though, at least with SilverBullet - even with no intersections and simple slices the pieces quickly explode away from eachother. Probably a limitation of SilverBullet with such 'dirty' geometry rather than an error with this plugin.

Will keep digging though as it would be great to get this working in a sim.

Cheers - C

Old 12 December 2008   #52
Cool image.........

Peace,
Rich_Art.

Old 12 December 2008   #53
VERY cool! THank you!

Old 12 December 2008   #54
definately a cool plugin and a great addition to cinema!
i am just not getting those rough cuts, but plain straight ones. i am using r11 with windows

oh, and the visualisation of the slices dont work here...

edit: i am having the previous posted problems with silverbullet , too, but with phytools / uniflex it works. just that i dont have a setting yet for fully rigid bodies.

added a screenshot of a problem that appears with open meshes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg destruction1.jpg (27.0 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by ello23 : 12 December 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Old 12 December 2008   #55
Awesome plugin! Well done and I hope it gets developed a lot further.
btw, how would I get each of the pieces to 'fall' on top of each other - removing the even spaces between each part?

Thanks.

Old 12 December 2008   #56
Hi,

this is interesting plugins.
Since I could not find Windows 64-bit version here is it.

Remo
Attached Files
File Type: zip Destruction_013_R11_Win64bit.zip (108.1 KB, 1519 views)

Old 12 December 2008   #57
Quote: Hi,

Remo

Thanks, Remo!

Quote: Awesome plugin! Well done and I hope it gets developed a lot further.
btw, how would I get each of the pieces to 'fall' on top of each other - removing the even spaces between each part?

Either use 0 for separation, so there are no gaps, or use in a rigid bodies dynamics sim (which doesn't really seem to be working for anyone yet). You can try connecting your piecces and using cloth for the sim - but from my experience, you won't have much success calculating rigid body dynamics from these pieces with cloth.

Quote: definately a cool plugin and a great addition to cinema!
i am just not getting those rough cuts, but plain straight ones. i am using r11 with windows

oh, and the visualisation of the slices dont work here...

edit: i am having the previous posted problems with silverbullet , too, but with phytools / uniflex it works. just that i dont have a setting yet for fully rigid bodies.

added a screenshot of a problem that appears with open meshes.

For rough cuts, you need to play with the jaggedness settings. Since the visualizer is not working for you, you can try just doing 1 slice in a smple object the same size as the object you want to slice, then adjusting jaggedness settings until you get what you're looking for. Jaggedness works by displacing the cutting plane. So, height is the height of the displacment, detail is how finely the plane is divided, and scale is the scale of the noise used to displace the plane.

The visualizer does not seem to be working correctly on PCs at the moment. I have seen this problem on my own computer, and will look into it.

As for open meshes, they have not been factored into the plugin yet. Only closed meshed for now.

Old 12 December 2008   #58
One thing I forgot to mention...

Subdivide Whole Object requires the mograph module to work, as it uses the cloner object to assign random points on the surface geometry for slicing. This is really a temporary solution, and it will be replaced later by my own code to do the same thing without the mograph module.

Old 12 December 2008   #59
Thanks again!
Native c4d-dynamic testing(preview, xvid), is not so cool as previous posters. maxon please make comfortable dynamic!

Happy new Year to all Developers! May the Force(xcode&cforwin32/64) be with you

Old 12 December 2008   #60
brilliant stuff. I have been watching this topic over some time.
this looks cool. definitly try this one.
happy new year and a big thanks you.
P..:

www.deinehelden.de

sketchblog

www.prayorpanic.com

Old 12 December 2008   #61
Bye-Bye Meg

Using Explosion Deformer to take care of the animation. Obviously no collision detection with Explosion deformer. Please excuse the eye that disturbingly pops out of her head.

Old 01 January 2009   #62
That's gotta hurt

Very nice work!

Cheers,
Brian

Old 01 January 2009   #63
Originally Posted by Remotion: Hi,

Remo

Thanks for this one (and thanks in general for the plugin to its creator). Whereas the 32bit version is crashing easily the 64bit one doesn't crash but is a memory hog (it easily eats up several GB of RAM). So I'd think most crashes come from high memory usage.

CU
Michael

Old 01 January 2009   #64
i
Originally Posted by bandini: Please excuse the eye that disturbingly pops out of her head.
Awesome work, Adam. Your industriousness always amazes me. I think I remember the inspiration for this plugin.

Old 01 January 2009   #65
I am coming back for the moment to my problem I had with overlapping chunks in RealFlow. Now that the separation offset can be adjusted so easily, testing different settings was quickly done. The result is, that a decent separation offset such as 1 fixes the problem in that rigid bodies subjected to gravity. The movie shows some kind of "inhibition" of chunks in the middle cube with separation offset=0, while the others are fine:
Quicktime, 3 MB
http://www.cardiomyocytes.com/movie...paration-RF.mov

Old 01 January 2009   #66
Originally Posted by ChristianZ: I am coming back for the moment to my problem I had with overlapping chunks in RealFlow.

Your tests look great, looks like RealFlow is a winner with this one. A geometry swap or just two renders and a wipe at the moment of collision would make the illusion pretty convincing, nice work I'm guessing the simulation is pretty quick to calculate? How does it go with more complex destructions?

Unfortunately SilverBullet is still not playing, will post back if I get anywhere.

Cheers - Chris

Old 01 January 2009   #67
Houdini Test

Animation Here

For this test, the geometry was created in C4D with my destruction plugin, and the sim was done in Houdini. Note that even though there is no spacing between the cracks at all - and there's some pretty funky geometry (notice the small pieces that are separate but still "attached" to another chunk) - Houdini handles the sim just fine. The sim time on this was just over two minutes.

Internally, Houdini creates its own proxy geometry for the collisions, which is why it can deal with complex geometry so well - and it has a certain level of tolerance for geometry with coincident points or overlapping polygons. No need to swap anything out at collision time or have awkward seams in the mesh.

This is what I would really like to see implemented in the next C4D dynamics update.

Last edited by bandini : 01 January 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #68
Originally Posted by bandini: This is what I would really like to see implemented in the next C4D dynamics update.

LOL, what do you mean, next update. Maxon hasn't touched Dynamics since it was released as a plugin for version 7.

BTW - I love the looks of this plugin, and am looking forward to trying it out.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 01 January 2009   #69
Quote: LOL, what do you mean, next update. Maxon hasn't touched Dynamics since it was released as a plugin for version 7.

They made great strides forward with hair and cloth the last couple years. Dynamics seems like the next logical step. Hopefully integrated dynamics - hair, cloth, rigid bodies, particles all working together

Here's a couple more tests. Same as before. Fracturing in C4D, dynamics in houdini.

Sorry Meg 1
Sorry Meg 2

Old 01 January 2009   #70
Originally Posted by bandini: As for open meshes, they have not been factored into the plugin yet. Only closed meshed for now.

thanks for your reply. about the open meshes, they appear after pressing ok. maybe its windows related that the mesh is not created properly..

for the jaggedness it just seem not to work here. i attached a shot including the settings.

edit: remo, your zip seems to be corrupted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg destruction2.jpg (21.5 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by ello23 : 01 January 2009 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #71
Hi Bandini,
I really love this plugin. Hopefully you will get the time to develop it further. This feature should be standard in Cinema. You made me curious about using Houdini for the dynamics, i'm gonna look into that aswell.

Thanks!

Old 01 January 2009   #72
New Houdini tests look fine, it's useful to know this is possible. Shame that dynamics are only in HoudiniMaster though, that $8k price tag is a pretty serious wedge of cash.

Still... if the right job comes along I wonder how possible it is to export baked animations out of Houdini for rendering back in Cinema, and inclusion in Cinema scenes?

Cheers - Chris

Old 01 January 2009   #73
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: LOL, what do you mean, next update. Maxon hasn't touched Dynamics since it was released as a plugin for version 7.

BTW - I love the looks of this plugin, and am looking forward to trying it out.

sorry maxon... especially, when i tried to translate several thing from dynamics... got from string data: IDS_SHIT_HAPPENS and it's text "The engine found no solution! Please try another constellation!" definitely LOL ...
---
dynamics and sb4d work with separation's values: 0.5-1 and several pieces have increased mass or dynamic-behaviour(trick/hack)

Last edited by ilay : 01 January 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #74
Hi Bandini,
FOA The best for 2009 to you & everybody here
Yeah, tell us a bit more about the export of houdini to C4d ?
Is that a obj seq ?
Thanks

Old 01 January 2009   #75
Quote: Yeah, tell us a bit more about the export of houdini to C4d ?

My tests were rendered out of Houdini, not Cinema. I have the Apprentice version, which is free, but watermarks the rendered images and does not allow geometry export - basically the learning edition.

To get objects into Houdini I saved out my chunks as one file (just the chunks, no nulls or parents) as one obj file, then brought into Houdini with a file node. From what I understand, Houdini can work with obj and fbx, although I believe FBX is the preferred format. For output, fbx would be the output format if you want the animation data to come through. I'm not sure what it would use for softbodies, though. Houdini is supposed to integrate very well both ways with Maya via fbx, so it is reasonable to assume it should be able to work with Cinema, as well.

Old 01 January 2009   #76
Originally Posted by ello23: for the jaggedness it just seem not to work here. i attached a shot including the settings.

Your jaggedness scale is set way too high at 5000. Try setting it to 300 or less. Lower settings give more detail. Higher settings give less. Try also increasing your jaggedness detail to 50 or 60, as well.

Old 01 January 2009   #77
i did that as well. see attached image. i simply cannot get it to work here. strange
Attached Images
File Type: jpg destruction3.jpg (26.8 KB, 168 views)

Old 01 January 2009   #78
Originally Posted by ello23: i did that as well. see attached image. i simply cannot get it to work here. strange

Weird. Anyone else having that problem?

Are you on Mac or PC? What version of C4D?

Old 01 January 2009   #79
i am using the latest update of r11 on a vista 64bit pc. i was just about looking into the source, but i am still stumbling isolating and excluding all the mograph stuff and as i am not that good as coding even this may be to much for me...

Old 01 January 2009   #80
Is it possible to try running the app in 32bit mode and see if the problem is with the 64bit compile? I have no way to verify if the problem is in 64bit mode or not.

I wouldn't even try looking at the source. At this stage, it's a big mess, and I'm probably the only one who can really explain what's happening in it.

You can take a look at the elements.c4d file in the scene folder in the res directory. This is the actual object that is used for slicing. There should be a mograph deformer in there with a noise texture parented to the slicing object. All the jaggedness settings do is control the strength of that deformer and the noise scale. Check if that's working in the file - just don't save that file or else you risk breaking the plugin. If that is not working or the deformer is not there, that would explain the problem.

Old 01 January 2009   #81
Christian, i tried your settings at r11 win32(units=cm)

Last edited by ilay : 01 January 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #82
Originally Posted by bandini: There should be a mograph deformer in there with a noise texture parented to the slicing object. All the jaggedness settings do is control the strength of that deformer and the noise scale. Check if that's working in the file - just don't save that file or else you risk breaking the plugin. If that is not working or the deformer is not there, that would explain the problem.

ok. thats what i feared. it definately needs mograph than.

Last edited by ello23 : 01 January 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #83
Explains why the visualizer does not work for you, either, as it uses mograph to place the visualizer planes.

Old 01 January 2009   #84
this plugin looks quite cool, thanks alot!
gonna play with it later today

Old 01 January 2009   #85
Wow! Looking for something like this for ages. Thanks alot for the share !
Impatient to play with it =D

Old 01 January 2009   #86
Big Thanks
Im using R11 and Realflow4 for my VFX Demo eel
this will add to it nicely

Old 01 January 2009   #87
Looks like a very promising plugin. I'll give it a whirl soon! Thanks, bandini!

Old 01 January 2009   #88
I don't own RF or Houdini. Thus, I'm wondering why you need C4D + this Destruction plugin + RF/Houdini to create the animations in this thread? I mean, couldn't you create the same animations in RF or Houdini ***WITHOUT*** having to use C4D + Destruction plugin???

Just curious.

Old 01 January 2009   #89
Originally Posted by spirozero: I don't own RF or Houdini. Thus, I'm wondering why you need C4D + this Destruction plugin + RF/Houdini to create the animations in this thread? I mean, couldn't you create the same animations in RF or Houdini ***WITHOUT*** having to use C4D + Destruction plugin???

Just curious.

You'd use Cinema + Destruction to create the solid geometry. Then use any package that can calculate smooth and realistic dynamics from that geometry. If Cinema offered a Dynamic engine as good as those found in RF or Houdini, you could keep the whole thing in C4D.

Old 01 January 2009   #90
Originally Posted by cmyk: You'd use Cinema + Destruction to create the solid geometry. Then use any package that can calculate smooth and realistic dynamics from that geometry. If Cinema offered a Dynamic engine as good as those found in RF or Houdini, you could keep the whole thing in C4D.

Yes Sadly Even poser has a better Dynamics Solution than Cinema4D At the moment- (poser physics)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXlKAeydFg4

Old 01 January 2009   #91
Have anyone tried using Blender dynamics with this plugin?

Old 01 January 2009   #92
Blender is free why not try it yourself.

Old 01 January 2009   #93
I have needed this plugin many times!! - looking forward to a release!

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 01 January 2009   #94
64bit version not working at all?

Hi bandini,

tried the plugin first time you posted but was now trying to work with it in R11 64bit.
The only thing i get is the Null object but the parts are not appearing.

Any idea why?

Thanks for any help.

P..:

www.deinehelden.de

sketchblog

www.prayorpanic.com

Old 01 January 2009   #95
Do you have the mograph module? Some functionality is dependent on it. Other than that, I can't say much about the 64bit version, as I don't have the resources to test it out. Sorry, Prayas.

Old 01 January 2009   #96
Yes, on the system in tested there is mograph installed. 32bit exe works fine with it. so i think i have to just stick with it for now.

Thanks for a very cool plugin.

P..:

www.deinehelden.de

sketchblog

www.prayorpanic.com

Old 01 January 2009   #97
http://www.vimeo.com/2825164

Some fun with the destruction plugin
this is a great addition to my VFX tool set

Thanks

Old 03 March 2009   #98
Super awesome plugin! Thanks so much for your ingenuity and generosity!

---h

Old 03 March 2009   #99
Is this plugin still in development? Haven't heard a while about it. And because it's such a kickass plugin I was hoping a more stable version would come. I really really like it, good job

Old 03 March 2009   #100
Me too! This plugin makes me want to experiment with cinema again. I was really disapointed when i tried for the radial crack option and it wouldnt let me. no pressure or anything, after all it is free and your doing it out of the goodness of your heart but it is such a cool plugin im really hoping we do see more of it!

Thread Closed share thread