What would you like to have?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Oh definitely 3rd Eye---but as they say (at least in the US), "when in Rome" (pun intended).

The terrain module is just a pipe dream--thought I'd throw it in there since we were talking about what we'd like to see.

If just ONE of the many items we've listed makes it into R9, it would be a good thing.

02 February 2003
Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a terrain generator, or better a sea generator like Maya fluids, but i'd like to see ngons before any other thing because i think they're more basic and necessary if compared to a terrain generator.

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by ThirdEye_01
Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a terrain generator, or better a sea generator like Maya fluids, but i'd like to see ngons before any other thing because i think they're more basic and necessary if compared to a terrain generator.

yup, screw the fancy stuff... for now
I'm tired of c4d just creating tris wherever it pleases :annoyed:

02 February 2003
i tend to agree with you guys....more focus to the requests we make of maxon and what i feel are the basics to radically improve our experience of it....

personally i hope maxon take it seriously....and i like the idea of people being able to select what they want and sign etc.....would be even slicker if it could auto complete the form on maxons site as it sounds like this is the only method of changing program input!

Henry Moore

02 February 2003
here are some minor/major improvements that I would love to see.
1. REALTIME FEEDBACK OF ACTIVE TOOL TEXT - Let there be feedback between the extrude family (ie all the tools that build faces upon faces like bevel, extrude inner etc.) and the text input box of the active tool window. So that if you extrude in the viewport, you see the numbers change in the requester.
This should be progam-wide... the weight tool would benefit from this as well. Imagine weighting visually and looking at the value, and then being able to type that value for other objects for that must have the same amount of weighting.

2. NGONS - definitely ngons. coming from lightwave , it drives me crazy to have to be so careful to not mistakenly generate tris as that takes forever.

3. VIEWPORT HEADER - PLEASE can we see in the view header the name of the view, ie top/ right/ front. When scenes get complex , (at least for me) it sometimes gets irritating to check which view I am working on.
Not a biggy, but I dont think it should be that hard to add. Even extreme 3d had it

4. MIRROR OBJECT- like has been said earlier.

5. MAGNET RADIUS DISPLAY - It would be nice in the viewport to see a range where tool like magnet would exert influence. ie when you use the magnet tool, you see blue outlines showing radius/ shape/width.

Other tools would benefit from things like this. So in order not to make this list too long. A program wide implementation of strong feedback between viewport and active tool box.

6. I am surely forgetting somthing.

cheers folks

Alfred
Zoogie Vision

02 February 2003
I second the magnet radius display.

02 February 2003
thirdeye brought up an important note for all of you actually, the more focused users are on one or two features, the more likelymaxon might go for it, I meanif evryone asks for ten features then maxon might go for a few of the easier ones just because they look good for providing as many as possible, users seem happy for a short while because of so many new features, but then they are still disapointed that there are no ngons for example. beter everyone focus on the two they feel most essential, and don'tforget when each point release comes out, some thing many change, and thus your feature requests may change as well.

02 February 2003
I think the compiled list thats eventually sent to Maxon should be short and sweet--but if there are specific things users would like to see implemented--and those things would be helpful to their particular workflow--then they should be posted here.

No one ever asked for TP or expecxted it to be included--but it turned out to be a powerful addition to the program.

But yes--the modelling tools could be improved upon.

My simplified list:

Object joining/smoothing,
N-Gons,
and better global texture editiing would be my top 3.

02 February 2003
remeber rather than a fancy list, you should all submit this, its quantity over quality guys, the more people that submit a certain feature to maxon through their form the better, don't send one request five times though, what maxon takes into account I think when looking at new features (this is my opinion not necessairly true) is that they look for what would be the features that would help the majority of users.

02 February 2003
I would like to see.

C4D
------
Ngons

A more intuitive knife.

BP3d
------

Colour balancing like you can do in Photoshop

A history brush type set up,with snap shots etc

Curves

And maybe a preview system like Viper for LW for both C4d and BP3d

Ability to take a snap shot of your image as opposed to create outlines.

Stu.

02 February 2003
local rotation of points, edges or polys...i honestly don't know if this can be done, but i haven't found a way, unless i'm totally missin' something.

if i select points, say, to rotate the jaw, i would like to rotate it at the jaw, not at the center of my selection...does that make sense? anyways, lightwave has it and i really enjoy it and i haven't found a way to do that in c4d....if it can be done, please share...if not, then put it in, maxon!

02 February 2003
here comes the complete list, tell me if it's ok or not

MODELING

- Nearly every C4D user needs N-gons support, itís really really painful to work only with tris and quads.
- freeform knife
- edge detecting knife to connect vertexes and edges (like the split polygon tool in Maya)
- iges nurbs import
- non-modal Edit Surface tools (for example an interactive matrix extrude tool, or an interactive crumple tool...)
- functioning edgeloops selections, now they donít work properly in the 90% of the cases
- a melt tool for edges, vertexes and faces is really important
- edgespin (like spinquads plugin)
- point smoother (like iron plugin) and in general something really similar to Maya Artisan
- extrude along spline tool
- weld tools included and active on edges too; in general a more unified implimentation of modeling tools (one bevel, one extrude...)
- better mobile axis (it should be possible to place it where we need, ie to make a rotation on a determinate point)
- constraints on edges and faces to move edges and points along a face axis or an edge axis

MATERIALS AND RENDERING

- interactive render region (like XSIís or Lw Viper or Maya IPR or Max activeshade)
- render region to file
- SubSurfaceScattering channel shader (like Translucency plugin without all the instabilities of Translucency)
- solve for black artifacts in glass in GI
- faster and more precise GI to prevent flickering during animations
- micropoly displacement mapping
- shadows influenced by bump mapping
- nodebased rendertree
- a new refraction channel with a variable index of refraction and controls over distance for reflections and refractions; include-exclude objectlist for reflections and refractions
- faster area shadows
- C4D should allow to output to other render engines such as Renderman. This would help to integrate the program in big pipelines, when all they use is Renderman, but it would also help single users that want to use Renderman compliant renderers.
- new Non Photorealistic Renderer
- possibility to have more than a single picture viewer for renders.

INTERFACE AND WORKFLOW

- spherical rotation gizmo like Max, Maya and XSI that displays the rotation amount (same thing for moving and scaling gizmos, they should react to actions and show a variation amount). Many other features like the magnet tool should display a visual range where the tool would exert influence. Tools like extrude and bevel should display a numeric real time feedback.
- viewport header: it would be really useful to see in the viewport header the name of the view (ie top/right/front/perspective)
- automatic detecting of saved textures. Now they have to be manually reloaded.
- layers (like in Photoshop or Maya)
- construction history like Maya and possibility to make your own expressions-scripts and icons with Xpresso
- custom visualization filter for each viewport (to turn on/off polygon objects, deformers, cameras, lights... In each viewport)
- possibility to customize camera mode, many users just donít feel comfortable with 1,2,3 keys + mouse click
- FBX support
- mouse sensible viewports and windows (now you have to click on each viewport to make it active)
- itís necessary to see edges even if point-edge-face mode arenít selected

BODYPAINT 3D

- colour balancing
- curves
- blur, burn, dodge tools
- projection paint to prevent poles

SIMPLER, MORE ACCURATE AND FASTER DYNAMICS MODULE
NEW VOXELS MODULE THAT CAN USE CINEMA4D MATERIAL SYSTEM AND CAN INTEGRATE WITH THINKING PARTICLES (like Lightwave Hypervoxels, Maya Fluids...)

02 February 2003
very nicely compiled, ThirdEye.

02 February 2003
Awesome , Third Eye!

Since you mention a request for Renderman comptibility, would Lightwave Export be something Maxon could implement--or would that be a Newtek thing?

As some of us have found, being a cinema user can make it harder to get freelance jobs with studios that have an all Lightwave, Maya or Max pipeline. If there was smoother export to other apps it would mean more jobs for us.

For instance, (as I've been ranting about here and elsewhere ), building a model in c4d, then texturing and exporting to OBJ may insure that the model data is able to smoothly transfer from C4d to lightwave, but getting the textures and selections to transfer is a different story.

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by JoelD
Awesome , Third Eye!

Since you mention a Renderman comptibility, would Lightwave Export be something Maxon could implement--or would that be a Newtek thing?

As some of us have found, being a cinema user can make it harder to get freelance jobs with studios that have an all Lightwave, Maya or Max pipeline. If there was smoother export to other apps it would mean more jobs for us.

For instance, (as I've been ranting about here and elsewhere ), building a model in c4d, then texturing and exporting to OBJ may insure that the model data is able to smoothly transfer from C4d to lightwave, but getting the textures and selections to transfer is a different story.

The FBX support is just for that, don't worry

Thread Closed share thread