So impressed with AR 2.5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by ngrava: I think what you guys are seeing is the speed up with Area lights. If you have a scene without them, you probably wont see an difference.

-=GB=-

hmm-maybe it's just some miracle from God or something! I just use hdri with no extra lights, and
it's definitely alot faster. I've tried it on a few different old files and they're all 25-30% quicker using GI /HDRI.

09 September 2005
I am very, very impresssed tooo.

i feel very vray like suddenly in ar, or maybe even better,
-everything just does as i would expect, the lights the areashadows, reflection, GI (almost, but much better) i con combine area lights blurred reflections GI- still very smooth and speedy!

i dont know what they did, but they made it a hell lot better than before. also love sky, the new arealights seem to be reat although i havent understand until now how the more complex really work.

hope baker is that good as expected, it doesnt save the text in demo, but looked quite good.
whats the difference between texture baking and object baking?

well ave to explore more, but a real BIG thanks to the maxon team!

cheers
stefan

andonikos- this is an amazing speed increase- have to test stoch too here:-)

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by lllab: whats the difference between texture baking and object baking?

The Object baker is a lot more automatic (it makes a duplicate of your object, applies a new material with the baked texture in on the duplicate and so on), but it is slightly less flexible than the texture baker. So, it comes down to the choice in each situation, if you need maximum flexibility (texture bake) or maximum ease of use (object bake).

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by ngrava: I think what you guys are seeing is the speed up with Area lights. If you have a scene without them, you probably wont see an difference.

-=GB=-

No, that's simply wrong. Make a new scene, throw Otto in and put the HN subdivisions to 3 or 4, just to get some decent poly count. Render it, even with autolight, and you'll see a helluva difference in the render times. The speed difference can go up to 1000-2000%, depending on the scene, normally it's around 200%, it goes up once you throw in blurry reflections, GI, and area shadows, especially together, but due to the AA changes you basically always get a speedup.

09 September 2005
as james said the object baker is like a baker wizard, it even creates uv maps if you like.

cheers,
Bob

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kai Pedersen
man you guys are making me go insane, what GI speedups are you talking about? There were no changes, the only thing GI specific that might improve rendertimes is not including illumination in the prepass, but these dramatic speedups everyone keep smentioning are not the GI itself.

That's correct.
I've conducted many tests, each different:
1. A scene only lit by radiosity without blurry effects, no lights and no AA. Both took to render exactly 2minutes [c4d r9.1 versus r9.5].
2. I made a test scene with some primitives on which I applied a material with blurry reflections. I put two omni-lights with area shadows turned on. Further more, I turned on radiosity: stoch samp: 100; min/max:20/40; diffuse depth:5. In R9.1 took over 31 minutes and in R9.5 took only exactly 3 minutes to render it entirely.

When I turned off the blurry reflections... the difference wasn't sooo dramatic: from about 4mins. to 2mins.

In a scene i'm working on... which uses omni lights with soft shadows + radiosity, no blurry reflections... the render times are, dunno why, lower in R9.5: 7mins vs. 4mins.

The first render test... clearly shows that the GI hasn't been improved. Only the AA, area shadows and very much... the blurry reflections.

Congrats to Maxon for the C4D R9.5 upgrade. Well done. No crashes on my side ... rock stable.

09 September 2005
well GI stoch mode must have been improved much in some way:

just did a test with a scene i posted some days ago:

in stochGI:
9.1: 13:54mn
9.5: 4:13mn!

cool,
cheers
stefan

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by lllab: well GI stoch mode must have been improved much in some way:

just did a test with a scene i posted some days ago:

in stochGI:
9.1: 13:54mn
9.5: 4:13mn!

probably the speedup you're seeing here depends on two things:

1) the AA changes we talked about
2) the fact stochastic mode and blurry reflections / area shadows are computed with the same method

09 September 2005
I've done a load of tests and I've rarely found ANY scene that just doesn't render more quickly with R9.5. If you add soft reflections and area lights the effect is much more pronounced - one scene I had that took nearly two hours in R9 took just 8 minutes in 9.5!

Of course, there are now many differences in how the renderer works: I found it hard to even replicate the reflections between the (identical) scenes. I also started winding down the render settings to get a decent render time in R9. And when I go it down to 30 mins, the 9.5 scene was rendering in about three!

09 September 2005
"the fact stochastic mode and blurry reflections / area shadows are computed with the same method"

... this is logical- i thought that already:-9)

cheers
stefan

09 September 2005
hehe, you almost get the impression that by adding blurry refs and area shadows it will make the render even faster than without them!

Last edited by STRAT : 09 September 2005 at 10:58 AM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by lllab: the fact stochastic mode

Where is this 'fast stochastic mode'? I think you need to do a test (like I did) where you are ONLY rendering with stochastic, and not also with area shadows, AA or blurry stuff. My results tell me that stochastic is not any faster in 9.5 vs. 9.1 Those other things seem to be (I wouldn't know since I eliminated all of them from my work so I could actually get stuff done) faster, which is good. But the base GI calcs are looking to be no faster than before.

09 September 2005
i did a test with a scene not using any blurry effect.

it renders 300% faster than before in stoch mode at that scene, not using ANY blurred effect.

i didnt write fast but "fact"- (it was part of a sentence i quoted-see above)
the fact seem to be that the stoch mode uses the same allgorythms as the blurry effects so it also gains speed - same as blurry stuff.

cheers
stefan

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by lllab: i did a test with a scene not using any blurry effect.

it renders 300% faster than before in stoch mode at that scene, not using ANY blurred effect.

i didnt write fast but "fact"

Stefan

Indeed, it was 'fact', and I knew you were quoting but that wasn't clear in how I used it, either. After a life of well above 'normal' vision, I am now 42 and cannot see anything, closer that my outstretched hand, very clearly. I have an unfilled prescription for glasses, last night my wife said 'get over it, get the glasses'. 'Fact' looks enough like 'fast'. And I want to find that fast stochastic because when I loaded my 9.1 stochastic rendering model into 9.5 and hit 'render' I got a similar result (a bit slower actually). I used no AA, blurries or area shadows. It was plain stochastic and it wasn't any faster.

And when I said 'you' should do a plain vanilla test I also meant the broader you, not directed at just you. Its a Monday holiday and I have to work. Please forgive me my pooply composed post.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Ernest Burden: I used no AA, blurries or area shadows. It was plain stochastic and it wasn't any faster.

then add some, see what it does to the render times!

Thread Closed share thread