So impressed with AR 2.5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
So impressed with AR 2.5

Congrats Maxon, I came from 3D Studio Max with some hope of using Cinema for ArchViz
to find what I consider the best modeling tools, best workflow i'd ever seen.
My only beef was a slight let down with the GI solutions and I've read enough about splotches to last a life time.

Hats off to the whole team with the update.

This is an awfully simple scene, but at 1min 12seconds with 2 Area lights.
(1200 x 900 Original size) It simply blows my mind.

Radiosity settings default, Area settings default.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg area_sun_light.jpg (76.6 KB, 1340 views)

09 September 2005
The speed improvement is insane. I rendered a scene with a high poly car and HDRI GI. The old 8.5 render time was roughly 2hrs per frame. The new render time is 20 minutes.

I couldn't beleive it. Awesome job guys, again.

09 September 2005
That looks very nice.

Was that a test scene? Any chance you could post the file?

09 September 2005
most cool. out of interest, can you render this exact same scene in gi stoch mode in both 9.1 and 9.5 to see any speed differences?

09 September 2005
haha, and the other thread is like... oh no the renderer sucks... ugh I want a consensus!

-JIII

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Congrats Maxon, I came from 3D Studio Max with some hope of using Cinema for ArchViz
to find what I consider the best modeling tools, best workflow i'd ever seen.
My only beef was a slight let down with the GI solutions and I've read enough about splotches to last a life time.

Hats off to the whole team with the update.

This is an awfully simple scene, but at 1min 12seconds with 2 Area lights.
(1200 x 900 Original size) It simply blows my mind.

Radiosity settings default, Area settings default.

Looks very good, ThePriest! Thanks for posting. I am shaking at the thought of an AR3.0, at this rate, Maxon is not playing around anymore.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by JIII: haha, and the other thread is like... oh no the renderer sucks... ugh I want a consensus!

-JIII

My vote is a big thumbs up.
I haven't done GI renders in the past because of the long render times. But with the 9.5 demo, GI is fast enough to be an viable option for me.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by destro80: My vote is a big thumbs up.
I haven't done GI renders in the past because of the long render times. But with the 9.5 demo, GI is fast enough to be an viable option for me.

man you guys are making me go insane, what GI speedups are you talking about? There were no changes, the only thing GI specific that might improve rendertimes is not including illumination in the prepass, but these dramatic speedups everyone keep smentioning are not the GI itself.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by STRAT: most cool. out of interest, can you render this exact same scene in gi stoch mode in both 9.1 and 9.5 to see any speed differences?

small test:

1 omni (area shadows)
GI Stochastic Mode

09 September 2005
Question Standard/Stochastic?

What are the practical and visible differences between standard and stochastic radiosity? The manual doesn't really explain it beyond mentioning that stochastic mode simulates the ARNOLD renderer (and what's that?).

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kai Pedersen: man you guys are making me go insane, what GI speedups are you talking about? There were no changes, the only thing GI specific that might improve rendertimes is not including illumination in the prepass, but these dramatic speedups everyone keep smentioning are not the GI itself.

Ha Ha...welcome to the insane club.
I think it maybe the overall increase in rendering speed that's doing it. I haven't really done GI before, so it's hard to work out exactly whats up with the speed. All I remember with GI was that it took so long to render I would give up in frustration. Could be that the AA speed up is making the total render time acceptable.

09 September 2005
I'm not that impressed with AR 2.5 but stoch mode GI is faster, even in this simple test. The speed difference probably multiplies when heavier geometry comes into play.

09 September 2005
I'm not necessarily implying that GI is faster, only that the ideal setup for a well lit scene is
now possible in much less time than previous versions of AR.

That ideal setup for me being light portals w/ area shadows in the windows,
a skylight, a directional light with an area shadow, that doesn't take two days to render.

Now you can commit one area light for all the connected pieces of glass geometry in a scene
Of course 4 glass panels is equal to 4 area lights
but it's far less time consuming than placing them by all by hand.
I found this feature alone phenomenal.

Given the small improvements to GI and the speed increases area lights,
it's going to make our lives very much easier.

Last edited by ThePriest : 09 September 2005 at 07:46 AM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kai Pedersen: man you guys are making me go insane, what GI speedups are you talking about? There were no changes, the only thing GI specific that might improve rendertimes is not including illumination in the prepass, but these dramatic speedups everyone keep smentioning are not the GI itself.

whatever it is, I don't care! I'm just really happy with an almost 30% increase in speed using hdri. It's the sole reason I'll be upgrading from 8.5. (and n-gons of course)

09 September 2005
I think what you guys are seeing is the speed up with Area lights. If you have a scene without them, you probably wont see an difference.

-=GB=-

Thread Closed share thread